Author Topic: Ordering a new CEP Italia 40amp Linear PSU for Ham, which Meter options?  (Read 2936 times)

Offline TheBayTopic starter

• Supporter
All,

I have given up on the recently purchased PSU's for my ham equipment and getting another PSU (I have tried 4 so far)
I am ordering this from Italy, http://www.cepitalia.it/prodotti/16/14h40a2(40amp-)

The manufacturer give you an option of what meters you would like.

The options are, Analogue or LED Digits, either both or just one of them.

I'm definitely going for a LED Digital Volt Meter,

Not sure whether to go Analogue or Digital for the Ammeter?, I think I will look at the voltage more than the amperage.

Pro's, on SSB the Analogue will be quick to react, Digital will be easy to read at a glance and will match the Voltmeter.

Also does anyone have any experience with CEP, especially any Italians on here Ciao :)

Dale
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 07:24:44 am by TheBay »

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
Have you considered a used server PSU ??
A server PSU capable of delivering 12v/30..45 Amp  is around 20..35£ here in DK

Or are those one of the 4 you havde already tried ?

But it's not linear.

/Bingo

• Supporter
Have you considered a used server PSU ??
A server PSU capable of delivering 12v/30..45 Amp  is around 20..35£ here in DK

Or are those one of the 4 you havde already tried ?

But it's not linear.

/Bingo

Hi Bingo600,

I really do not want to use a Switcher, I have tried one of the most expensive SMPS's designed for Ham radio and they create too much noise on HF for me.

:)

Offline jeroen79

• Frequent Contributor
I have given up on the recently purchased PSU's for my ham equipment and getting another PSU (I have tried 4 so far)
What problems did you have with the last 4 that would be solved by this new powersupply?
Really?
On their webpage I only see analog meters.
It does mention 'Strumenti illuminati' but I believe that only means that they are lighted.
Why?
Not sure whether to go Analogue or Digital for the Ammeter?, I think I will look at the voltage more than the amperage.
Would you?
I'm not a radio amateur but assuming that you will use it in constant voltage mode the ammeter would indicate how hard your equipment is working while the voltmeter would only drop when your equipment draws too much current.
Pro's, on SSB the Analogue will be quick to react, Digital will be easy to read at a glance and will match the Voltmeter.
The advantage of a digital meter is that you can easily read a very precise number.
But the brains is slower at reading than looking where a needle is.
And if your measurement is fluctuating an analog meter is also better. You just have to watch how the needle moves while with a digital meter you would have to read it several times and then use aritmetic to find how they relate to eachother.
Also, a very rapidly changing digit may become unreadable.
The digital meter also has a slow refreshrate compared to an analog meter.
So if you just want to glance at the meters an analog meter may be better.

How often do you intent to adjust the voltage and how precise do yo want to do that?
You could consider doing that with a multimeter and using an analog meter for the voltage as well.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 12:26:01 pm by jeroen79 »

• Supporter
What problems did you have with the last 4 that would be solved by this new powersupply?
Really?
On their webpage I only see analog meters.
It does mention 'Strumenti illuminati' but I believe that only means that they are lighted.
Why?
Would you?
I'm not a radio amateur but assuming that you will use it in constant voltage mode the ammeter would indicate how hard your equipment is working while the voltmeter would only drop when your equipment draws too much current.
The advantage of a digital meter is that you can easily read a very precise number.
But the brains is slower at reading than looking where a needle is.
And if your measurement is fluctuating an analog meter is also better. You just have to watch how the needle moves while with a digital meter you would have to read it several times and then use aritmetic to find how they relate to eachother.
Also, a very rapidly changing digit may become unreadable.
The digital meter also has a slow refreshrate compared to an analog meter.
So if you just want to glance at the meters an analog meter may be better.

How often do you intent to adjust the voltage and how precise do yo want to do that?
You could consider doing that with a multimeter and using an analog meter for the voltage as well.

First issues were,
PSU 1, Diamond GSV3000, one arrived broken (Smashed to pieces), another arrived with the output putting out 17v+ and would not drop lower, got a working one and found that the negative terminal was connected to mains earth (Should be floating) was also full of Capxon capacitors and has Nothing in the way of OVP.
PSU 2, Microset HSB-135 SMPS, serious noise on HF bands, unusable.
PSU 3, Microset PT-135 linear, ordered a new one from a supplier, a 12 year old one arrived! was told to try it out and keep it for a few weeks, but this kept tripping out when it warmed up, tried it with a dummy load and the same thing happened. Also Microset won't help you with schematics and they are on holiday for a few weeks so can't get a replacement, so that went back.
PSU 4, Watson W30-AM Linear, no OVP whatsoever, it's very old and is a spare PSU I use for testing high current devices, not really something I want to use on £1000's worth of equipment, also has a very noisy transformer and fan.

CEP offer both types of meter when you order.

Digital volt meter is much easier to check at a glance, it's something to keep an eye on, any overvoltage and you will break something.
My TTI TSX3510 is fully digital, it's an amazing power supply, but was not cheap at all!

Yes Ham radio PSU's are always in CV mode, the ammeter is useful to check if the PSU can cope with the load thats on there, if there is a fault, I.E. transmitter finals not working as they should.

I don't want to keep plugging my meter in to check the power, I want a nice easy to read Digital voltmeter to check it's set at 13.8v and adjust when needed, don't need voltage to have a quick update time at all.

• Supporter
Gone for a Dual 3 1/2 digital display version.

Will pop the lid off and get some pics up on here when it arrives  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf