Author Topic: Quality test probes?  (Read 9652 times)

Offline Helix70Topic starter

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
Quality test probes?
« on: July 27, 2017, 11:35:58 am »
I need a set of probes for a Brymen 257s. Anyone got any suggestions for good quality and reasonable price?  Are all those Chinese fluke probes fake? Are they as good as the USA ones?

Offline spidola

• Contributor
Re: Quality test probes?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 11:47:32 am »
As a safe choice, you could buy Brymen probes, they are not too expensive  :)

Offline JLNY

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 12:08:30 pm »
I use a pair of TL175 probes bought off eBay from China for about $23. As far as I can tell they are real. The strain reliefs are flexible rubber, and the leads are thick and rubbery and don't twist easily. Then again, I've never used a pair of known-real TL175 probes to compare. Either way, the ones I have are they are still way better than any other probes I have used. The trick when buying on eBay seems to be to go for the ones with the yellow Fluke markings rather than the gray ones.

I guess one way to test would be to buy a pair then score the jacket to see if they are using the double-colored "wear-guard" insulation underneath.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 12:21:16 pm by JLNY »

Offline Helix70Topic starter

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 12:27:06 pm »
I can't find any that cheap.. must not come up that often for that price?

Offline JLNY

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 12:43:27 pm »
I can't find any that cheap.. must not come up that often for that price?

IIRC, they were an unusually low price.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 01:03:18 pm »
I'm not sure where you're located, but you may want to take a serious look at Probemaster; particularly if you live in the US (free shipping to US addresses). FWIW they will ship internationally, though you may need to make email contact if the automatic shipping rate is too high.

As per their quality, they beat Fluke/Pomona IME (drop in Fluke/Pomona's quality - thanks Danaher  ::)), especially the pogo/spring-loaded models. You'll note there's different series', and for electronics work, I'd recommend going with the modular 9000 series over the 8000 series. Less weight hanging off of your test points, so fewer instances the connector will come off the DUT. For just a basic set of probes however, go for the 8000 series (softie bodies are awesome).

In either case, the wire's flexibility is that of a freshly cooked spaghetti noodle, and they don't tangle as easily as PVC by a long shot. For disclosure, I own both an older set of Fluke probes as well, and I still prefer my Probemaster stuff.  :o  :-+

They also offer a better value IME (i.e. same/equivalent stuff for less money than the Fluke/Pomona). For example, compare a Probemaster 9104 Deluxe Electronics Kit + 8151 spring-loaded set to a Fluke TLK287 Master Electronics Kit. Works out to ~$40 less expensive before you account for shipping on the Fluke kit.

The most universal banana end would be the retractable shrouded versions IME, as they can fit both older and modern gear whether it be hand held or bench (shrouded or unshrouded banana inputs). I do prefer RT angle for field use, but I don't do that too often.

YMMV of course, but if you get your hands on a set, you'll wonder why you didn't get them sooner.  ;D

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 01:18:46 pm »
Are all those Chinese fluke probes fake?

Almost certainly.

Are they as good as the USA ones?

I bought a set of these a few weeks ago: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252361778216

Obviously not manufactured by Fluke but they have 30 reviews, mostly five stars and plenty of people saying they really are silicone, not PVC.

Mine haven't arrived yet so I can't comment, but...  :-//
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 01:31:01 pm by Fungus »

Offline deepskyridge

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 04:21:21 pm »
Don't waste your money on chinese probes, go with Probemaster.

I have one of their sets of probes and they are the best probes I have ever used with almost 50 years of experience.

Gary

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 05:22:02 pm »

Obviously not manufactured by Fluke but they have 30 reviews, mostly five stars and plenty of people saying they really are silicone, not PVC.
I'm wondering if they're meant for the Chinese and Indian markets, just as the 17B+ is (made by an OEM Fluke contracted).  :-//

Offline JLNY

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 05:30:17 pm »
I mean, you can go on Flukes website and get them through a distributor like digikey if you are wary of fakes. The prices honestly aren't that different from the eBay prices, at least for the TL175's:

http://en-us.fluke.com/products/all-accessories/fluke-tl175.html

http://en-us.fluke.com/products/all-accessories/fluke-tl71.html

I think I even see links to amazon under the "buy now" button. I don't know if I trust all the vendors on Amazon, though :-//... Quite frankly, I think Fluke's probes ARE being made in China these days, so I don't know if the ones sold from China are necessarily fakes.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 05:32:44 pm by JLNY »

Offline vinicius.jlantunes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 05:34:26 pm »
I can only recommend Probemaster as well. Very good quality and a nanofrog pointed out they don't tangle that easily. That's one of the aspects I like the most.
Oh and they're really sharp (I have a 8000 series probe, just the probe and no accessories).

They might be a bit more expensive than ebay stuff, but will last a lifetime.

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 05:49:14 pm »
I like my 8000 series probemasters. Though I enjoy my gold plated brymens.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 06:43:29 pm »
I bought 2 sets of these a few weeks ago for half this price.
They seem to be similar to the ones that came with my Fluke 87 III.

It is a shame you can no longer tell from the descriptions what it is you are buying!

I feel foolish when over paying the manufacturer and foolish if the Chinese items I order are fake.
Even after researching items on the EEV blog forum most of the items I receive from China are still low quality versions.

This time I think I did all right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Fluke-TL75-Hard-Point-Test-Lead-Set-for-Digital-Multimeter/281312057886?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 06:55:48 pm by Johnny10 »
Tektronix TDS7104, DMM4050, HP 3561A, HP 35665, Tek 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tek 7854, 7834, HP3457A, Tek 575, 576, 577 Curve Tracers, Datron 4000, Datron 4000A, DOS4EVER uTracer, HP5335A, EIP534B 20GHz Frequency Counter, TrueTime Rubidium, Sencore LC102, Tek TG506, TG501, SG503, HP 8568B

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 06:51:12 pm »
Here you go.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brymen-Silicone-Gold-Plated-Test-Leads-Probes-for-Multimeters-CAT-IV-1000V-/171162377470?epid=2063657290&hash=item27da129cfe:g:uSQAAOxyTjNShpch

Or here, for about half the price, from an authorized Brymen distributor:
https://www.welectron.com/Brymen-BL21S2-T4SC-Silicone-Test-Leads

(Shipping costs come on top, which may make this one less attractive depending on where you are. If you order a meter from them, shipping is free.)

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2017, 12:51:35 am »
Are all those Chinese fluke probes fake? Are they as good as the USA ones?
Only time will tell but I've ordered large numbers of the Chinese origin fluke silicone test leads and they were visually and electrically just the same as the older USA origin versions.

Offline Titan 4380

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2017, 12:13:38 pm »
I got a set of OEM packaged TL175 leads when I purchased my F289 meter. I decided that I wanted a 'backup' set and purchased an OEM set from a Chinese vendor at about 30% of the cost of a packaged Fluke set. These Chinese TL 175 leads were identical in every respect including branding and lead resistance. There is a Youtube video produced by Martin Lorton questioning the authenticity of a set of Chinese leads. In fact, he trashes a set of leads only to discover that they were the real (Chinese) deal.

The following users thanked this post: JLNY

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 12:26:15 pm »

They turned up today and they're definitely silicone. I haven't chopped one in half but the resistance is down there with real Fluke leads.

I don't poke at substations with any of my meters or measure more than a couple of amps of current so I'd definitely buy more.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 05:52:29 pm »

They turned up today and they're definitely silicone. I haven't chopped one in half but the resistance is down there with real Fluke leads.

I don't poke at substations with any of my meters or measure more than a couple of amps of current so I'd definitely buy more.
Thanks for the update.  :-+ At that price, I'll have to order a few sets (backup & future meter purchases as I'm a died-in-the-wool T&M junkie*  >:D).  ;D

*No, I'm not a member of TEA as I don't see GAS as a problem in my current state.  :o The reason is I can still move around in the lab; and if it gets too cluttered, I have a storage building to make room as needed. :-DD
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 05:56:24 pm by nanofrog »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 06:18:07 pm »
Thanks for the update.  :-+ At that price, I'll have to order a few sets (backup & future meter purchases as I'm a died-in-the-wool T&M junkie*  >:D).  ;D

I ordered another set after using them for half an hour.  :)

(plus a few 'Fluke' crocodile clips)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 06:21:48 pm by Fungus »

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 06:58:00 pm »
I have probes similar to this (but not angled) and overall I'm happy: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cleqee-P1300B-Super-Table-Pens-Multi-function-Needle-changing-Needle-Multimeter-Pens-Pens-Line-Digital-Special/32791331161.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.Qu6F5r (ordered these as well, but haven't received them yet). I dunno what material insulation is.

What makes me wonder is why most probes do not have alligator clip option, I use them most of the time in my mini-lab. Sometimes I use one alligator probe for ground connection and one normal if I need to measure multiple points (like an oscilloscope probes with ground lead).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf