Author Topic: Home Depots- Tool set $15 side cutter, strippers, multimeter w/batt  (Read 5259 times)

Offline ADC-1995Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
I came across this set today and if you are central USA you are in luck. Its the store brand Commercial Electric and there are a couple of reviews on the site. Meter would be good for low power projects. Nice price for everything you get including battery and leads.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-3-Piece-Electrician-s-Tool-Set-CE130114/204191768

• Regular Contributor
Re: Home Depots- Tool set $15 side cutter, strippers, multimeter w/batt
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 02:09:05 am »
After unpacking the tools and I was getting ready to toss the multi-meter in with the rest of the cheap give away Chinese meters, I paused and gave it a second look and noticed the leads were decent, not a Fluke, but OK. Someone else did a review of this same meter, but here is a side by side of the quality difference between Cen-Tech and CE MAS830B. And after testing it on its accuracy on resistors, diodes, and voltage... its not to bad for a non-auto ranging meter and the manual specs actually look believable.

I gave it the 'Dave' Twist and no flex, the inside internal fuses look OK, has a case protector, and actually not bad.

Offline radhaz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 03:50:32 am »
Doesn't look bad at all, especially for the price.

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 05:20:29 am »
Not bad for $15, to bad I dont have a Home Depot close by.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 07:20:51 am »
Two ceramic fuses - that looks like a really well built meter for $15.

Just looked and it appears this meter doesn't have a continuity beeper - that's a pretty strange omission?! - actually the Centech type meters don't have a beeper either, so not that strange, probably uses the same chipset (for want of a better word).

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 07:30:04 am by sleemanj »
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline MrSlack

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 08:39:48 am »
I love meters without beeper. It's needed for continuity of course but the infernal vendors tend to decide to use it for 90 other functions like overloads, when you change mode, when you've left it on for more than a couple of minutes and probably when it's your birthday...beep beep beep beep shuttup!

Looks reasonable though. I keep one like that in the car.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 11:16:12 am »
That's not a bad meter for something thrown into a cheap kit, but to call it an "electrician's" meter is a BIG stretch.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 11:47:54 am »
I bought a few similar meters when one of our suppliers were clearing them out for $12 AUD, they still carry them but are now asking for $29 AUD just for the meter alone still a handy cheap little meter but not at that price,  the 10 amp range is unfused and mine has standard M-205 fuse for the lower current ranges in addition it has continuity and a backlight which only stays on for about five seconds so a slightly different model perhaps, might be a simple mod for the extra features.

It survived a 25 foot drop from a roof without a scratch, my Flukes and Agilents are not permitted to go above bench height.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 04:50:33 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 06:52:45 pm »
Similar to the Velleman-branded Fry's $10 special (sometimes $5 or even $0 on sale):
http://frys.com/product/6449882

The Fry's version DVM850BL also has a backlight and the all-important transistor tester.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 11:57:18 pm »

The Fry's version DVM850BL also has a backlight and the all-important transistor tester.

Thats  a good one, "all-important transistor tester".   As for the MAS830B, CE passed on the back-light feature.

Offline MrSlack

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 12:09:18 am »
I love those transistor testers. I use them for quickly matching pairs for diffamps etc quite regularly and they're quite useful!

(UT33A)

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 03:33:57 am »
Wow, looks great for the price, thanks for sharing!  :-+

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 03:36:35 am »
I just checked the Canadian Home Depot website, and while the same tool set doesn't exist; there is a good deal on the EXTECH EX330 for C$59.99; about $42.50 US

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 12:07:41 pm »
After unpacking the tools and I was getting ready to toss the multi-meter in with the rest of the cheap give away Chinese meters, I paused and gave it a second look and noticed the leads were decent, not a Fluke, but OK. Someone else did a review of this same meter, but here is a side by side of the quality difference between Cen-Tech and CE MAS830B. And after testing it on its accuracy on resistors, diodes, and voltage... its not to bad for a non-auto ranging meter and the manual specs actually look believable.

I gave it the 'Dave' Twist and no flex, the inside internal fuses look OK, has a case protector, and actually not bad.
It's a rebadged Mastech: http://www.p-mastech.com/product/detail/325

Honestly, for the price the Mastech's aren't too bad. I have one someone gave me a few years back, and though it's clearly no Fluke or Brymen, it's not horrible either. (And I agree, Mastech's probes are perfectly adequate.)

In a way, Mastech should give these a new model number: calling them an 830 series does them a disservice. As you've shown, they're worlds apart from the generic 830's like the Cen-Tech.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf