Author Topic: OWON Show #2 XDS oscilloscope touch screen guide  (Read 16627 times)

Offline radhaz

• Regular Contributor
Re: OWON Show #2 XDS oscilloscope touch screen guide
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2016, 08:53:10 pm »
In my test a 50 ohm termination showed no difference. Setting 1x on the channel seemed to just move the decimal place. At maximum vertical sensitivity I can only zoom out.

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2016, 03:25:40 am »
I'll never ever purchase one of these , look at that freq display 65.79MHZ , .79 What? MHz , .79000 .79050 .79500 .79853 , any of these devices with a inbuilt freq counter that shows only part of it is utterly a wast of time having one in it , and as far as spending 1 to 2k or more for such inferior device's is a joke .

Tiny oxco's and txco's are out there and adjustable with a control voltage .

Thanks for the pics radhaz .
Soon

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2016, 05:51:06 am »
I'll never ever purchase one of these , look at that freq display 65.79MHZ , .79 What? MHz , .79000 .79050 .79500 .79853 , any of these devices with a inbuilt freq counter that shows only part of it is utterly a wast of time having one in it , and as far as spending 1 to 2k or more for such inferior device's is a joke .

Tiny oxco's and txco's are out there and adjustable with a control voltage .

Thanks for the pics radhaz .

A strong opinion and detached from reality. My condolences.

Here is not opinion. Just raw data.
For some reason, I respect data more than sentimental opinions with no basis in reality.

Signal 10MHz and 1MHz are coming from sources what are locked to house standard better than 0.1ppb

Images from running scope "on the fly".

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 05:53:38 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline pxl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2016, 06:52:46 am »
Guys, some questions:
- does it have a fan? (If so, how much loud, comparing to other scopes if you have any).
- FFT points, speed?
- any intensity gradation?( I've seen monochromatic 1 bit waveforms so far).
- noise at 1 mV/div?

And the new UI font looks good :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 07:11:17 am by pxl »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2016, 07:15:03 am »

:-DD
Best ever quote from rf-loop ^^^

You cannot help some that do not have an open mind or are so blind they cannot/will not see.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2016, 08:42:32 am »
In my test a 50 ohm termination showed no difference. Setting 1x on the channel seemed to just move the decimal place. At maximum vertical sensitivity I can only zoom out.
OK, thanks for tthe extra info! It is true only the decimal place shifts (so the result is 360uVpp) but some people have a hard time interpreting an oscilloscope screen so it is better to spell it out for them.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Deuze

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2016, 09:10:16 am »
Looks very interesting tech. But got a question, is also works on Apple devices?
Always on a trip....

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2016, 09:21:43 am »
Here some random... "as is" images.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 09:24:05 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2016, 10:11:21 am »

You cannot help some that do not have an open mind or are so blind they cannot/will not see.

Ha Ha HA , take another look at that picture i was on about in Reply #22 , it shows it was not turned on as i now know ! unless one owns one of these and its sitting there in front of you or one has not watched the video or a video apart from the first one and then one see's that picture ? well that's what i did , so as since i do not have one of these or would if that matters if it ain't displayed it ain't there ..

But no , you and rfloop have to do the semi-quasi personal attacks (in which i do not mind as it can be very enlightening btw) about such a simple thing that could have been explained more simply by just being factual , that Owon SDS thread sure did rattle some ..A factual thread .

Not that i need any help of your type regarding sales of Owon
Soon

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2016, 10:32:16 am »

Ha Ha HA , take another look at that picture i was on about in Reply #22 , it shows it was not turned on as i now know ! unless one owns one of these and its sitting there in front of you or one has not watched the video or a video apart from the first one and then one see's that picture ? well that's what i did , so as since i do not have one of these or would if that matters if it ain't displayed it ain't there ..
IMHO you are making a fool of yourself. The readout is showing the period and frequency between the cursors. Since the cursors have a finite resolution the 2 decimal frequency display is already showing more significant digits than the measurement method can provide.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2016, 10:36:16 am »

IMHO you are making a fool of yourself. The readout is showing the period and frequency between the cursors. Since the cursors have a finite resolution the 2 decimal frequency display is already showing more significant digits than the measurement method can provide.

Fair Dinkum .
Soon

Offline pxl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2016, 12:26:12 pm »
Hello again eevbloggers!

Thanks for your warm welcome last time when we post our first thread. We collect some of your good advise, such as font issue, button position issue.  Thesed feedbacks help us a lot in later software and hardware develope, thank you!  :-+

Hi, did you planned to implement the intensity gradation? Being monochromatic waveforms ruins the main selling point, the 12 bit ADC, because 12 bit is important so that we can check the small details in the waveforms. However, if all of the waveforms captured in a display refresh time are stacked without any shading, then all we can see is a thick, even waveform without being able to see the statistical difference, and hiding all the details in that thick waveform.

It is ok, when stopped and you can see only one waveform, but checking the live stream is not that ok. Please work on that, if possible.

Offline OWONTopic starter

• Contributor
  • !
  • Meet your best need
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2016, 03:42:59 am »
Hello again eevbloggers!

Thanks for your warm welcome last time when we post our first thread. We collect some of your good advise, such as font issue, button position issue.  Thesed feedbacks help us a lot in later software and hardware develope, thank you!  :-+

Hi, did you planned to implement the intensity gradation? Being monochromatic waveforms ruins the main selling point, the 12 bit ADC, because 12 bit is important so that we can check the small details in the waveforms. However, if all of the waveforms captured in a display refresh time are stacked without any shading, then all we can see is a thick, even waveform without being able to see the statistical difference, and hiding all the details in that thick waveform.

It is ok, when stopped and you can see only one waveform, but checking the live stream is not that ok. Please work on that, if possible.

Hi

It is in the plan now. Sure as you said, intensity gradation makes it more convenient for users to check the waveform. OWON XDS series oscilloscope has employed the multi-level gray scale and color temperature to show the waveform gradation.
Visit us at http://www.owon.com.cn
or contact me through Skype:liuhen2972

Offline radhaz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2016, 03:52:53 am »
This scope is looking like a good effort. I look forward to the next firmware. :-/O

Offline Skimask

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2016, 03:58:40 am »
And I look forward to selling my SDS7102V...
I didn't take it apart.
I turned it on.

The only stupid question is, well, most of them...

Save a fuse...Blow an electrician.

Offline radhaz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2016, 05:56:50 am »
I have a 7102 as well. It will probably be sold soon. >:D

Offline Skimask

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2016, 01:43:28 pm »
...selling my SDS7102V, meaning I won't be buying another OWON o'scope until I know for sure that the knobs work the way they should.
Pick a knob, Ch1 Vertical, Horizontal, Trigger, whatever...  Half the time when I turn them, they go the wrong direction...turning fast or slow, doesn't matter.
I originally picked the OWON for the larger 800x600 screen, more pixels to show data (not just the wave, but levels, etc.).  Doesn't help much if you can't the cursors in the right spot in the first place.
I didn't take it apart.
I turned it on.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2016, 03:35:05 pm »
...selling my SDS7102V, meaning I won't be buying another OWON o'scope until I know for sure that the knobs work the way they should.
Pick a knob, Ch1 Vertical, Horizontal, Trigger, whatever...  Half the time when I turn them, they go the wrong direction...turning fast or slow, doesn't matter.
I originally picked the OWON for the larger 800x600 screen, more pixels to show data (not just the wave, but levels, etc.).  Doesn't help much if you can't the cursors in the right spot in the first place.

If this is case with SDS7102 it is - exactly - failed. Defect!

How far after purchase this fails. If inside 3 years there is warranty. Front panel PCB where is encoders need replace.
If out of warranty you can buy this cheap spare spart PCB from Owon.
Btw, Rigol have also lot of "famous" records also about encoder problems.
I have experience about quite lot of this model and personally I have never get any single unit from customer to warranty repair with this problem.

Offline pxl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2016, 06:54:47 pm »
Hello again eevbloggers!

Hi

It is in the plan now. Sure as you said, intensity gradation makes it more convenient for users to check the waveform. OWON XDS series oscilloscope has employed the multi-level gray scale and color temperature to show the waveform gradation.

Thank you, that sounds good!

Offline pxl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2016, 06:59:09 pm »
Which is the latest downloadable firmware for XDS series? On the owon site I can search only for serial numbers, which obviously I don't have.

Offline pxl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2016, 07:07:15 pm »
Guys, some questions:
- does it have a fan? (If so, how much loud, comparing to other scopes if you have any). Yes, it has, but very quiet. Could you please confirm that?
- FFT points, speed? Still in question.
- any intensity gradation?( I've seen monochromatic 1 bit waveforms so far). No it has not at this point, but it is in plan.
- noise at 1 mV/div? About 340 uV, but it has BW limiter!

Please check my answers commented.

Offline Skimask

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2016, 07:59:19 pm »
If this is case with SDS7102 it is - exactly - failed. Defect!
How far after purchase this fails. If inside 3 years there is warranty. Front panel PCB where is encoders need replace.
If out of warranty you can buy this cheap spare spart PCB from Owon.
Btw, Rigol have also lot of "famous" records also about encoder problems.
I have experience about quite lot of this model and personally I have never get any single unit from customer to warranty repair with this problem.
Mine has been that way since day 1.  I always figured they'd fix it with a firmware update.  No dice so far.
And it is my 2nd one.  First one failed hard within a couple hours, power supply smoked, actually smoked itself.
Rigol vs encoder problems...  I've watched a bunch of youtube videos on the 1000Z series, specifically paid attention to how the various cursors and inputs behave when the encoder knobs are spun.  Yes I've seen the occasional jumping when the knobs are spun fast, but haven't seen a clip in a video yet that has the inputs going the wrong direction with regard to turning an encoder.
I'm up for having somebody change my mind though.
I didn't take it apart.
I turned it on.

Offline OWONTopic starter

• Contributor
  • !
  • Meet your best need
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2016, 01:02:10 am »
Which is the latest downloadable firmware for XDS series? On the owon site I can search only for serial numbers, which obviously I don't have.

Yes, you need the serial number which is on the rear side of device to ensure update. If you have a XDS oscilloscope, why not check it and enter it in our website? Or if it is troublesome for you to operate in our website, you could contact our staff Mr.Tomas Tang at info@owon.com.cn to talk about updating issue.
Visit us at http://www.owon.com.cn
or contact me through Skype:liuhen2972

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2016, 02:56:12 pm »

Yes, you need the serial number which is on the rear side of device to ensure update. If you have a XDS oscilloscope, why not check it and enter it in our website? Or if it is troublesome for you to operate in our website, you could contact our staff Mr.Tomas Tang at info@owon.com.cn to talk about updating issue.

with XDS3102A what ever serial number I write, also if I type my current serial. Nothing available and still my screen info show version V.1.0.0.0

Only message: "The firmware onto your OWON device is in latest version, no need to upgrade, thanks."

Is it really current latest version????
If I ask from sales persons, they do not know anything but "if you have some problem our engineers can solve it"

Offline pxl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2016, 03:31:23 pm »

I have not yet, but it is essential for me to know which firmware updates was arrived, and what was the changelog.

https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/firmware/hmo1002

See?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf