Author Topic: Polorad 1105E-FT Microwave Signal Generator  (Read 4474 times)

Offline Terabyte2007Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • It is purpose that created us... That defines us..
Polorad 1105E-FT Microwave Signal Generator
« on: May 23, 2015, 11:37:58 am »
I scored a little piece of historical test equipment recently for 60 dollars. The unit was NOS, never used and had all the original manuals, cables and etc. sealed in the factory bags. The unit is nearly flawless and after powering it up to test the functionality I checked the to see it it was in spec and it passed no problem! It came with the attached 1020T modulator also! I will try and find some time this weekend to open her up and take a few pics...

For now, I did find this small website dedicated to the company.

http://www.polarad.com
Eric Haney, MCSE, EE, DMC-D
Electronics Designer, Prototype Builder

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Polorad 1105E-FT Microwave Signal Generator
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 12:09:50 pm »
Lovely that they included the rack mount as standard, nicely fitted to the front panel with space reserved for it as well.

Looks lovely and new.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 01:23:49 pm »
Lovely that they included the rack mount as standard, nicely fitted to the front panel with space reserved for it as well.

Looks lovely and new.

It also came with a set of rack mounts for the modulator in case you wanted to separate the modulator from the generator and rack mount seperatley.

I actually have a full sized equipment rack that will be given to me shortly which I will populate with gear along with I/O plates for various functions. Should help my cluttered bench issue!  ;D

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 02:28:19 pm »
When setting up the rack add way more power outlets than you think you will need ( like more than double the amount) so that you do not end up a year or two down the line having to figure out how you are going to power the new stuff without having to rip out and repack half the rack

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 02:32:50 pm »
When setting up the rack add way more power outlets than you think you will need ( like more than double the amount) so that you do not end up a year or two down the line having to figure out how you are going to power the new stuff without having to rip out and repack half the rack
Good idea.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 02:53:38 pm »
At work the rack, with a power rail running from top to bottom, is full, and I added an extra socket outlet already, plugged into the one existing outlet. Funny how those wall warts on things are so arranged that plugging in one means the outlet points either side ( or in some cases 2 on the one side and the other) are not usable, as they are so big that the plugtops will not fit under them. As well they come ( here at least) with that poor 2 pin plug, that the most common adaptors will only fit in one orientation, of course being the worst.

When wiring up dedicated outlets for the DECT repeaters I used proper outlets for them, which actually fit 2 power supplies in an outlet box, thanks to the Siemens designers having the forethought to make the supply slimline so they fit properly, but they are just 2mm too wide to fit adjacent in the socket.

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 03:12:32 pm »
You can tame the power cord struggle with something like this:

Usually, the power drain isn't an issue, you just need somewhere to plug the thing in.  This is the perfect solution.

Ed

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 03:31:50 pm »
Polarad was one of the top companies in RF in the 50's I think, I still have one of those but I forgot why  :palm:

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 04:13:46 pm »
Polarad was one of the top companies in RF in the 50's I think, I still have one of those but I forgot why  [emoji14]alm:

Nice. I like the color!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 04:15:49 pm »
Polarad was one of the top companies in RF in the 50's I think, I still have one of those but I forgot why  [emoji14]alm:

I believe the one I bought is 1982 or around about.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 06:15:29 pm »
At work the rack, with a power rail running from top to bottom, is full, and I added an extra socket outlet already, plugged into the one existing outlet. Funny how those wall warts on things are so arranged that plugging in one means the outlet points either side ( or in some cases 2 on the one side and the other) are not usable, as they are so big that the plugtops will not fit under them. As well they come ( here at least) with that poor 2 pin plug, that the most common adaptors will only fit in one orientation, of course being the worst.

When wiring up dedicated outlets for the DECT repeaters I used proper outlets for them, which actually fit 2 power supplies in an outlet box, thanks to the Siemens designers having the forethought to make the supply slimline so they fit properly, but they are just 2mm too wide to fit adjacent in the socket.

At work we use wall wart extensions to help manage the packs. Here is a Google Image search of some of them...

https://www.google.com/search?q=wall+wart+extension&newwindow=1&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=SMNgVZDTG8SrNv6zgIAC&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1805&bih=1341

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf