Author Topic: Owon XSA1015 Spectrum Analyzer  (Read 8672 times)

Offline DaruoshaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Owon XSA1015 Spectrum Analyzer
« on: July 30, 2017, 03:45:11 pm »
The new "O No" spectrum analyzer:
http://www.owon.com.hk/products_info.asp?ParentID=93&SortID=94&ProID=194#sthash.p910smCw.kfmgqiZA.dpbs

I wonder is this "new product" as rubbish and slow as their other scopes ?

Offline Selectech

• Regular Contributor
Re: Owon XSA1015 Spectrum Analyzer
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 02:25:32 pm »
Took the plunge and got one, XSA1015-TG. Arrived yesterday and initial tests suggest that it will be a good step up from my collection of RF Explorer and sundry odds and ends.

Purchased directly from China, DHL delivery to Canada. Came with a North American power cord. Someone even bothered to set the clock to NA, EST timezone!.

So far, it seems to be quit a capable instrument, easy to use. Display is crisp & large!. Buttons and menu's straightforward.

Far easier to use and faster than the early model Signalhound that I had while at another company a few years back.

I have a variety of things to test with it over the next few weeks. Mainly using it with a set of Tekbox EMC probes and TEM cell for development work.

Offline DaruoshaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 09:03:08 pm »
How much did you pay?

Tell us about actual DANL and sweep speed at the lowest RBW? A few screenshot would be nice as well.

Offline Selectech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 03:05:25 am »
$925 USD + shipping for an XSA1015-TG.

Top unit is my Owon, bottom is A Rigol from another posting.

More later as I work with it.

Offline pavos

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 07:57:55 pm »
Hi Selectech,

could you share your first impressions about XSA1015?

Offline Selectech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 01:03:35 am »
I've been using it for about a week now to hunt down some noise issues in a product I'm working on. Using it with some Tekbox probes and direct connection to some nodes on equipment I"m testing. I also have a Tekbox TEM cell that I will use with it for some testing in a week or so.

Scan time for any given setting may be slower than the Rigol / Siglent, but definitely faster and more convenient to use than RF Explorer or an early version of Signal-Hound that I"ve used in the past. ( I wanted something that was benchtop and not needing a PC to work ).

Display is large, clear and crisp. Buttons and menus fairly intuitive and easy to use.

Overall sensitivity seems to be fairly close to spec sheet, although I haven't had time to do more detail test in that regard.

It has a fan which is audible, but roughly same level as my various 'scopes and power supplies - not objectionable.

Attached screen shot is some saved traces from some recent work looking for noise coupling in from a power supply that was affecting some low level analog conditioning circuitry in front of a 24 bit ADC system.

All in all, so far I'm ok with it.

Offline pavos

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 10:10:32 pm »
Good news.
Thank you for the info.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 10:37:07 pm »
Without taking hackability into account it is pretty cheap. It's direct competitor is hackable to over 3GHz and doesn't cost that much more.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline pavos

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 08:04:06 pm »
if you are talking about Siglent SSA3021X you are right - it is hackable and not much more expensive than XSA1015.. It seems that Siglent uses very stable internal oscillator and PLL but probably a problem with high level of internal spurs exists on SSA30xxX series.  Probably it is not limitation for non professional usage.

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 10:23:03 pm »
What about the internal spurs of the unit? Have you tested without any external signal connected, and with a signal connected?

Signal spurs are generated by the internal stages within the spectrum analyzer unit, and the behavior changes based on whether there is an external signal connected to the unit or not.

Offline pavos

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 08:25:17 pm »
I don't have SSA3021X.
I saw a few reviews of the SSA3021X. One of them is on the following link:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/comparison-rigol-dsa815-tg-with-siglent-ssa3021x-spectrum-analyzer/

It seems that internal spurs are visible "as signal" on the display in case when input is terminated by 50 ohm resistor.  :-\

Offline KlausF

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 09:54:51 pm »
Hi Selectech,

can you pls tell us the sweep time in ms?

After having used it for a while now, would you recommend it ?

Best regards

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2021, 11:29:40 am »
Hello,

i accidentally stumbled on this OWON XSA1015-TG being sold from China at around 600-650 Euro with free shipping (but certainly a lot of trouble with customs and long delivery period).

I wonder how good/bad this device is in comparison with Siglent SSA3021X:

- I did not find any FW upgrade, which is bad
- No documentation about SCPI, but the device does have an ethernet port
- Is it hackable? There are three versions: 1015, 1032, 1036 with and without TG. I guess they all use the same HW platform, but I do have in mind that 1015 versions of Siglent (SSA/SVA) cannot upgraded in terms of bandwidth
- How fast is the sweep/refresh rate
- How good is the overall performance

At 600 Euro, this could be a bargain for hobby use.

I think it is being phase out and hence the low price?

Regards,
Vitor

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2021, 01:45:01 pm »
Just a note: the device looks like a clone of the Siglent SSA3000X series. Yes, there are differences, but overall the form factor, the button layout, etc. is very similar.

i wonder if this is like a low cost OEM derivate of the Siglent?

Offline jrgandara

• Contributor
  • Good soldering!
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2023, 09:37:41 pm »
About this SA I saw this review and looks pretty good compared with Rigol. Thinking and buy one. Anyone has impressions to share?

[]s

JR

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf