Author Topic: Old Fluke Multimeters  (Read 356189 times)

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
Re: Old Fluke Multimeters
« Reply #125 on: February 15, 2014, 12:48:48 am »
Fluke story this month: The switch to a rotary switch

Offline saposoft

• Contributor
« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2014, 03:25:19 pm »
Dave
Great thread and great interview, loved to hear about those great engineering adventures.
I suppose the spreadsheet on the Apple II you used to do calculation was "Visicalc", been there, done that https://www.eevblog.com/forum/Smileys/default/smiley.gif.

Offline Marvin

• Contributor
« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2014, 06:21:04 am »
So I bit the bullet and got myself a 8060A from eBay from a seller in Austria. And oh what a score it was - it still has an old calibration "sticker" (it is really more like some print transfer, if I REALLY REALLY wanted I could get it off with elbow grease but as it is not sticky I will let it be, on top of it was a newer sticker that was really sticky and I removed with citrus based sticker residue remover AND it has even a newer 2010 calibration sticker. Someone really loved the meter and took good care of it. Compared it to my 2 years old 87V and it is spot on in 4 and a half digits mode VDC! And it beats the 87V in high frequency AC measurement (measured 100kHz from Der EE DE-5000 LCR meter and 87V was showing already something like 500mV while 8060A displayed 0.6469V that is much closer to what it is on 100/120/1k/10k, on sub 100k modes on the DE-5000 both Fluke meters measure the same test voltage within the spec).  I cracked it open just to verify and without removing the inner shield I could just see that it is one of the original types and has an SC77174 chip with 1987 datecode. But take a look at this, it was NOT Made in USA - it was Made in Holland!

Offline particleman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #128 on: February 18, 2014, 07:10:17 am »
My go to DMM is a fluke 8800A I love that meter just got it back from the calibration man and its perfect. I want another one Im always looking on the auction site for a broken on to fix.

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2014, 12:29:06 pm »
Having heard that these meters are Not Too Bad™, I decided to pick a 8024A and a 8060(IBM edition) up on auction. Can't wait to use them!

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #130 on: February 18, 2014, 05:28:59 pm »
We have many 189's around here, and I love using them. This old 8060A though still works great! Rotary knobs are nicer, but the measurements on this meter are quite accurate.

Offline vinlove

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #131 on: February 18, 2014, 10:58:25 pm »
Hi All

I am a newbie in Electronics, so please excuse my ignorance in the field.

My question about these old DMM is how long will they keep on working accurately and be useful. I mean they are all more than 20 years old, so will they not need recapping if they use any capacitors in the circuit inside these DMM?

Or are they OK in this respect, and will last much longer without having to get serviced? Thanks in advance.

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2014, 02:45:23 am »

My question about these old DMM is how long will they keep on working accurately and be useful. I mean they are all more than 20 years old, so will they not need recapping if they use any capacitors in the circuit inside these DMM?

Or are they OK in this respect, and will last much longer without having to get serviced?

I can speak from my experience. I believe that my experience is typical based on what other people have written.

1) There are electrolytic capacitors in these meters. And yes the electrolytic capacitors can leak after about 20 years, depending on how the meter was stored.

2) The good news is that most of the time, replacing the capacitors and very careful cleaning of the board. I scrub the board with a small brush and 99% Isopropyl alcohol (IPA).

3) There are also issues with LCD displays. The display can be fuzzy or have bleeding.

4) The other issue is that the zebra strips in the LCD connections may have to be cleaned with IPA and re-assembled.

5) The other issue that I have seen is a shorted zener diode which is parallel with the DC jack / battery. The Zener is to protect from reverse polarity and over-voltage.

So if you are buying one, check for a nice clear LCD display. Check the battery compartment for corrosion.

Remember the HRC fuses are expensive around $10.00.

When they are restored, these meter are remarkably accurate.

[ I had one very tricky repair. At some point in its life it had been overloaded causing failure of the MOVs on the input. This contaminated the board with carbon. You tell this if you set the meter to read the highest ohms range and it doesn't read OL. I had almost given up. Then I cleaned the board in a ultrasonic cleaner for 1 hour at 50C. Then 1 more hour with clean water. I tried the board. This fixed the problem. ]

The performance of the meters did not happen by accident. Fluke engineers, including Dave Taylor the designer of the 8060A, put a tremendous amount of effort into choosing the best components for the application. The protection circuits in these meters is also very good.

I have about 6 8060A, including one of the Blue IBM units. I also have an 8024B.

You should have at least 1.

Jay_Diddy_B

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline vinlove

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2014, 09:24:25 am »
Thank you Jay_Diddy. Great answer.https://www.eevblog.com/forum/Smileys/default/icon_smile_thumbsup.gif
Would it be better off buying new DMM if one is not prepared or able to restore these old DMMs?

Offline Marvin

• Contributor
« Reply #134 on: February 19, 2014, 09:43:28 am »
This was my 4th Fluke - I'd say it's more of an advanced tool today. In general for example the 87V beats it hands down in general use and has more general features like capacitor test and analog graph. The 8060A is nice to do audio stuff as it has dB conversion mode but it is not autoranging, so it's a question of preference. I got the 8060A for audio use, joins the family of my first and the most "useless" made in China Fluke 17B, my second was 87V that has been the most useful. My third is 27/FM that I got for outside use, already put it to use repairing my car. Technically by spec the 8060A is more precise than the 87V but that is 1 year from the calibration - my 8060A was calibrated in 2010 and is still spot on/or a few last counts "different" (I will not say out) comparing it to 2 years old 87V - so I would not be surprised if it is even more precise than 87V. It is not a mandatory tool but it is a nice tool for the money it is going for in eBay.

Just a comparison of VDC on 87V in high precision mode (have to multiply the general precision +digits by 10) where by spec the 8060A is better:
Code: [Select]
87V 3.5 digits 87V 4.5 digits 8060A
600mV 0.1mV ±(0.1% + 1) 200mV 0.01mV ±(0.1% + 10) 200mV 0.01mV ±(0.04% + 2)
6.000V 0.001V ±(0.05% + 1) 2V 0.1mV ±(0.05% + 10) 2V 0.1mV ±(0.04% + 2)
60.00V 0.01V ±(0.05% + 1) 20V 0.001V ±(0.05% + 10) 20V 0.001V ±(0.05% + 2)
600.0V 0.1V ±(0.05% + 1) 200V 0.01V ±(0.05% + 10) 200V 0.01V ±(0.05% + 2)
1000V 1V ±(0.05% + 1) 1000V 0.1V ±(0.05% + 10) 1000V 0.1V ±(0.05% + 2)

And for audio use 8060A has spec until 100kHz measurment, 87V is specced for 20kHz.

I'd say that if you want to go Fluke way on a budget today and don't mind used tools go for the 27/FM as an autoranging and general day to day use and the 8060A for the infrequent precision measurements. If your budget permits go for a brand new 87V or even more expensive ones that have data logging etc.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:47:29 am by Marvin »

Offline vinlove

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #135 on: February 19, 2014, 11:04:38 am »
Thank you Marvin.  Great info.

I think the 27/FM is kinda rare, hard to find,  I imagine it would be more expensive too.
Fluke 25 seems easier to find for sale, and going for good price.

Is the 25 good DMM to use?

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #136 on: February 19, 2014, 01:13:26 pm »
Thank you Marvin.  Great info.

I think the 27/FM is kinda rare, hard to find,  I imagine it would be more expensive too.
Fluke 25 seems easier to find for sale, and going for good price.

Is the 25 good DMM to use?

Depending on where you are, the 27/FM is actually very easy to find. Look up realpcola on Ebay (http://www.ebay.ca/sch/realpcola/m.html), they usually have a 27 up (and do a GREAT job of cleaning it up, checking it out, etc) and for usually not too much. I paid about 80$ shipped for each of the units I have.

Note I am in Canada, so the shipping even here is not bad, and to the US it is probably a better deal. Outside of that, you may need to look for a more local dealer.

Disclaimer: I am a VERY satisfied customer of the above Ebay seller and will gladly highly recommend. They also sell 87V and other flukes, just keep an eye out for them.

Offline vinlove

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #137 on: February 19, 2014, 03:17:12 pm »
I see one in US eBay, and it is listed for $350 Buy It Now.   But it is NEW.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fluke-27-Multimeter-/251075396746?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item3a7542848a
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 03:36:05 pm by vinlove »

Offline vinlove

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2014, 03:54:18 pm »
How is the Fluke 25? Is it a good DMM for using in general hobby projects and repair of amps and tuners - vintage hifi stuff?

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #140 on: February 19, 2014, 04:50:51 pm »

The 27/FM is very common in the US... zillions of them were sold to the military (AN/PSM-45A, ME-528A), and it seems like they are all on the surplus market now.

Offline Robomeds

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #141 on: February 21, 2014, 03:35:12 am »
How is the Fluke 25? Is it a good DMM for using in general hobby projects and repair of amps and tuners - vintage hifi stuff?
The 25 is a good meter in general.  Check out Dave's 27 review.  The difference between the 27 and 25 is the relative and min-max buttons which the 25 lacks.  The 25 otherwise is the same meter and inside the case IS the same meter.  Same guts but two buttons are removed for marketing reasons. 

There are actually 5 meters in the family you might consider
The Fluke 8025A, 8025B, 25, 27, 27FM.  There are also different color versions.  Someone from this forum has a great guide posted on ebay covering these things.  Anyway, the meter Dave tested had a very high contrast display.  The older meters do not.  They are so-so at best. 

The 8025A and 25 are the same meter.  The 8025B and 27 are the same meter.  The 27FM has TRMS AC readings.  All have very good accuracy (0.1%).  All have a somewhat slow continuity check.  All are the size of a brick!

Offline Robomeds

• Frequent Contributor

Offline vinlove

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #143 on: February 27, 2014, 10:54:21 am »
Ended up getting a FLUKE 25.   WOW what a great metre, very smooth and nice.   Huge and substantially built.
I think this will do for all my needs.

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #144 on: February 27, 2014, 01:06:58 pm »
Ended up getting a FLUKE 25.   WOW what a great metre, very smooth and nice.   Huge and substantially built.

Remember, if one Fluke 25 is good, more are better.  Collect the whole set!  8025a, 8025b, 25 and 27 (both in yellow and green, and don't forget the yellow with black decal) as well as the 27/FM!   For extra credit, mix and match to create color combinations Fluke never sold! You can make a yellow 8025a or a  yellow with black decal 27/FM!   Sanity is overrated.  Really.

(My apologies)

Offline vinlove

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #145 on: February 27, 2014, 05:32:39 pm »
Sure, if the price is right why not.  Another cool thing with this FLUKE 25 was the price.   9.99  Bargain of the year.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 06:55:33 pm by vinlove »

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #146 on: February 27, 2014, 06:01:21 pm »
Sure, if the price is right why not.  Another cool thing with this FLUKE 25 was the price.  It was £9 
Bargain of the year.

Seriously, they are, in my opinion, the best value in hand held multimeters, provided you are in the US or other area where they are inexpensive, and don't need capacitance, frequency, datalogging, etc.  (These are a bit more expensive in some countries, and not having a needed feature is false economy.)

I use these as 'knock around" meters for working on the car,  washing machine, etc.  I have one at work that I use when I'm crawling on top of a machine and don't want to see if an 87 can stand a 2 meter drop onto hard concrete.   I did drop my 25 onto a bulldozer track from about 1 meter - no problem.  The operator thought I'd just broken my meter.

Offline Robomeds

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #147 on: February 27, 2014, 06:14:12 pm »
Did you go for the one on ebay?

Offline vinlove

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #148 on: February 27, 2014, 06:45:20 pm »
Sure, if the price is right why not.  Another cool thing with this FLUKE 25 was the price.  It was £9 
Bargain of the year.

Seriously, they are, in my opinion, the best value in hand held multimeters, provided you are in the US or other area where they are inexpensive, and don't need capacitance, frequency, datalogging, etc.  (These are a bit more expensive in some countries, and not having a needed feature is false economy.)

I use these as 'knock around" meters for working on the car,  washing machine, etc.  I have one at work that I use when I'm crawling on top of a machine and don't want to see if an 87 can stand a 2 meter drop onto hard concrete.   I did drop my 25 onto a bulldozer track from about 1 meter - no problem.  The operator thought I'd just broken my meter.

9 out of 10, what I do are continuity checks and DC Volts, so other fancy stuff is not really required. Having said that, I have ordered a new Mastech 8229 from Amazon.  I fancied a spare metre which sometimes can do temperature, freq, lux, capacitance on top of the basic functions,  plus doing proof readings against the 25. 

Yup, I fell in love with  this 25 already - feels solid tough quality device.

Offline vinlove

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #149 on: February 27, 2014, 06:47:54 pm »
Did you go for the one on ebay?

Yes. With shipping, I think it came to 17 total.  Glad I got it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 06:55:12 pm by vinlove »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf