Author Topic: Recommendation on a decent LCR meter?  (Read 16158 times)

Offline Fusion916Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Recommendation on a decent LCR meter?
« on: July 17, 2018, 11:56:00 pm »
Would like to stay less than $200 and interested in pf to uf range for capacitors and nh to mh range for inductors. Don't need it to be ultra accurate or fast. ESR and Q measurements would be good too.

Prefer benchtop but if that too expensive than a portable will do.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Recommendation on a decent LCR meter?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 12:04:07 am »
Do you do SMD too ?
Strongly consider these:
http://www.smarttweezers.com/st5s/

Yeah I know, they're more than you want to spend but good tools cost don't they ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 12:58:37 am »
Have you looked at the DER EE DE-5000?

Granted it's a portable unit, but covers what you've asked for and more (there's even a power adapter for it). There's plenty of information on it here in the forum, and even fully kitted out (test fixtures + wall power adapter + USB dongle & software), you'd come in under budget ($160 shipped, here).

DER EE DE-5000 Manual (English, .pdf). Chapter 3 covers the specifications.

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 01:47:25 am »
The DER EE DE-5000 is very good and reasonably priced!
I made up a set of kelvin leads for it as the short crocodile leads that come with it are too short.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 01:49:11 am by 1anX »

The following users thanked this post: TheNewLab

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 08:28:40 am »
EEVBlog tear down  of the DE-5000

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:31:19 am by 1anX »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 08:38:34 am »
Look on Ebay for the XJW01. Not expensive but surprisingly accurate and versatile.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 10:26:23 am »
I picked up an Agilent U1731B recently on eBay from n2cbu, none left right now but it'd be worth keeping an eye on their sales as it was an absolute bargain at about $50 plus shipping

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 11:59:41 am »
I just picked up a DER EE DE-5000 along with the tweezers, guard wire, power supply and two of the alligator clip modules (one I made into kelvin clips as above).
All up it cost me about $100 off the shelf here in Akihabara.

Seems like a good unit so far.

Still gotta track down a hard case luke in Daves video.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 08:53:29 pm »
I picked up an Agilent U1731B recently on eBay from n2cbu, none left right now but it'd be worth keeping an eye on their sales as it was an absolute bargain at about $50 plus shipping
$50 = You SUCK! :-+

The replacement, U1731C, goes for $330 (seems MSRP & street are the same in this case  ::)).

I just picked up a DER EE DE-5000...[snip]...

Still gotta track down a hard case like in Daves video.
Regarding the case, it was only ever offered by IET (case P/N = DE-5000-CS). Unfortunately, they no longer rebadge the DE-5000 at all, nor are there any accessories available for it (I just checked).

IET's gone back to benchtop LCR meters only.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 01:27:00 am »
I made up a set of kelvin leads for it as the short crocodile leads that come with it are too short.

I also did the same but had an issue with one of the clips.  Open or closed, there was continuity.  Quick and easy to fix, but something to check for.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 07:17:55 am »

I also did the same but had an issue with one of the clips.  Open or closed, there was continuity.  Quick and easy to fix, but something to check for.

Yep, me too the leads are good, but the connection at one of the clips had the, guard/shield of the coax making contact with the jaw. Instead of being trimmed off cleanly at the insulation the foil and fine wire were left far too long. Easy fix but means you need to replace the heat shrink that you must cut off from the clip.

I ended getting some high quality clips like these > https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2Pcs-Copper-Gwinstek-LCR-Kelvin-Test-Clip-Bridge-Test-Clip-Microresistivity-Clip/263631168351?hash=item3d61a4635f%3Ag%3AJMUAAOSwrsha3sjM&_nkw=kelvin+test+clip&rt=nc

If you look around you can find them cheaper than in the link above!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 07:22:35 am by 1anX »

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 07:39:10 am »

The replacement, U1731C, goes for $330 (seems MSRP & street are the same in this case  ::)).
It was too good to miss, I've used it in anger precisely once but it's in almost factory condition, the only problem is that it's missing the tilt stand on the back and although Agilent sell them for a reasonable price they want a ridiculous amount of money to meet minimum order fees, shipping etc. so I am keeping an eye out for someone who can tag one onto a larger Agilent order.

Offline LeonR

• Regular Contributor
  • PC hardware enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 12:30:38 pm »
Sorry for jumping in, but can the 5000 measure in-circuit? Hkw dows it fare in comparison to the MESR-100? (I mean, am I getting more bang for my buck considering that I'm going to use it for checking lytics, polys and ceramic caps)?

Offline elecman14

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 01:22:48 pm »

It was too good to miss, I've used it in anger precisely once but it's in almost factory condition, the only problem is that it's missing the tilt stand on the back and although Agilent sell them for a reasonable price they want a ridiculous amount of money to meet minimum order fees, shipping etc. so I am keeping an eye out for someone who can tag one onto a larger Agilent order.

Looks like more came into stock $59 USD this time.....  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Agilent-U1731B-Handheld-LCR-Meter-Used-very-clean-tested-in-spec/142873856882?hash=item2143f20b72:g:srUAAOSwH3RbT-JU

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 03:05:28 pm »
Sorry for jumping in, but can the 5000 measure in-circuit? Hkw dows it fare in comparison to the MESR-100? (I mean, am I getting more bang for my buck considering that I'm going to use it for checking lytics, polys and ceramic caps)?
Yes it can do measurements in-circuit.

But you do need to be aware that the DE-5000 does not discharge capacitors, so you'll have to do that manually prior to testing any capacitor (in-circuit or not). You'll blow the meter's IC if you don't (no protections, which allows for greater measurement accuracy).

The DE-5000 can test a lot more parameters as the MESR100 is just an ESR meter. It comes down to what you're after.

Looks like more came into stock $59 USD this time.....  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Agilent-U1731B-Handheld-LCR-Meter-Used-very-clean-tested-in-spec/142873856882?hash=item2143f20b72:g:srUAAOSwH3RbT-JU
And they're selling fast.

The following users thanked this post: LeonR

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 06:59:32 pm »

Well I can vouch for the fact that mines is in almost factory new condition, I'm extremely happy with it and it made it across the Atlantic far faster than I expected.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2018, 07:19:32 pm »
Well I can vouch for the fact that mines is in almost factory new condition, I'm extremely happy with it and it made it across the Atlantic far faster than I expected.
I don't like that the seller removes the serial numbers of the devices. That has led to unwelcome surprises, though it was adequately addressed by the seller. The communication was all you could wish for.

I might order some stuff at Keysight soonish. I don't mind ordering a stand at cost plus shipping if I do.

The following users thanked this post: CJay

Offline LeonR

• Regular Contributor
  • PC hardware enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2018, 08:11:43 pm »

But you do need to be aware that the DE-5000 does not discharge capacitors, so you'll have to do that manually prior to testing any capacitor (in-circuit or not). You'll blow the meter's IC if you don't (no protections, which allows for greater measurement accuracy).

The DE-5000 can test a lot more parameters as the MESR100 is just an ESR meter. It comes down to what you're after.

Just basic (?) cap testing on PC stuff: motherboards, GPUs, etc. I read somewhere that some caps are meant to be tested at different frequencies for correct reading, so I assumed I could get more readings from the 5000 since it isn't fixed like the MESR-100. Does it makes any sense or I can stick with the MESR? There's a 3x price difference between the two.

As for the discharging I'm aware of it, but thanks for the reminder.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 08:27:58 pm »

Just basic (?) cap testing on PC stuff: motherboards, GPUs, etc. I read somewhere that some caps are meant to be tested at different frequencies for correct reading, so I assumed I could get more readings from the 5000 since it isn't fixed like the MESR-100. Does it makes any sense or I can stick with the MESR? There's a 3x price difference between the two.

As for the discharging I'm aware of it, but thanks for the reminder.

FYI, if parts are in parallel (such as a bank of filter capacitors on a motherboard). You CANNOT test them in-circuit at all, as the result you get will be the combination of all of the parts in parallel. For example, ESR would be like measuring parallel resistors.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

The following users thanked this post: LeonR

Offline bugi

• Regular Contributor
  • Hobbyist using the ultra slow and unsure method
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2018, 10:00:01 pm »
DE-5000's measurement voltage is (or can be, seems to depend a bit on the measurement/components) high enough to trip semiconductors, so, in-circuit measurement could be tricky that way, too.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2018, 10:54:23 pm »
Another +1 for the DEE-5000!
I've had mine a few months now and for hobby stuff it's awesome!
Sure if you have a £2000 LCR meter this 1 will be "crap" but for around the £100 mark you'll struggle to find a better all rounder. The fact a lot of the guys here recommend it says enough for me too. If it was junk it would have been found out long ago.

I would recommend the DEE-5000 to any hobbyist.
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2018, 11:19:49 pm »
Another +1 for the DEE-5000!
I've had mine a few months now and for hobby stuff it's awesome!
Sure if you have a £2000 LCR meter this 1 will be "crap" but for around the £100 mark you'll struggle to find a better all rounder. The fact a lot of the guys here recommend it says enough for me too. If it was junk it would have been found out long ago.

I would recommend the DEE-5000 to any hobbyist.
I think the DE-5000 compares quite well to a $500 Keysight meter. That's more than "good for hobbyists", that's a proper tool.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 12:40:21 am by Mr. Scram »

Offline usagi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2018, 12:27:02 am »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf