Author Topic: Oscilloscope Confusion  (Read 3339 times)

Offline FlyMarioTopic starter

• Contributor
Oscilloscope Confusion
« on: August 23, 2018, 02:29:33 pm »
Hi,  I have a Siglent SDS1052DL+ scope and really like it.  But something about it puzzles me.

I always expect that my probe line marker to be 0 volts.  However, that is not the case.   Perhaps I am just being a noob with my scope.  I normally have used scopes for digital signals really and I am working on an analog project.

I have been working on a Mechanical TV for a while now and have made a circuit to deal with the NBTV signal.  I know where 0 volts should be... right before the negative voltage sync pulse.

I have a picture I attached.  Where I have the arrow should be around 0 volts.  But you will notice it is nowhere near my 1 marker.  I do nothing special with my scope.  All I really care about is placing my signal where I want and set the frequency.

Do any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Pete

Offline luismh

Re: Oscilloscope Confusion
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 02:38:57 pm »
Hi Pete,

Try switching to "AC" coupling.

Regards. Luis

The following users thanked this post: FlyMario

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 02:40:56 pm »
Perhaps the channel is on DC coupling and there is a DC bias?

(edit) Luis beat me to it! :)
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: FlyMario

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 02:48:11 pm »
oh.  Wow. I didn't even know my scope had that kind of a switch.  I figured it automatically selected ac/dc.  I remember old scopes having that.

I will have to check that out.

THanks!

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 02:54:44 pm »
Well well... it is on my menu. Coupling. It is set to DC. LOL  |O

Thanks folks!

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 06:13:33 pm »
DC/AC coupling is always shown at the bottom left.  CH1=500mV  or  CH1~500mV.

I always expect that my probe line marker to be 0 volts.  However, that is not the case.

If shouldn't be off by 350mV  :o  Have you done the Self-Cal in Utilities.

The rest of the thread - switching to AC coupling because you don't like where the 0V indicator is on a video signal makes no sense.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 06:15:15 pm by StillTrying »
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 06:26:44 pm »
Well, the signal is AC.  Anything below 0v is a sync pulse for NBTV  anything above 0v is video.  My only issue was that 0 volts were not sitting on the probe marker.

Sorry if I am confusing.  I am not as skilled with electronics as many of you folks are I am sure.

Pete

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 07:46:35 pm »
Another little trap for the scope novice is Invert.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online xavier60

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 12:59:36 am »
 My current DSO is a 20 year old HP 54645A. It has a menu setting that allows a choice of Left, Center or Right for the Trigger zero reference position. Most of the time it is set to the Left because I'm only interested in seeing waveform after the trigger event.
The Trigger zero reference position stays put regardless of change in Time base setting.
Does the SDS1052DL have the same capability?
 I have not been able to find a definite answer in the operator's manual.
HP 54645A dso, Fluke 87V dmm,  Agilent U8002A psu,  FY6600 function gen,  Brymen BM857S, HAKKO FM-204, New! HAKKO FX-971.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 01:11:59 am »
My current DSO is a 20 year old HP 54645A. It has a menu setting that allows a choice of Left, Center or Right for the Trigger zero reference position. Most of the time it is set to the Left because I'm only interested in seeing waveform after the trigger event.
The Trigger zero reference position stays put regardless of change in Time base setting.
Does the SDS1052DL have the same capability?
 I have not been able to find a definite answer in the operator's manual.
No it doesn't. Trigger can be set to any horizontal position on the display but only with the Hor Pos control.
So if it's not set to 0.00s timebase adjustments can shift it off screen, however with just a press of that control it's bought back to 0.00s again.

Later X-E models have the ability to set trigger positions where you want them and they stay there.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: xavier60

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 06:17:39 am »
Well, the signal is AC.  Anything below 0v is a sync pulse for NBTV  anything above 0v is video.  My only issue was that 0 volts were not sitting on the probe marker.

Sorry if I am confusing.  I am not as skilled with electronics as many of you folks are I am sure.

Pete
Possibly your video source does not present blanking or black level as zero volts.
(NTSC has "black" as zero volts, PAL has blanking level, hence the use of "or" above)

In Broadcast analog TV, loss of the DC reference level was a common problem.(AC coupling in amplifiers, etc, tries to balance the signal around zero volts.)
To get around this, "DC restoration" of various types was used, principally, the "Keyed Clamp".

This took the line sync pulse, used it to create a narrower delayed pulse which was centred on the "back porch"(the bit of black or blanking level just after the sync pulse).*
 This pulse would "turn on" a clamp circuit which would conduct, pulling the level desired to be clamped to zero volts.

*Usually-----sometimes sync tip level was clamped to zero or even other voltages for special cases.

Classic circuits were combination of resistors capacitors & diodes but later designs used FETs or even analog switch ICs.
The capacitor was vital in all such circuits, as it would maintain the clamped voltage level, until the next clamp pulse came along around 64 microseconds later.

Such circuits were ubiquitous in analog TV.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf