Author Topic: ProbeMaster Needle PN#8152 Damaged  (Read 1004 times)

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
ProbeMaster Needle PN#8152 Damaged
« on: November 15, 2018, 03:04:14 am »
I have used Probe Master probes for some time and have really liked them.  The other day I was doing some work and my meter started acting up and I realized one of the probes had gone bad. 

These probes are their spring loaded needles.   I've had this set for several years.  The only time these were damaged is when I had loaned them out and the person used the needle as a pry bar.  The needles are replaceable, so not as bad as the person that rotated the selector switch past the dead stop on my meter. 

https://probemaster.com/spring-loaded-micro-tip-test-leads-only/

What happened is the receiver for the pogo pin had snapped off right at the base.  I had some receivers from Evert Charles with a WW end.  These are pretty solid.  Ended up replacing both receivers.   I was looking over what I had left from the Fairchild days and found some old flux buster pins that look like they may do a better job than the needles for the majority of the work I use the meter for.   That's on of the nice thing about the PN# 8152 probes is they use industry standard pins. 

I think the problem is the plastic ends that fit over the receivers has come loose from time to time which puts a strain on that joint where it is soldered.  Not a big deal but there seems to be room for improvement.  At least they can be repaired. 

Also shown are my old PM probes that I use with my old HP bench meter.  These are an unplated stainless tip.   Nice thing with these is a little wet sanding and they are resorted to a needle point. 

The following users thanked this post: Trader

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf