Author Topic: Problem with OWON SDS7102V  (Read 3962 times)

Offline Dark_NoxusTopic starter

Problem with OWON SDS7102V
« on: March 04, 2015, 10:42:07 pm »
In first time, Hi for everybody I am new here:

I am writing because I have a rare problem with the potentiometers of this oscilloscope, exactly when I rotate fast the potentiometers, the cursor do not follow a lineal movement, the cursor jump back or before.
It is very uncomfortable when I have to do big shift of the cursor.

Could be that the encoder lose steps and the control lose the real position?
Do you Know if it is a general fail or only I have it?
Any idea to fix it? I want avoid send to warranty.

Thanks, and sorry if I have grammatical mistakes but I do no speak english very well.

Offline N8AUM

• Regular Contributor
Re: Problem with OWON SDS7102V
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 11:59:40 pm »
Sorry to hear that you have problem. Did the problem just start or has it always done that ?

Offline Dark_NoxusTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 02:04:42 pm »
The problem occurs since the first day, but like the oscilloscope works I do not try to fix until now.

Offline 1xrtt

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 04:27:40 pm »
I have the same model and I never noticed this behavior. Doing some quick tests, if I turn the Vertical Position encoders (I don't think they are potentiometers) really fast, the cursor sometimes does not move linearly, in a constant speed, but it never moves in the reverse direction.
So it could be that the encoders are missing positions, but I also think the scope is not that well designed to allow for fast movements of the knobs. I really could not say.
I already replaced the power switch on the top  and the cpu fan, but I don't have a inside picture to see how the encoders are mounted and how difficult they are to replace, if they turned to be deffective.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 07:34:12 pm »
I have never seen this problem in Owon and I have sold years this model.  I have also warranty repair service for my customers and no any case. Also I have tested every single Owon using 72hour "burn in" test before sell and not any encoder issue..
But of course it is possible with Owon just as also with  other brands. 

Rigol have sold lot of more so propaability to fain encoder issues is more and as we can see looking Rigol there can find quite lot of information about encoders problems.
This is just one example where you can find more  information about encoders (not exactly compatible with Owon):
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/problem-with-rigol-scope-knob/msg17984/#msg17984

There is many threads in EEVblog forum about these encoder problems.
Just use search.

If your scope is still in warranty, you can contact Owon and ask if they can help.
Also whole front panel where are encoders  is not  expensive spare part,  if they do not want send it free to you. All boards (spare part) can purchase from Owon. If encoders are bad, best solution is just replace whole front panel board. 

« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:35:54 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline MF-jockey

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 10:19:26 am »

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf