Author Topic: Point me to latest info on DYI DSOXLAN  (Read 16984 times)

Offline cidcorpTopic starter

• Supporter
Point me to latest info on DYI DSOXLAN
« on: December 09, 2015, 04:56:20 pm »
I've looked over the thread relating to the 'hack' of the DSOX-2k/3k scopes and the info relating to the DYI DSOXLAN board.

Just want to make sure I'm on the latest info, as the thread is a little older.  I found this github:

https://github.com/aewallin/DSOXLAN

...and just checking if I in the right place for the latest design files.  There were comments (in the hack thread) about issues and a slight mod on two of
the lines which related to the card detection.  Well anyway if by chance someone can confirm they used the github - much appreciated.

Chris

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Point me to latest info on DYI DSOXLAN
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 05:34:23 pm »
Yeah, that is as good as any. The detection is the trace loopback (labeled LAN_EN) and that *is* in the github design.

The github is based on the design I used and so should work fine (mine works perfectly and has been installed for a year or so).

Some folk had some warning msg come up about the vga (which of course doesn't exist on this diy board). I don't think we ever figured out why some received the warning and others didn't...

cheers,
george.

Offline cidcorpTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 08:34:45 pm »
Yeah, that is as good as any. The detection is the trace loopback (labeled LAN_EN) and that *is* in the github design.

The github is based on the design I used and so should work fine (mine works perfectly and has been installed for a year or so).

Some folk had some warning msg come up about the vga (which of course doesn't exist on this diy board). I don't think we ever figured out why some received the warning and others didn't...

cheers,
george.

Ah maybe some scope main board revision possibly?  But yes,  thank you georges80  :-+ - awesome.

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 01:20:17 am »
Daniel from Keysight, here.  Of course, we don't support DIY modules & firmware or hardware hacking.

But, there's not been a board revision ;).

Offline alanambrose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 12:49:41 pm »
Ah, I have been planning to post this up for a while but have not got round to it yet:

I'll post up the schematic etc. All credit to the guys that did the initial figuring out.

Anyone interested in taking a stab at the VGA part? - I made a riser board to check the LAN signals, so it would be easy to make another to bring out the display ones.

Alan
“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 03:21:07 pm »
That's 3D printed is it? Looks great :)

Offline alanambrose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 08:39:44 pm »
>>> That's 3D printed is it? Looks great

Thanks, yes, ordered from Shapeways 3D print service in 'Polished Strong & Flexible Plastic' material.

I think I've gathered everything here:

http://anagram.net/nuts/DSOXLAN/

Sorry no nice web page, just the files. There's the PCB design (in DipTrace), the schematics, the gerbers, the little BoM, the stl files for 3D print, images etc etc. Let me know if I've missed anything. I'll put up the 3D prints for ordering in Shapeways (at no profit to myself) if I can ever figure out how to do that. Maybe one day I'll even make a web page to make it all a bit more obvious :) My contribution is the 3D design work, kudos to the others who figured the connector pinout etc.

>>> Daniel from Keysight, here.  Of course, we don't support DIY modules & firmware or hardware hacking.

Daniel, there's a magjack, 2 capacitors and 3 resistors - not exactly a major hack. I would expect Keysight to be as relaxed about this as if I was using a bit of coax and ~450 ohms resistor to make a '50 ohm scope probe'. You will have seen the Siglent CEO interview with Dave. I for one, was dead impressed that he was prepared to engage with the eevblog community and describe his vision of 'lab tools for everyone' - certainly something that everyone here will concur with. I will consider Siglent gear now, and I would not have done before his interview. Food for thought maybe re Keysight's policies? What would Bill & Dave have done?

Alan

Offline aholtzma

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 10:33:14 pm »
Can you post the original CAD models? Did you do this with Solidworks?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 10:37:52 pm »
What would Bill & Dave have done?
What they have done already: make stuff which works right out of the box! I don't think Keysight's CEO needs to go on a 'hearts and minds' tour to fool people with fairytales.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 11:17:46 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline alanambrose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 06:22:05 pm »
OK up at shapeways if anyone wants:

http://www.shapeways.com/search?q=dsoxlan

I make exactly 0.00 on each one :)

Alan

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 09:21:30 pm »

>>> Daniel from Keysight, here.  Of course, we don't support DIY modules & firmware or hardware hacking.

Daniel, there's a magjack, 2 capacitors and 3 resistors - not exactly a major hack. I would expect Keysight to be as relaxed about this as if I was using a bit of coax and ~450 ohms resistor to make a '50 ohm scope probe'. You will have seen the Siglent CEO interview with Dave. I for one, was dead impressed that he was prepared to engage with the eevblog community and describe his vision of 'lab tools for everyone' - certainly something that everyone here will concur with. I will consider Siglent gear now, and I would not have done before his interview. Food for thought maybe re Keysight's policies? What would Bill & Dave have done?

Alan

Hi Alan, thanks for the feedback. I'm obligated to take a "no-support-or-endorsement-of-hacks" position; this is a Keysight policy and I like my job here (and want to keep it)!  :blah:

That being said, I love to see the community using and *improving* our tools. Keep up the good work! I don't see this as a battle between hackers/makers and "the man/Keysight."

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline PioB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 04:14:52 pm »
That'd be on normal 1.6 mm thick FR4?
And would http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?vendor=0&keywords=RJMG16 or one of the cheaper available on mouser magjacks also work? http://www.mouser.ch/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=rjmg16

« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 04:18:33 pm by PioB »

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 05:38:58 pm »
Yes, 1.6mm FR4 is what you want.

Regarding other magjacks, well, up to you to test. Obviously if you plan to use the gerbers in this thread you need a magjack that fits the footprint.

cheers,
george.

Offline PioB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2015, 12:15:22 pm »
Thank
Yes, 1.6mm FR4 is what you want.

Regarding other magjacks, well, up to you to test. Obviously if you plan to use the gerbers in this thread you need a magjack that fits the footprint.

cheers,
george.

Thank you very much, George.
I checked the data sheet at https://www.amphenolcanada.com/ProductSearch/Drawings/AC/RJMG16XXXXXX1XX.PDF and the Magjacks seem to (nearly) all work, provided their product ID is as follows:
RJMG1-6-XXX-8X-X1XX
The 8 after the three X corresponds to one of the "termination options" which needs to be observed. The second and third X just correspond to the LED-color (where it is better to not take 4 and 6, as they indicwate two antiparallel leds, 0,1,2 are ok (no, green, yellow).
Thank you very much for the info on the thickness, too.

Pio

Offline alanambrose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 02:02:28 pm »
>>> That'd be on normal 1.6 mm thick FR4?

Yes, I forgot to mention that.

>>> Regarding other magjacks

I first went in that direction, didn't get the one I was using to work and then figured it would be faster to just use the same magjack as on the kosher board.

I noticed that these ones are in stock again at Farnell and not expensive. I had to order mine from Mouser I think.

Alan

Offline hax129

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 01:25:48 am »
About a year ago I ordered my first attempt on a DSOXLAN clone based around a Pulse LAN connector that I have a few handfuls of in stock. Of course I got two signals swapped (for one of the LEDs), but otherwise it worked perfectly. When I had the PCB re-done a few months later I’d removed the solder-mask along the back edge to allow soldering on an end plate for support, that I ordered as well. Of course, again, the first attempt on the end plate hadn’t the correct bend on the edges and had to be filed down to fit.  :( (I then went and got myself a cheap radius gauge…)

With the second revision of the back plate the module now fits perfectly! :)

It’s definitely not as nice as an 3D-printed back-plate, but it works just as well.

PS: I have 9 sets of PCBs that I won’t be using, plus the Pulse LAN connectors. PM me in case you’re interested...

The following users thanked this post: gbrettell

Offline fmaimon

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 02:49:56 pm »
I think I've gathered everything here:

http://anagram.net/nuts/DSOXLAN/

Alan, the diptrace files are all missing. When trying to download them, I get a 404 error.

I'm modifying that github (Kicad) to use the Hanrun HR911105A connectors, as they are easy to get on ebay, and I would like to use your 3D printed supports, so I need to modify the mounting holes and maybe the position of the connector.

Thank you,
Felipe

Offline alanambrose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 09:29:48 pm »
Hi Felipe,

>>> Alan, the diptrace files are all missing. When trying to download them, I get a 404 error.

Ah, the web server is refusing to serve files with .dip and .dch extensions. I've put them in a zip file instead.

You want:

http://anagram.net/nuts/DSOXLAN/PCBs/LAN 1b - diptrace.zip

or maybe

http://anagram.net/nuts/DSOXLAN/PCBs/LAN 1 extender - diptrace.zip

... if you wanted to pipe out the signals for testing. Actually if you're in Europe, I'll post you out an extender card if you want.

Re the Hanrun HR911105A - I'm not sure how specific the magnetics are. Certainly my first try didn't work and I figured I would just use the standard ones rather than spend the time debugging.

BTW you do get a start-up error message as the VGA hardware isn't there - that doesn't seem to matter.

Alan

Offline fmaimon

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 12:06:46 am »
Thank you very much!

Regarding the magnetics, I've seen at least two different ones. Yours (Magjack RJMG16) and the one of the first post of this thread (TRP Connector 5-6605758-7 - Digikey 1419-1021-ND) and both work. I will try this third one, as it seems easier to buy.

Thank you again,

Felipe

Offline fmaimon

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 02:15:17 pm »
In the end it was easier for me to use Diptrace, instead of Kicad, because I was more familiar with it. Here it is the schematic, layout and diptrace files. Now I've just have to wait some weeks for it to arrive.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 02:17:43 pm by fmaimon »

Offline fmaimon

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2016, 10:30:06 pm »
I've just received the PCBs! It works! Now everyone have an option for a different jack.

Offline gbrettell

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 08:11:45 pm »
About a year ago I ordered my first attempt on a DSOXLAN clone based around a Pulse LAN connector that I have a few handfuls of in stock. Of course I got two signals swapped (for one of the LEDs), but otherwise it worked perfectly. When I had the PCB re-done a few months later I’d removed the solder-mask along the back edge to allow soldering on an end plate for support, that I ordered as well. Of course, again, the first attempt on the end plate hadn’t the correct bend on the edges and had to be filed down to fit.  :( (I then went and got myself a cheap radius gauge…)

It’s definitely not as nice as an 3D-printed back-plate, but it works just as well.

PS: I have 9 sets of PCBs that I won’t be using, plus the Pulse LAN connectors. PM me in case you’re interested...

I can attest that this board (designed by hax129) works great ... I purchased one (@ very reasonable cost) and I highly recommend getting one of these (if you need one)!

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 01:48:41 am »

Works great for me too.  Received in about 10 days to Los Angeles.  Doubt hax129 made any profit on this.  Very nice pcb and components, but don't try this if you don't like soldering parts about the size of this . :o

Offline azer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2018, 10:02:15 pm »
Anybody has the CAD models? They seem to be gone from shapeways.

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf