Author Topic: picoscope software will not install  (Read 4011 times)

Offline SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
picoscope software will not install
« on: October 16, 2018, 01:13:26 pm »
I just bought a 2204A (100Ms/s - 10MB bandwidth) USB scope. I downloaded the software particular to this product - yes they don't do one version for all. I have installed it but windows seems unaware of the install and the files in the picoscope program folder do not exactly look like a full program (no *.exe). Has anyone else had such a delightful experience with a picoscope ?

Offline wn1fju

• Frequent Contributor
Re: picoscope software will not install
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 02:33:27 pm »
I bought (new) a Picoscope 6402C about five years ago.  If I recall, the initial installation off of Picoscope's CD failed as it was trying to go out to the
web and download some digital signatures - my PC was not connected to the internet at the time.

Picoscope suggested I install from the downloaded version rather than their CD.  But even that, although installing correctly, did not place all of the files
in the proper directories.  So when I tried to use their Software Development Kit, my function calls to the Picoscope failed. 

But, Picoscope was extremely quick and helpful with their responses to my problem (via e-mail) and everything was quickly put in order.

So... send them an e-mail.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 03:30:24 pm »
i downloaded PicoScope 6.13.6 from https://www.picotech.com/downloads (after selecting picoscope 2204A -> Software) and it installed correctly with the *.exe in the folder. it just doesnt like to run in WinXP so i cant test anything about it.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 03:42:12 pm »
I just bought a 2204A (100Ms/s - 10MB bandwidth) USB scope. I downloaded the software particular to this product - yes they don't do one version for all. I have installed it but windows seems unaware of the install and the files in the picoscope program folder do not exactly look like a full program (no *.exe). Has anyone else had such a delightful experience with a picoscope ?

That is weird.  They are using SAME version for every current in production scope as far as I know.. It should be v 6.13.6. And usually installs no problems.
Give them a call. Their support is excellent.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 05:12:14 pm »

That is weird.  They are using SAME version for every current in production scope as far as I know.. It should be v 6.13.6. And usually installs no problems.
Give them a call. Their support is excellent.

Err yea, I don't think they are in the UK so it will be email. I have told RS who i bought it from of the problem, i spoke to the dumbest of call handlers who had to write down word for word what i said.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 05:15:49 pm »
just seen an actual phone number and it is UK, will call in the morning.

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 05:40:15 pm »
just seen an actual phone number and it is UK, will call in the morning.

Not very surprising, from their website:
Pico Technology Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 2626181.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 05:53:49 pm »
Yes they are from UK and really nice guys...

Offline Andreas

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 06:40:50 pm »
I downloaded the software particular to this product - yes they don't do one version for all.
 Has anyone else had such a delightful experience with a picoscope ?

a) the software is always the same for all models. Only the number of supported softwares for a model may change.
    (The PS2000 series is supported by the older PicoLog software).

b) I never had a problem with installing the software. (we have >10 PicoScopes at work) It should at least run in demo mode.
    The only problem we had in our company with one version some years ago was caused by a windows rights restriction of our IT department.
    This could be solved between the support and our IT.

If you have Windows XP you have to use a older version (R6.11) of the software. (see in the installation notes).
The newer versions support only > Win7

with best regards

Andreas

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 06:48:01 pm »
That is weird.  They are using SAME version for every current in production scope as far as I know..

As side note. DeepMeasure functionality that has higher accuracy "mass measurements" etc is disabled on 2000 series. Otherwise software itself should be same indeed incl. installer.
BTW if someone needs older version I might find one that did install on XP.

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 07:11:52 pm »
I downloaded the software particular to this product - yes they don't do one version for all. I have installed it but windows seems unaware of the install and the files in the picoscope program folder do not exactly look like a full program (no *.exe).
What URL did you download?

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 07:22:00 pm »
I have windows 10 which it is listed as compatible with. The manual gives you their download page address and i have to click a couple of times to find the software specific to my device.

I am sorry but I am not impressed, looks like things have changed greatly recently. I could have bought a cheaper unit but with the reputation of picoscope I thought best go with them.

I will ring them tomorrow so at least they know that their software does not work as claimed.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 07:44:17 pm »
I downloaded the software particular to this product - yes they don't do one version for all. I have installed it but windows seems unaware of the install and the files in the picoscope program folder do not exactly look like a full program (no *.exe).
so it seems classified only the buyers know. what i've downloaded is probably just a demo version. good its now removed from my system..
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 07:55:50 pm »
so it seems classified only the buyers know. what i've downloaded is probably just a demo version. good its now removed from my system..

You didn't read what was on the screen.. It was all on your screen. There is no secret download, no crippled demo.
On download link for latest version, below it says clearly, if you have windows XP, you should download last version that supports XP.
Link for XP version is (copied from their page) : https://www.picotech.com/download/software/sr/xp_vista/PicoScope6_r6_11_12.exe

And there is no demo, only full version, that will offer you demo mode if it cannot connect to picoscope device..

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 07:56:16 pm »
It's not top secret https://www.picotech.com/downloads, it's there and I tried another scopes software and it was the same file size and result. I think the model selector is bollocks, Any model from the 2000, 3000 and 4000 series links the same file.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 07:58:48 pm »
It's not top secret https://www.picotech.com/downloads, it's there and I tried another scopes software and it was the same file size and result. I think the model selector is bollocks, Any model from the 2000, 3000 and 4000 series links the same file.

That is correct, it' all the same. That selector is there for legacy support, of older devices. They offer full download/documentation support for my ADC212/100 from 2003.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 07:59:54 pm »
yes true

Offline Andreas

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 08:02:21 pm »
The PicoScope SW works as demo if you have no device attached to the computer.

If you have no PicoScope.exe then something went wrong during installation or download.
Which virus scan program do you use? (perhaps a false positive in quarantaine?).

with best regards

Andreas

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 08:03:56 pm »
winblows built in antivirus

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2018, 08:15:09 pm »
Ah, yea I was downloading the picoSDK not picoscope 6. Hopefully pico SDK is not required by anyone.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2018, 08:18:30 pm »
Ah, yea I was downloading the picoSDK not picoscope 6. Hopefully pico SDK is not required by anyone.
Only if you want to write your own software... Which is quite well supported too.
For normal use, just latest Picoscope  and you're good to go...

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2018, 12:13:12 am »

You didn't read what was on the screen.. It was all on your screen. There is no secret download, no crippled demo.
On download link for latest version, below it says clearly, if you have windows XP, you should download last version that supports XP.
Link for XP version is (copied from their page) : https://www.picotech.com/download/software/sr/xp_vista/PicoScope6_r6_11_12.exe

And there is no demo, only full version, that will offer you demo mode if it cannot connect to picoscope device..
i know, the fact is i dont own the hardware so there is no good in keeping the sw anyway i'm just doing it in favor of OP just because i think i have time to kill (not a good habit). And the fact that everybody not experiencing what the OP had and hesitant to answer (or lack of attention there of)  a direct question from where he got the sw, leading to different  questioning strategy. Didnt you learn the art of (good)  sarcasm back in school?  ;D obviously the OP did thats why i got his attention and answered tsman spot on. ;)

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2018, 12:20:06 am »
Only if you want to write your own software... Which is quite well supported too.
For normal use, just latest Picoscope  and you're good to go...
you see, with the correct strategy, we dont just get 1 answer but 2. Not only we confirmed that he downloaded from the same place as us, but now spotted he got the wrong download.. the SDK duh the Software Development Kit only real programmers know that, programming for programmers from programmer :palm:

Typing from my crap-ta-talk

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2018, 06:14:42 am »

I see absolutely nothing sarcastic in my statements.
It wasn't not really clear what are you trying to say, so I pointed out facts.

I'm just trying to be helpful. It wasn't my intention to argue with you.

Fact that most of the people have no problem is significant, as it points to something being specific of that particular PC.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2018, 07:48:48 am »
no worry mate i know its going to happen, in fact i pray for one to happen so things will become clearer ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf