Author Topic: Oscilloscope probe organizer  (Read 7238 times)

Offline frozenfrogzTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
Oscilloscope probe organizer
« on: February 23, 2017, 11:14:19 am »
Dear forum,

I made a cable organizer for my newly acquired Rigol scope and thought this might come in handy for some of you as well.
The printable file has been upped to my YouMagine account.

It holds four RP2200 probes and some instrument cables up to 5mm in diameter. From looking at a lot of pictures on the web I assume, that different brand probes should also fit, as most seem to have a somewhat similar footprint. The overall design is a bit clumsy and I might streamline it in the future to make it a little more lab-stylish :)

Suggestions and requests are very welcome!

Still need to figure out the perfect spot to mount it, so pictures of that will follow. I attached a screenshot from the model within Cura for now.

Regards,
Frederik

Edit: @mods
I was not 100% shure where to put this topic. 'Test Equipment' seemed more fitting as the 'Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff' section to me, but if I am wrong - please move :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:21:30 am by frozenfrogz »
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

The following users thanked this post: kado

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Re: Oscilloscope probe organizer
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 03:47:10 pm »
DSO probes are delicate, they should be treated gently and not left hanging on a lead organizer like a multimeter lead or DC power cable.  Care is more critical the higher the rated frequency.  Its best to coil them and lay flat in a box or pouch with its accessories.  A passive probe is a compensated passive transmission line, and any subtle change to their physical structure could result in distortion at your working frequency.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 05:06:43 pm »
DSO probes are delicate, they should be treated gently and not left hanging on a lead organizer like a multimeter lead or DC power cable.  Care is more critical the higher the rated frequency.  Its best to coil them and lay flat in a box or pouch with its accessories.  A passive probe is a compensated passive transmission line, and any subtle change to their physical structure could result in distortion at your working frequency.

Yes, but...

I haven't seen any problem with having dangling them supported by the scope connector, nor (with long probes) dangling then supported by both ends. I wouldn't dangle a probe from its midpoint, because the weight and bend radius will damage the probe.

OTOH, I've seen probes damaged by improper coiling and/or being stuffed into a pouch.

Obviously if you have a "professional grade" probe, you will follow the instructions for that probe.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 05:06:43 pm »
Totally agree the probes should be treated with care, but storing them properly was too time consuming for me.

Since DS1054Z probes are not very expensive (about $25 each), now I am keeping them hanging over the exterior of a big round ice cream cake plastic box. The ice cream box has about 20cm/8'' in diameter, and it is nailed vertically on the wall. On the outside of the box are hanging the probes, and inside the box are the probes accessories, some 50 ohm adapters, and so on.

Offline elecman14

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 06:41:35 pm »

Yes, but...

I haven't seen any problem with having dangling them supported by the scope connector, nor (with long probes) dangling then supported by both ends. I wouldn't dangle a probe from its midpoint, because the weight and bend radius will damage the probe.

OTOH, I've seen probes damaged by improper coiling and/or being stuffed into a pouch.

Obviously if you have a "professional grade" probe, you will follow the instructions for that probe.

The university I went to had scope probe leads hanging in a similar holder like a Pomona 2708. The same leads were used the entire time I was their and they appeared to have been stored that way for a long time. If being stored that way in a college lab with multiple daily users does not damage them the storage method is probably safe. 

Offline tecman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 07:14:03 pm »
I use a piece of plastic wireway, without cover and the top fingers cut off

Paul

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 07:31:58 pm »
Dudes!

I would not know that I was starting a war here xD
The actual idea behind designing a designated device for storing the probes if not in use was exactly because I did not want to have them being pushed around in my workshop!
There is minimal tension on the cables as both, the BNC connector and the probe end are held by the organizer.

But if there is a much better way to get it done: Please let me know :)

Regards,
Frederik

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 11:15:11 pm »

Yes, but...

The university I went to had scope probe leads hanging in a similar holder like a Pomona 2708. The same leads were used the entire time I was their and they appeared to have been stored that way for a long time. If being stored that way in a college lab with multiple daily users does not damage them the storage method is probably safe.
I've worked in many organisations and most stored their passive probes hanging from the BNC end and had been doing it for decades. It works well if you have the horizontal space for it (the wall space behind doors has always been popular).

Offline Richard Head

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 04:19:45 pm »
I think that probe holder is great. My only complaint is that there should be more slots for more probes.
I reckon I'd by one of those things if the price was right.

The following users thanked this post: frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 04:27:39 pm »
In terms of scaling it up to hold more cables, this is a pretty easy thing to do. I made the initial width 180mm so it would be printable on more or less any FDM printer on the market. The maximum size printable on an Ultimaker Original, or UM2 would be something like 220mm if placed diagonally on the printbed.
If you like, I can add another wider version to the folder.
Printing costs are near to nothing if you have access to a printer yourself.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 04:49:00 pm »
This is interesting just as an example of how technology changes how we do things.  This organizer is functionally no different than organizers that have been on the market for 50 or more years.  Really cheap to manufacture in large quantities.  Just stamp them out of steel or aluminum, bend and paint.  Also possible to do at home with a saw, file and vise.  Dirt cheap and fast.  An hour or so, but it does take tools and skill.   Now the 3D printer is here.  Allows home fabrication with no manual skills.  If you have access to a 3D printer. 

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 08:53:41 am »
Here is a somewhat wider version where I squeezed in three additional slots for instrument cables.
That is about as wide as you can print on most FDM printers by rotating it 45° on the build platform.
How about an extra part with only slots for cables?

Regarding how 3D printing changes the way we look on fabrication, that is a whole different universe on its own :)

Offline Richard Head

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 12:40:26 pm »
This is what I use at present. It is a re-purposed cable strain relief bracket that was never used.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 12:46:13 pm »
This is what I use at present. It is a re-purposed cable strain relief bracket that was never used.

Neat trick. The only thing it doesn't permit is smaller cables/connectors, e.g SMA
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 12:52:28 pm »
Nice job Frederik, I have a 3D printer, can I get the stl files please?
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 12:54:32 pm »
Pomona has readily made slotted test lead holders. Unfortunately I have room for only one.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 12:56:25 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 12:55:03 pm »
Link to my Youmagine is in the first post!

Shortcut here: cable organizer @Youmagine

Regards,
Frederik

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 01:56:31 pm »
I keep my probes coiled up in a cardboard box.

This looks like a nice design but i would not trust it to hold things like my active 2.5GHz probes. One correctly angled bump could turn expensive quickly when one of them falls on the floor since the probes have a fragile ceramic circuit board inside.

Offline Richard Head

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 02:31:28 pm »
Active probes should be housed in their little plastic carry case ideally. I too wouldn't trust a plastic bracket to hold an active probe. Nor a current probe.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2017, 02:34:45 pm »
Active probes should be housed in their little plastic carry case ideally. I too wouldn't trust a plastic bracket to hold an active probe. Nor a current probe.
I agree. I keep special probes in their boxes but my daily probes are a dime-a-dozen so I don't care too much. If a probe starts to get flaky it goes into the bin.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Richard Head

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2017, 08:07:27 pm »
I've got a pair of 500Mhz Texas probes for my TDS380 and although I've treated them as best I could over the years they are giving problems with intermittent connections on the plug at the probe end. Frustrating because they are damn expensive probes even though their build quality is questionable.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf