Author Topic: Pocket Multimeter Shootout  (Read 43379 times)

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Pocket Multimeter Shootout
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2017, 03:24:04 pm »
I'm just glad to see the EEVBLOG doing old school stuff of interest to anyone interested in electronics.

Simple, useful and non-expensive meters, that's definitely interesting to see. :)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2017, 03:31:24 pm »
In my opinion a meter that is very small and fits nearly everywhere. I think thats rather hard to achiev with remouvable leads.  Thats wy I want a pocket dmm with fixed leads.

From the OED Arbitrary: Based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.

I'm still claiming fixed leads is arbitrary. And pocket multimeters don't need to fit nearly everywhere, just pockets.

So? Dave's shootout, Dave's rules!  :-//

FWIW, I'm with Dave. I want a "shirt pocket meter" to be completely enclosed in a case/wallet.

eg. This meter is tiny but I wouldn't want it in a shirt pocket, not with those leads flapping around.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2017, 03:45:42 pm »
I'm sure shirt pocket multimeters have their place.
But how did we ever manage without multimeter shirts?  ::)

Goes to show that there's a market for just about everything...

Offline tronde

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2017, 04:06:55 pm »
I agree about AN101.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2017, 04:29:46 pm »
I agree about AN101.

That one would count as "shirt pocket" in my book because it's completely self-contained and would fit nicely with no metal spikes or bulges.

Still, Dave's shootout, Dave's rules. If he disallows it, then...  :-//
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 04:39:01 pm by Fungus »

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2017, 04:54:22 pm »
Dangerous piece of kit, with bare metal jack inserts. Someone should also tell Aneng there is no such thing as CAT II 500V.
Handle with gloves only!

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2017, 05:00:08 pm »
Dangerous piece of kit, with bare metal jack inserts. Someone should also tell Aneng there is no such thing as CAT II 500V.

Nobody here would be buying it for the CAT rating or for use on the local substation, so...  :horse:

Handle with gloves only!

Good advice for ANY meter if you're going near mains electricity. Yes - even a Fluke 87V!

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2017, 05:32:31 pm »
I'd buy such a meter just to check some stuff I may find on a scrapyard or at a fleamarket/garage sale and battery powered projects. 
So CAT ratings and the bare metal jacks, woud'nt be a problem for me.
Plus in my opinion such a "shirt pocket meter" isn't really the first choice for a beginner either, so I woudn't be as concernd them buying it, as with say the AN8008 or similar.

Edit: On such a small meter, I woudn't unplug the measurment leads anyway. Which makes having a meter with remouvable ones for me kinda pointless. Excpet the meter itself proofs to be good.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:21:43 pm by Rbastler »
http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2017, 08:03:04 pm »

Nobody here would be buying it for the CAT rating or for use on the local substation, so...  :horse:

Handle with gloves only!

Good advice for ANY meter if you're going near mains electricity. Yes - even a Fluke 87V!
This will be a video aimed at the general public. It would be unethical to promote a meter which disregards international safety norms. This one is a non starter, except perhaps as an example of how not to make a safe pocket meter. There are plenty pocket meters out there with proper CAT ratings for a shootout (Brymen, Uni-T, CEM, Amprobe, Hioki, Kyoritsu, etc...).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:32:56 pm by Wytnucls »

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2017, 08:21:43 pm »
Handle with gloves only!

Agree, the gloves make it 100% safe. There is no way you could get the test tips out of their protective enclosure while wearing those gloves!  ;)

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:23:54 pm by ebastler »

The following users thanked this post: vinicius.jlantunes, tooki, Henrik_V

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2017, 08:28:46 pm »
I think the UT10A has been discontinued, replaced by the UT120A and UT120C. Old stock might still be available online for a while.

Given this, I think that reviewing a UT10A would be a waste of time.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2017, 10:53:48 pm »
That UT10A, CAT II 300V meter is auto-ranging and it can even measure frequency.   It handled 3KV transients from my low energy generator with no problems at all.  This was 1KV higher than what I damaged the pre-production 121GW at.   It started to break down at 4KV.  I made a few attempts open things up but had no luck with it.   With such a low breakdown, I decided run the second generator with it and it did a little dance for me in appreciation.   

What I remember most about that particular meter is it had THE WORST SELECTOR SWITCH I have EVER seen on a handheld.  Smooth is not an adjective I would use to describe it. 

https://youtu.be/QNRFTMk8MVI?t=2359

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2017, 11:02:46 pm »
That UT10A, CAT II 300V meter is auto-ranging and it can even measure frequency.   It handled 3KV transients from my low energy generator with no problems at all.  This was 1KV higher than what I damaged the pre-production 121GW at.   It started to break down at 4KV.  I made a few attempts open things up but had no luck with it.   With such a low breakdown, I decided run the second generator with it and it did a little dance for me in appreciation.   

What I remember most about that particular meter is it had THE WORST SELECTOR SWITCH I have EVER seen on a handheld.  Smooth is not an adjective I would use to describe it. 

https://youtu.be/QNRFTMk8MVI?t=2359

Did you have a chance to try the cheap analog MF-110A? Might be a competitor in that regard, albeit probably the only regard.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2017, 11:04:58 pm »
I think the UT10A has been discontinued, replaced by the UT120A and UT120C. Old stock might still be available online for a while.

Given this, I think that reviewing a UT10A would be a waste of time.

Unfortunately I don't have a UT120B yet (on order), and I plan on shooting the video today.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2017, 11:09:54 pm »
I guess the 4000 count Victor VICTOR VC921 matches the bill:

From a feature standpoint, this was my favorite of three I looked but that's not saying much.  Attached picture showing after a strike.  My Fluke 101 just laughs at this sort of transient!

I wonder what that HIOKI Dave has could handle....     

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2017, 11:11:04 pm »
If people want other meters included then this will delay the shootout by weeks (it takes many weeks to get meters here from Chinese sellers).
I lose enthusiasm real quick, just saying...

BTW I should have a UT120B by Monday or Tuesday hopefully.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 11:12:49 pm by EEVblog »

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2017, 11:19:56 pm »
I would say run with what you have at hand, if you added a couple more to the line up and ordered and waited for them to turn up from overseas there is always the risk that they could arrive faulty or not at all.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2017, 11:22:03 pm »
Did you have a chance to try the cheap analog MF-110A? Might be a competitor in that regard, albeit probably the only regard.

Sorry but I have not.  It appears not to have a fuse so it could be ran.  Problem is getting a good baseline.  Maybe buy 10 of them and pick the best one of the pile?   

https://zhidao.baidu.com/question/140039902.html

If people want other meters included then this will delay the shootout by weeks (it takes many weeks to get meters here from Chinese sellers).

:-DD :-DD  Consider this my official, no I do not want you to increase the number of pocket meters in the shoot out.   If you find a new way to destroy them in the end I'm certainly not going to give you a thumbs down over it! 

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2017, 11:24:49 pm »
Might be worthwhile waiting for the UT120B, since you ordered it. Your call.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2017, 11:27:04 pm »
I would say run with what you have at hand, if you added a couple more to the line up and ordered and waited for them to turn up from overseas there is always the risk that they could arrive faulty or not at all.

Well I'm shooting some footage today regardless. Likely won't finish today, so can probably wait for the UT120B and include that at the last minute.
But if people want the AN101 included then it will be some time.
The idea was I can always add more meters to the spreadsheet as they come to hand/market.

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2017, 11:29:27 pm »

It might be reasonable to have the UT in the video then, but it's your choice. As for other meters, yeah, it would take some time to arrive as everything else.

Sorry but I have not.  It appears not to have a fuse so it could be ran.  Problem is getting a good baseline.  Maybe buy 10 of them and pick the best one of the pile?   

https://zhidao.baidu.com/question/140039902.html

Just like the Fluke 101 then? :) Right, just like...
I'm sure it might have some uses though. I don't have a brand new intact one so it's hard to tell how the other units are, but there are many surprises inside (quality wise), even comparing to the similarly priced DT830 versions.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 11:33:52 pm by kalel »

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2017, 11:35:45 pm »
A follow up or sequel never killed anybody, except the villians.   8)

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2017, 11:36:35 pm »
A follow up or sequel never killed anybody, except the villians.   8)

Absolutely, especially when enough meters stack up. I'm sure new ones will appear sooner or later, with more and more interesting features, or at least specs.

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2017, 11:50:00 pm »
There is the LAOA LA814103 that looks strangely like the UNI-T UT120C for double the price, but it has one huge feature apparently:

It is the only multimeter that you can safely use underwater it seems.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LAOA-Thin-Multimeter-Automatic-Range-Multifunction-Electronic-Electrician-Dedicated-Pocket-Digital-Multimeter-LA814103/32788308160.html?

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2017, 11:53:58 pm »
@ Dave , Ask Charles at TRIO test if he has one of these in stock.
Extech DM220.  Might not be a true wallet style but should be easy to get hold of and add to the follow up testing.
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf