Author Topic: Oscilloscope maximum input voltage when scope is off ?  (Read 2190 times)

Offline JesterTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Oscilloscope maximum input voltage when scope is off ?
« on: October 14, 2017, 08:17:50 pm »
I'm sure I'm not the only one that turns off my scope with probes still attached to a live circuit now and then.

I would imagine this can't be good for the input circuit, however I would think with low enough voltages and x10 probes it should be okay.

Does anyone have any comments as to when damage will/might occur?

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
Re: Oscilloscope maximum input voltage when scope is off ?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 09:37:20 pm »
Model # and manufacturer?

Measure the input resistance when off. What is it? Maybe a relay disconnects the input.
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 09:45:48 pm »
I certainly wouldn't recommend exceeding the maximum for when the scope is on. Other than that, I'll have to dig a little. Interesting question!

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 10:32:10 pm »
Every oscilloscope front-end I've come across switches to the highest possible input voltage range. So if you stay within the maximum voltage for the oscilloscope input you'll be fine even when it is off.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline JesterTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 11:07:18 pm »

Measure the input resistance when off. What is it? Maybe a relay disconnects the input.
Tek   DPO 2024

50 M\$\Omega\$ @ BNC when off, I guess that's pretty safe.
1M\$\Omega\$ @ BNC when on
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 11:10:41 pm by Jester »

Offline dl1640

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 01:15:06 am »
my Yokogawa DL1640 measures a open-circuit when off

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 01:49:50 am »

Tek   DPO 2024

50 M\$\Omega\$ @ BNC when off, I guess that's pretty safe.
1M\$\Omega\$ @ BNC when on

I believe the MSO/DPO2000 Series is entirely relay free (I’ve never heard one and don’t recall seeing any on the teardown pictures I’ve seen), so the front end isn’t entirely disconnected on shutdown. So, at 50 MOhm and, with a 10x probe, you should be good to the maximum input ratings of the scope, off or on.

That said, you should get in the habit of disconnecting the probes from the circuit under test when you’re done for the day. Leaving things connected overnight can cause accidents and frustration the next day (accidentally cross connecting the grounds of two loads that need to be isolated, having the probe slip off and spending 30 minutes chasing it down as a scope issue, etc.)

I’ve learned it’s almost always better to start fresh each day. (This rule only applies to actual scope and multimeter probes; obviously something like a logic pod with minigrabbers hooked to the tiny pins of a SMD IC would stay attached overnight, though I would do a wiggle check and make sure they’re all still connected the next day.)
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

The following users thanked this post: dl1640

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 03:51:11 am »
For typical well designed oscilloscopes, it should not matter.  The high impedance buffer is protected by passive series and shunt networks.  The series network is something like a half megohm resistor so 400 volts produces 0.80 milliamps through the shunt input protection diodes and that is just not going to do anything.  The series resistor has a bypass capacitor of hundreds of picofarads to preserve high frequency performance so the same voltage derating with frequency applies.  Digital voltmeters have a similar protection scheme.

If the 50 ohm termination occurs before a high impedance buffer, then the same analysis applies.  A dedicated 50 ohm input which would be found on a high bandwidth oscilloscope could be a different matter; without bias, the base-emitter junction of the input transistor could be driven into reverse breakdown damaging it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf