Author Topic: Oscilloquartz STAR 4 GPSDO - RS232 output (lack of)?  (Read 3592 times)

Offline jpbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Oscilloquartz STAR 4 GPSDO - RS232 output (lack of)?
« on: May 11, 2018, 07:41:34 pm »
Following advice on this forum I bought one of the Oscilloquartz Star4 based GPSDOs fro amoj1010:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10Mhz-GPSDO-OSCILLOQUARTZ-OSA-OEM-GPS-GPSDO-10MHz-1PPS-STAR-GPS-Clock/262861459973?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

It seems to work well even with the provided antenna, I have tested it against a recently acquired standard based on the 198kHz radio signal.

But I can't get anything out of the RS232 output. I have tried two usb to rs232 converters, most recently a very expensive industrial one.

Looking on my scope pin 8 shows the 1pps nicely, pin 2 (Tx) sits at -5.8V and pin 3 (Rx) sits at 0V (approximately).

Is there something I need to do to wake it up? I've tried connecting with Lady Heather, with Putty with a GPS display program and with PowerShell and get no response out of any of them.

Is it broken or am I doing something silly - I suspect the latter.

With other RS232 things I've found that you can send a *IDN? and get something out.

I've assumed the normal default baud rate of 9600.

Help :-//

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
Re: Oscilloquartz STAR 4 GPSDO - RS232 output (lack of)?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 03:42:55 am »
These things have their own command language.   They do not output anything unless commanded.  What version of Lady Heather are you using?  Did you specify the /rx4 command line option?

The following users thanked this post: jpb

Offline jpbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 10:55:22 am »
These things have their own command language.   They do not output anything unless commanded.  What version of Lady Heather are you using?  Did you specify the /rx4 command line option?
Thank you for replying.
I'm using version 5.0 (I've just downloaded it so assumed it was the most recent.) I've not tried /rx4 - I will give it a go.

Thank you very much - /rx4 did the trick (/5 to set COM5 and then /rx4). I thought it must be something simple I wasn't doing but my scan of the options didn't yield anything.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 11:07:20 am by jpb »

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1

The following users thanked this post: jpb

Offline jpbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 11:09:01 am »
Get v6 here -> https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/lady-heather-v6-beta-for-windows-exe/
Thankyou - I'll do that, though v5 is now working since I entered the correct /rx4 command. It is good to see the Tx and Rx lights flashing on and off on my RS232 after two evenings of nothing!

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 11:12:19 am »
Thankyou - I'll do that, though v5 is now working since I entered the correct /rx4 command. It is good to see the Tx and Rx lights flashing on and off on my RS232 after two evenings of nothing!

Congratz,  and it will be much more exciting, once the "locked" sign pops up.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 11:14:21 am by BravoV »

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 01:53:40 pm »
I have the same device.  Works great.  I did the management modification and tapped the 10mhz square wave.

Offline Mrt12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 12:25:02 pm »
I have the same device.  Works great.  I did the management modification and tapped the 10mhz square wave.

what kind of management modification is this?

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 07:13:19 pm »

what kind of management modification is this?

The original packaged up version of this GPSDO brought the GPS receiver data out the RS-232 port.  Later version brought out the "management" interface that lets you monitor more stuff and configure some settings.  The modification swaps the RS-232 port from the GPS data to the management interface.   Lady Heather works with the management interface.

Offline Ohm_My

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 07:59:29 am »
Is their any way to get the RS232 enabled on the LEA-5T chip? So much more could be done with this GPSDO if the ublox u-center application could see it.

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 05:41:07 pm »
Is their any way to get the RS232 enabled on the LEA-5T chip? So much more could be done with this GPSDO if the ublox u-center application could see it.

I seriously doubt that...  like what could u-center bring to the party?   

Offline Ohm_My

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 01:54:36 am »

I seriously doubt that...  like what could u-center bring to the party?   

Well for starters I could put the module in a fixed timing mode with a precise known location. I'm seeing a difference of location in the 24 hour survey that is run on unit startup versus several PPP observations that I have done that result in  <.013 meter accuracy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf