Author Topic: [Solved] PXI system questions  (Read 1270 times)

Offline blueskullTopic starter

• Supporter
  • !
  • BA7LKP
[Solved] PXI system questions
« on: March 28, 2019, 08:22:39 am »
Test gear gurus,

Is there anyone who has dealt with PXI systems from NI and KS?

I'm looking into build a cheap (relatively) PXI system with the following components:

1. NI PXIe-8301 Thunderbolt 3 PXIe controller
2. NI PXIe-1078 PXI/PXIe chassis
3. KS M9240A auto probe I/F
4. KS M9243A 1GHz 2ch scope *2
5. KS M9111A SMU *3
6. A 6.5-dgt DMM of any brand I can scavenge

Here are the questions:

1. I don't want to spend $ on LabView nor its ilks. Can I still use an NI chassis and controller card?
2. If I use a measurement card (a DMM perhaps) from NI, can I still get around without LabView? I'm willing to code with VISA/SCPI as long as it's not something complicated as a scope.
3. KS IO Suite is only available on Windows and Linux. How can I get it to run on a Mac? Or alternatively, how can I passthrough thunderbolt devices over to a desktop VM (not the expensive ones like ESXi)?

Thanks for your help.

Solved. Ordered a Keysight embedded controller w/ Windows 7 pre-installed.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 09:37:54 am by blueskull »

Online TheUnnamedNewbie

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
Re: PXI system questions
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 09:29:35 am »
Is this as replacement for a general lab, or for automated test (or tests that require a lot of automation, like characterization of circuits or chips)? If the latter, I would say why not just invest in a small dedicated computer and run matlab/python/whatever on that to do your measurements?

I don't have much experience with PXI systems, but I'm used to just running a computer and talking SCPI to my instruments regardless of the formfactor.
The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

Offline Gribo

• Frequent Contributor
Re: [Solved] PXI system questions
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 11:44:59 am »
You can use PXI with any language (Python, C#, VB). It becomes useful when you need high instrument density (Lots of scope channels, DIO, power supplies in a 4U form factor) and tight timing/triggers that standard benchtop devices can't provide, otherwise it is just a very expensive equipment rack.
I am available for freelance work.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf