Author Topic: 121GW App Testing  (Read 34520 times)

Online HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
Re: 121GW App Testing
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2018, 07:13:39 am »

CSV is Comma Separated Value.

The above is a F**k Microsoft has tried to impose is recent years.

You must be rather old to call it "recent years", I have seen this silly problem for many years.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2018, 07:31:59 am »
2. The scroll and pinch gestures on the graph area only affect the time axis, not the vertical axis
  - if I pinch or drag in a vertical direction I would like it to affect the vertical graph scale

Yes - this. Especially  2.

This is a feature that was actually tried, but there was a tendency to get lost on the plot if you can pan everywhere.
I would have to do some framing around the visible data but this was also tried and it proved confusing when panning. I also want this but I haven't thought of a great method to avoid the issues. Any ideas?

I can't provide any help on how to make that work from a programming perspective.

It's not an engineering app, and not exactly independent x and y control, but an example of excellent implementation of x and y axis pinch and drag, pan and zoom, etc is the
thinkorswim mobile app.  It's a financial trading platform but it has extensive graphing (charting) features which automatically adjust the x axis values to the appropriate scale of whatever is zoomed or panned on the y axis.   You don't need an account to use the app BTW.

Even though you cannot adjust the y axis independently, because of the way its implemented, it feels like you can.  IOW since the y axis automatically adjusts as you pan and zoom (time wise) on the data of interest, it gives the impression that you have direct control over the y axis.  Not sure if that makes sense - it's something you have to experience.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 07:41:33 am by mtdoc »

Offline SeppyTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2018, 07:55:46 am »
2. The scroll and pinch gestures on the graph area only affect the time axis, not the vertical axis
  - if I pinch or drag in a vertical direction I would like it to affect the vertical graph scale

This is a feature that was actually tried, but there was a tendency to get lost on the plot if you can pan everywhere.
I would have to do some framing around the visible data but this was also tried and it proved confusing when panning. I also want this but I haven't thought of a great method to avoid the issues. Any ideas?

I can't provide any help on how to make that work from a programming perspective.

It's not an engineering app, and not exactly independent x and y control, but an example of excellent implementation of x and y axis pinch and drag, pan and zoom, etc is the
thinkorswim mobile app.  It's a financial trading platform but it has extensive graphing (charting) features which automatically adjust the x axis values to the appropriate scale of whatever is zoomed or panned on the y axis.   You don't need an account to use the app BTW.

Awesome i'll have a look at what they did. Cannot Greentree its something that will be implemented but i'll give a go.
They appear to do the same framing auto scaling I did, I'll put it back in the app so you can have a look. Might take a day.

Offline plexus

• Contributor
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2018, 06:32:02 pm »
You can use the app now if you like, just fill in the form at the top of the page and become a beta tester :)

How do I get the app? i searched the app store on my iphone for 121gw and eevblog and nothing came up.

The app is not published yet. But you can fill in the form linked at the top of this thread and request to become a beta tester.

Oh. I did fill out the form awhile ago and nothing happened so I thought I had to do something. Can you maybe put copy on the form that lets the user know what is supposed to happen etc so they aren't in the dark and then posting unnecessarily, like I am here.

I still do have the app and nothing came through via the form. So, what next?

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2018, 08:14:59 pm »
Oh. I did fill out the form awhile ago and nothing happened so I thought I had to do something. Can you maybe put copy on the form that lets the user know what is supposed to happen etc so they aren't in the dark and then posting unnecessarily, like I am here.

OK, Seppy is the author and publisher of the app. I was just adding a helpful comment. I'll leave you to interact with Seppy:

How do I get the app? i searched the app store on my iphone for 121gw and eevblog and nothing came up.

Hello, you should have received an invite in your email to join the beta program.

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2018, 01:08:09 am »
You can use the app now if you like, just fill in the form at the top of the page and become a beta tester :)

The app is not published yet. But you can fill in the form linked at the top of this thread and request to become a beta tester.

You should have received an email invite in the inbox for the email you filled in the form, its likely in spam if you cannot see it, i'll resend it regardless.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2018, 01:24:05 am »

Yes, I would just add a "home" gesture like a double tap on the graph that resets the frame to a normal view. Then if you get lost on the plot you can just double tap with your finger to auto-scale the graph back to a default layout.

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2018, 04:31:01 am »

Yes, I would just add a "home" gesture like a double tap on the graph that resets the frame to a normal view. Then if you get lost on the plot you can just double tap with your finger to auto-scale the graph back to a default layout.

Good idea I will add double tap reset zoom regardless, its a good feature.

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2018, 04:41:06 am »

You should have received an email, I re-sent it. It may have ended up in your spam.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 05:53:04 am by Seppy »

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2018, 07:02:19 am »
Build 1.2 is ready for testing you should be able to download it from the TestFlight app:

Added:
- iOS 10 support (Fingers crossed that it works...).
- Pinch zoom on both axis
- Double tap to reset view zoom
- Save and Reset buttons continue to show in fullscreen
- Removed reset button from math chart (didn't make sense)
- Added reconnect support, if the Bluetooth connection drops out (you turn multimeter off) it should (fingers crossed) re-connect automatically (might take a few seconds)

Known Issues:
- There is a known issue that I created in this build with bluetooth, if it doesn't display anything on the screen simply turn the multimeter off then on again and enable bluetooth.
- A transient issue also exists for internal debugging reasons, you will need to click refresh before any devices appear on the bluetooth list.
Both issues will be removed for 1.3.

Avaliable NOW!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 07:14:38 am by Seppy »

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2018, 08:04:58 am »
OK, confirmed it works on iOS 10.

Pinch zoom is better now, it's more intuitive. It's still difficult sometimes to move a zoomed in section of trend to the middle of the view port. I think this is because the scrolling is bounded by the limits of the zoomed out view, so if part of the trend is near the outside border then further scrolling is blocked in that direction.

I think that on a bigger screen some of the text is quite small and needs a scaled font so it doesn't appear so tiny at higher resolutions. Especially applies to < Settings > < Maths > [ 0 ], but the other blue text could also be larger. (See screenshot attached.)

I still wish for a way to pause and resume data acquisition, and a way to adjust the sample interval.

But overall, looking good. I do like the way you can control the meter from the app.

(By the way, in the attached screenshot, I am not sure what the "686.7 m" is for at the lower left corner of the chart? It is not temperature, and it does not appear to be time either.)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:12:18 am by IanB »

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2018, 08:37:05 am »
A feature suggestion:

When I put the device in landscape orientation I get a full screen meter display. It would be nice to have a full screen graph display also. How about a scroll right gesture to see the graph, and scroll left to see the meter?

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2018, 09:00:44 am »
A feature suggestion:

When I put the device in landscape orientation I get a full screen meter display. It would be nice to have a full screen graph display also. How about a scroll right gesture to see the graph, and scroll left to see the meter?

This is actually a current feature, if you single press on the screen it will open the graph.

Online djadeski

• Supporter
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2018, 11:45:51 am »
Couple of screenshots from temperature capture on iPad 11.4 iOS.

Noticed that the units on the meter not reflected on the iPad - notice degrees F on meter (a bit hard to see) and degrees C on iPad main display.

The units for the internal meter temp change correctly but the external temp display stays as C on iPad no matter what the meter setting.

The tap moves between graph display and number well and pinch to zoom works very well I would say.

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2018, 02:01:41 pm »
Couple of screenshots from temperature capture on iPad 11.4 iOS.

Noticed that the units on the meter not reflected on the iPad - notice degrees F on meter (a bit hard to see) and degrees C on iPad main display.

The units for the internal meter temp change correctly but the external temp display stays as C on iPad no matter what the meter setting.

The tap moves between graph display and number well and pinch to zoom works very well I would say.

Ah thankyou, I forgot about Fahrenheit, will be fixed in Build 1.3

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2018, 02:21:09 pm »
A bug:

The device list display can show Bluetooth devices other than the 121GW, for example other iPhones. If you tap on one of these other devices the app gets confused and locks up.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2018, 02:25:58 pm »
I'm still puzzled about what this number is in the corner of the chart?

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2018, 02:38:17 pm »
I'm still puzzled about what this number is in the corner of the chart?

That number is part of the X axis it is the left extreme of the visible values.
If that is the start of the plot that time represents the time between when mode was selected and when the first value was acquired. I might just zero it to avoid confusion.

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2018, 02:42:41 pm »
A bug:

The device list display can show Bluetooth devices other than the 121GW, for example other iPhones. If you tap on one of these other devices the app gets confused and locks up.

I'll filter the device list for Build 1.3.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2018, 02:49:33 pm »
If that is the start of the plot that time represents the time between when mode was selected and when the first value was acquired. I might just zero it to avoid confusion.

Is it then 686.7 milliseconds? (See the picture attached to Reply #60 for context.)

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2018, 01:35:56 am »

Is it then 686.7 milliseconds? (See the picture attached to Reply #60 for context.)

Yes, 686.7 milliseconds  :)

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2018, 01:41:51 am »

At other times I see time values like 0.307 k, which is a very unusual way to indicate time. I think it would be more friendly to format the time values like 5m07s. And I agree with resetting the left end of the time axis to zero.

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2018, 01:52:36 am »

At other times I see time values like 0.307 k, which is a very unusual way to indicate time. I think it would be more friendly to format the time values like 5m07s. And I agree with resetting the left end of the time axis to zero.

Its just standard SI notation, I like your suggestion though I will make it display minutes and seconds. Although the log will definitely display seconds, it makes graphing easier.

Progress Update:
- Device filter is now added to Build 1.3, tested and shown functional.
- Looks like we need to add some information to the packet for 1.3, this is for C and F in temperature mode. This means 1.3 for temperature range will require a firmware update.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 01:57:41 am by Seppy »

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2018, 02:26:14 am »
Just a pedantic usability thing, but I get confused when I see the "Save" button on a live feed of data. What am I saving? Do you actually mean "record"/"start logging"? It seems like the functionality here is very broadly similar to an audio recording application (only in the sense that new data is rolling in all the time, and the user wants to capture that data of a certain range of time). You never open an audio recording application to find a audio level indicator and just a "save" button. You record some data, and then save it; or possibly start recording to disk.

Whenever you see a "save" button, you already have a pre-existing well-established block of data (a document, a recorded audio segment, a PCB file) that saving simply instantaneously copies to disk/flash. If that's not what the button does, it shouldn't be labelled "Save".

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2018, 02:27:28 am »
Just a pedantic usability thing, but I get confused when I see the "Save" button on a live feed of data. What am I saving? Do you actually mean "record"/"start logging"? It seems like the functionality here is very broadly similar to an audio recording application (only in the sense that new data is rolling in all the time, and the user wants to capture that data of a certain range of time). You never open an audio recording application to find a audio level indicator and just a "save" button. You record some data, and then save it; or possibly start recording to disk.

Whenever you see a "save" button, you already have a pre-existing well-established block of data (a document, a recorded audio segment, a PCB file) that saving simply instantaneously copies to disk/flash. If that's not what the button does, it shouldn't be labelled "Save".

"Save" saves the data shown on the plot, the established data is the plot data.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 02:35:09 am by Seppy »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf