Author Topic: Oscilloscope for power measurements  (Read 1375 times)

Offline drtubeTopic starter

• Contributor
Oscilloscope for power measurements
« on: April 18, 2018, 10:53:30 pm »
Hello everyone!!

I am looking for an oscilloscope capable of multiplying two signals and showing the result as an extra signal/trace. The main purpose is power measurements of DC motors, non-linear loads, etc

The main idea is to set the third trace as:

3rd signal: Ch1xCh2 (to see power waveform)

and

3rd signal: Avg(Ch1xCh2) (to see average power of the load)

Typically, the voltage is a square wave between 65 and 200 volts peak and the frequency is between 50 to 500 Hz. The current is between 1 and 5 amps of different types of waves, same frequency.

I have the Tektronix P6042 current probe (still working good!!!) so if the oscilloscope has a 50 ohm input, better. I'm quite low on budget, what would you recommend? I saw rigol MSO series but they start at $ 2000 min.

Thanks in advance

DrTube
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 10:57:59 pm by drtube »

Offline llkiwi2006

• Regular Contributor
Re: Oscilloscope for power measurements
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 11:11:55 pm »
Use a 50 ohm through terminator, and any scope you want. Pretty much any scope is capable of doing multiplication. Use the forum search feature to find all the past discussions on scope recommendations. If you only want to spend $350-$500, the rigol ds1054z is a pretty popular choice, and the new sds1104x-e is also worth considering.

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Offline drtubeTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 02:55:51 am »
Thanks for the answer! I think I'll go with DS1054Z, it can perform 2 layers of calculation (i.e. Intg(CH1XCH2)), while Siglent cannot.

Do you know if some of these entry level scopes feature more deep calculations? I mean arbitrary math expressions, mixing channels, math functions, constants, etc

Regards,

DrTube

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 03:04:43 am by drtube »

Online Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 03:07:43 am »
Do you know if some of these entry level scopes feature more deep calculations? I mean arbitrary math expressions, mixing channels, math functions, constants, etc

If you're looking for high-end features like (really) advanced math and full use of a HD screen with multiple view ports on a budget scope, there aren't many choices left:

https://www.picotech.com/oscilloscope/2000/picoscope-2000-overview

BTW, street prices are usually lower than what is shown on this web site.

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 06:14:14 am »
^ true, although you will need special care as max Vin is +/-50V.

For a 10x probe this means up to 500V peak, but you risk damaging the instrument and whatever is connected to it in a moment of distraction.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf