Author Topic: Please recommend a microscope for up close PCB work $200 +/- $50 or so...  (Read 84716 times)

Offline alank2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Please recommend a microscope for up close PCB work $200 +/- $50 or so...

ALSO, 2nd question, are ratings like 5X and 10X not specific?  I have an optivisor that is 5X and 10X and the 10X optivisor seems weaker in magnification than a radio shack 5X-10X-15X loop on 5X.  Does that make any sense?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Please recommend a microscope for up close PCB work $200 +/- $50 or so...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 04:12:22 pm »
Inspection? Assembly? Rework? On the bench or inside equipment?

Does it have to be a microscope, or are there other tools that will satisfy your needs?

It is a very personal choice, but after having tried (hint, hint) various microscopes and illuminated lenses, my preference is something like http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/rolson-2-led-12x-18x-25x-and-35x-magnifying-visor-n70fk
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 04:17:07 pm »
Inspection yes/Assembly if it is better than the optivisor I use now.  On Bench.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 04:17:14 pm »
Please recommend a microscope for up close PCB work $200 +/- $50 or so...

ALSO, 2nd question, are ratings like 5X and 10X not specific?  I have an optivisor that is 5X and 10X and the 10X optivisor seems weaker in magnification than a radio shack 5X-10X-15X loop on 5X.  Does that make any sense?

Maginification rating for low end magnifier glasses are arbitrary in my experience.

As for microscope, check ebay, there are many good and cheap new Chineese microscopes such as from Amscope.

Things to look
* Stereo
* Light (it's a must)
* Zoom is handy.
* Magnification range. For PCB you want to have good low end, 7X or even 4X. They high range is less critical IMO.
* Flat and wide base  (nice to have a boom stand because it allows you to use your ESD matt as a surface)
* Camera port, in case you also want to take pictures or videos.

Some people have strict requirements for working distance (surface to objective lens or light ring) but a simple Amscope works great for me. You can latter increase the working distance (and the eyepiece height) by adding a barrlow lens.

I am very happy with this one (I don't have the camera port, that black tube at the top):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7X-45X-Stereo-Trinocular-Microscope-With-14-Pillar-Stand-64-LED-Ring-Light-/141603466209

Offline fivefish

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 04:24:38 pm »
The problem with "traditional" looking microscope is it only works if your PCBs are small and tiny. Otherwise, that column post will interfere with the board preventing you from looking at the center area of a big board.

Offline andy2000

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 04:46:32 pm »
I have an old Bausch & Lomb Stereo Zoom 4 on my bench.  It does continuous zoom from 7x-30x which I find great for fine SMD soldering, PCB foil repairs, and inspection for small defects.  There are various lighting options, but I use an attached circular fluorescent that surrounds the lens.  I'd probably go with an LED if I were replacing it.

I have it attached to a boom arm that's clamped to the left corner of my work bench, so I can swing it in front of me when I need it, and out of the way when I don't.  The arm is about 17" long, so it provides plenty of clearance for large circuit boards.  There's more than 3" of clearance between the object and the lens, and it provides about 1" diameter view at 7x.  I do have a lens that cuts the magnification to 1/2, but I've never really used it.

Offline Rupunzell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 05:01:25 pm »
If you're in the US, consider the long time industry standard work horse, Bausch & Lomb stereo zoom. There were a pile of these made over the decades and can be had in good used condition for $200 or less. These are proven durable, reliable, serviceable and optically reasonable.

Alternatives would be good used Nikon, Olympus, Genuine Meiji.

The best IMO are made by Wild Heerbrugg, Zeiss and specific Nikon, Olympus offerings.

I'm not a fan of low cost made in China microscopes, They have significant optical distortion, flimsy mechanical and overall designs that are specifically intended to be cheap.

Might want to read this before purchase:

http://www.absoluteclarity.com/buy-and-avoid.html

Bernice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 07:35:18 pm »
What is the deal with the lenses, which ones do you want for SMD soldering/inspection:

barlow 0.5x
barlow 2x
20x eyepiece

if a trino is roughly the same price, is there a disadvantage to it?

how far above the work can you have the scope?

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 08:01:47 pm »

I am very happy with this one (I don't have the camera port, that black tube at the top):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7X-45X-Stereo-Trinocular-Microscope-With-14-Pillar-Stand-64-LED-Ring-Light-/141603466209

This is $50 over OP specification  :-[     ie  $300 vs $250
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Fat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 08:07:22 pm »
I just bought a stereo microscope. Hasn't arrived yet.  I was using a visor to solder (even for big stuff).  I started looking at the Amscope SE line, but I am pretty sure they have a fixed magnification and don't allow a barlow lens to reduce the power.  I tried to pickup a used Bausch and Lomb stereo zoom. They are all over Ebay at very good prices, but it's hard to ensure you're not getting a worn out lemon with the seals all dried out. Then I'd need to get lighting and a boom arm as most come with a fixed mount.  Finally I bit the bullet and bought an Omano OM2300S with a dual boom and trinocular head.  I added a 144 LED light and a barlow lens so it will zoom from 3.5X to 45X.  I didn't get a camera yet, but will probably order something that I can use to adapt a Canon digital to it.  Cost was way over the amount you specified.

To meet your price goal the Bausch and Lomb stereo zoom makes the most sense.  If I could have found one with all the right pieces I would have bought it.

I'll let you know how the Omano is when it gets here.

Fat

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 08:15:28 pm »
What is the deal with the lenses, which ones do you want for SMD soldering/inspection:

barlow 0.5x
barlow 2x
20x eyepiece

if a trino is roughly the same price, is there a disadvantage to it?

how far above the work can you have the scope?

A Barlow sits at the bottom of the head. A 0.5X halves the magnification but doubles the working distance, typically from 90mm to 180mm. It also doubles the viewing area.

Using a 2X is rarely beneficial with electronics, you'll end up with a great view of a single small IC but no room to get a soldering iron near it.

10X eyepieces are probably best for electronics, I've never wanted more than about 20X magnification total, and most heads will manage 4X, which with 10X from eyepieces and 0.5X from the barlow then that's achievable. Should you need more then just remove the Barlow.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 08:21:27 pm »
Is it worth adding to the budget a bit to get something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/AmScope-SM-3BX-80S-Professional-Microscope-Magnification/dp/B004U4ADZ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447359616&sr=8-1&keywords=amscope+sm-3bx-80s

It has the light, it has the barlow 0.5x.  Would this be good for soldering and inspection?

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 08:39:43 pm »
How about something like this - it is less than $250

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reichert-569-7x-30x-Stereo-Star-Zoom-Microscope-WF10x-Eyepieces-Boom-Stand-/390816039476?hash=item5afe738234:g:tjYAAMXQyY1TRATn

I searched on "used stereo zoom microscope boom"

I do not know Reichert

Choices get better with bigger budget  :-DD

Then of course you have the problem of light  :-[  but I think rigging up lights is not too hard

If I was buying today I would get this - I think it is from an electronics lab because it is missing the AC cord  :-DD  and comes with a DOA warranty:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Technical-Instrument-650879-Lab-Stereo-Zoom-Microscope-Boom-Stand-/131648731678?hash=item1ea6e03a1e:g:YysAAOSwQoFWQVpo
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 08:43:09 pm »
How about something like this - it is less than $250

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reichert-569-7x-30x-Stereo-Star-Zoom-Microscope-WF10x-Eyepieces-Boom-Stand-/390816039476?hash=item5afe738234:g:tjYAAMXQyY1TRATn

I searched on "used stereo zoom microscope boom"

I do not know Reichert

Choices get better with bigger budget  :-DD

Then of course you have the problem of light  :-[  but I think rigging up lights is not too hard

If I was buying today I would get this - I think it is from an electronics lab because it is missing the AC cord  :-DD  and comes with a DOA warranty:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Technical-Instrument-650879-Lab-Stereo-Zoom-Microscope-Boom-Stand-/131648731678?hash=item1ea6e03a1e:g:YysAAOSwQoFWQVpo

That second one may have zoom in the title, but I don't think it has any zoom

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 08:51:52 pm »

http://www.amazon.com/AmScope-SM-3BX-80S-Professional-Microscope-Magnification/dp/B004U4ADZ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447359616&sr=8-1&keywords=amscope+sm-3bx-80s

It has the light, it has the barlow 0.5x.  Would this be good for soldering and inspection?

It's a nice one.  If your budget is tight, you can leave out the barlow lens for latter, in case you will need it (I don't), or if you will prefer a X0.7 one.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 08:59:26 pm »
It's a nice one.  If your budget is tight, you can leave out the barlow lens for latter, in case you will need it (I don't), or if you will prefer a X0.7 one.

How is it for soldering boards?  Do you have to move the board around or the scope around to focus much?  I am used to using a 5X or 10X optivisor now.  Does the barlow give you maginification without having to get as close as you would without it?  I have to get pretty close with the 10X optivisor...

My concern is will it be a pain not having it on my head moving around automatically like I am used to...

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 09:40:35 pm »

How is it for soldering boards?  Do you have to move the board around or the scope around to focus much?  I am used to using a 5X or 10X optivisor now.  Does the barlow give you maginification without having to get as close as you would without it?  I have to get pretty close with the 10X optivisor...

My concern is will it be a pain not having it on my head moving around automatically like I am used to...

I am using optivisor for normal electronics works and the microscope for delicate and soldering and inspection. I move the board around, not the microscope. The Barlow will increase the distance from the board to the length by its factor (e.g 0.7 will increase the distance times 1/0.7). This will raise the entire head including the eyepieces by that distance. I am using a neutral x1 Barlow to protect the lens from the fumes, not sure if it really matters.

Going from optivisor to a microscope you will be able to see what's really going on. Huge difference IMO.

I am using a boomless microscope and stow it away when not using. Less clutter on my multi purpose desk this way.

Edit: this is my third cheap eBay Chinese microscope. Also got two in two workplaces and was very happy with all of them.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 10:06:20 pm »
What about one without the boom mount - I don't have a lot of room on my table, would something like this still allow for soldering and inspection:

http://www.amscope.com/7x-45x-stereo-inspection-microscope-with-super-large-stand.html

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 10:24:47 pm »
What about one without the boom mount - I don't have a lot of room on my table, would something like this still allow for soldering and inspection:

http://www.amscope.com/7x-45x-stereo-inspection-microscope-with-super-large-stand.html

That's a very good base, thinner and larger area than mine.

Don't forget the light ring. It's very dark without it. :)

Offline Fat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 11:12:56 pm »

That one would work well. Looking at the recommendations and reviews around the internet, most people are feel like the single boom models can tip easily.  That's why I went with a double boom. If you are not going to do pictures this head should work well. If you want pictures then you'll want a trinocular.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2015, 02:57:03 am »
The boom style I think is just too big for my desk.

I ordered a SM-1BX from Amazon - they told me they would issue a no charge return shipping tag if I didn't like it, so we'll see when it gets here.

http://www.amscope.com/3-5x-45x-stereo-inspection-microscope-with-super-large-stand.html

Offline Fat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2015, 06:05:35 pm »
The boom style I think is just too big for my desk.

I ordered a SM-1BX from Amazon - they told me they would issue a no charge return shipping tag if I didn't like it, so we'll see when it gets here.

http://www.amscope.com/3-5x-45x-stereo-inspection-microscope-with-super-large-stand.html

Nice choice!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2015, 06:25:19 pm »
Thanks; I'm looking forward to it arriving.  I got it for $329 plus the AmScope LED-56S 56 LED Microscope Ring Light with Dimmer for $36.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2015, 06:36:19 pm »
Thanks; I'm looking forward to it arriving.  I got it for $329 plus the AmScope LED-56S 56 LED Microscope Ring Light with Dimmer for $36.

$200 or so  =  $365   :palm:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2015, 06:46:05 pm »
$200 or so  =  $365   :palm:

I know... I know...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf