Author Topic: Recommendation on a decent LCR meter?  (Read 16033 times)

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Re: Recommendation on a decent LCR meter?
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2018, 06:19:29 am »
Sorry for jumping in, but can the 5000 measure in-circuit? Hkw dows it fare in comparison to the MESR-100? (I mean, am I getting more bang for my buck considering that I'm going to use it for checking lytics, polys and ceramic caps)?
Yes it can do measurements in-circuit.

But you do need to be aware that the DE-5000 does not discharge capacitors, so you'll have to do that manually prior to testing any capacitor (in-circuit or not). You'll blow the meter's IC if you don't (no protections, which allows for greater measurement accuracy).

The DE-5000 can test a lot more parameters as the MESR100 is just an ESR meter. It comes down to what you're after.
Just basic (?) cap testing on PC stuff: motherboards, GPUs, etc. I read somewhere that some caps are meant to be tested at different frequencies for correct reading, so I assumed I could get more readings from the 5000 since it isn't fixed like the MESR-100. Does it makes any sense or I can stick with the MESR? There's a 3x price difference between the two.

As for the discharging I'm aware of it, but thanks for the reminder.
The DE-5000 is capable of multiple frequencies (100Hz, 120Hz, 1KHz, 10KHz, and 100KHz). As per what frequency you'd want to test at, that will depend on the circuit.

For example, if you're doing a linear supply, you'd need to test at 2x the mains frequency (100Hz for those that live in 230V mains territory, while it'd be 120Hz here in the US/CAN). The closer you can get to the cap's operating frequency, the accuracy of your measured values increases.

In terms of price, I'm only seeing 2x for the DER EE DE-5000 v. the MESR-100. Of course, my searches tend to present US locations & pricing, so YMMV depending on your location.

FWIW, if you go into your user profile, you can set your country, which will then display your nation's flag beneath your userID. Makes it much easier for other members to post relative links for you in terms of pricing and availability.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: LeonR

Offline bugi

• Regular Contributor
  • Hobbyist using the ultra slow and unsure method
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2018, 06:21:38 am »
Hey guys...

So, you think this is a counterfeit? doesn't have the optical cable, but damn is it a good price...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DER-EE-DE-5000-High-Accuracy-Handheld-LCR-Meter-w-TL-21-TL-22-TL-23/123240626980?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D52935%26meid%3D46420ded040d4aedba68c294a4831566%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D161965781576%26itm%3D123240626980&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
Read carefully: ".... TL-21 for DE-5000 ...."
It is only the alligator clip adapter.
Lazy seller though; most sellers tend to describe it better in the longer description, whereas this seller has only slapped a "one text fits all" blurb about shipping and payments.

The same careful reading is needed to differentiate between all the tens of bundle variants (which particular adapters etc. come with the meter), often the difference is only with the number of TL-xx entries in the item title.

(Also, pay attention to item location being claimed to be in japan, yet shipping from china/hong kong/taiwan. There are sellers that really do ship it from Japan, and comes in just few days after shipped.)

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2018, 12:17:53 pm »
Yup I agree! Read the advert over and when you think you understand it 100%, read it again!  :o

Mine came from Japan and the seller's communication was great. I never had to ask once what was happening, he messaged me at every turn then passed on the shipping details and told me to let him know when I received the meter of if any problems occurred. The only thing that cropped up was a £25 I think it was customs charge! Weasels!
Everything went 100% smooth!
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline youthsonic

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2018, 04:58:17 pm »
eBay must have done something weird for you, because what you mentioned didn't match the auction that I posted.
The auction states that it includes the following:

DESCRIPTION

This set includes
DE-5000 itself×1
TL-21 Alligator Test Lead Case×1
TL-22 SMD tweezers×1
TL-23

And the title is: "DER EE DE-5000 High Accuracy Handheld LCR Meter w/ TL-21 TL-22 TL-23"

Still, says seller is away, so I wouldn't grab it anyway. Plus I don't want to wait that long to get it

Hey guys...

So, you think this is a counterfeit? doesn't have the optical cable, but damn is it a good price...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DER-EE-DE-5000-High-Accuracy-Handheld-LCR-Meter-w-TL-21-TL-22-TL-23/123240626980?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D52935%26meid%3D46420ded040d4aedba68c294a4831566%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D161965781576%26itm%3D123240626980&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
Read carefully: ".... TL-21 for DE-5000 ...."
It is only the alligator clip adapter.
Lazy seller though; most sellers tend to describe it better in the longer description, whereas this seller has only slapped a "one text fits all" blurb about shipping and payments.

The same careful reading is needed to differentiate between all the tens of bundle variants (which particular adapters etc. come with the meter), often the difference is only with the number of TL-xx entries in the item title.

(Also, pay attention to item location being claimed to be in japan, yet shipping from china/hong kong/taiwan. There are sellers that really do ship it from Japan, and comes in just few days after shipped.)

Offline bugi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2018, 06:35:26 pm »
eBay must have done something weird for you, because what you mentioned didn't match the auction that I posted.
The auction states that it includes the following:
I guess I should have read more carefully:
"The listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you."

That is, it was the stupid direct item auto-suggestion by ebay :P  Ebay should have just given an auto-search with multiple results; much more likely to give something that matches within one page.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2018, 07:15:42 pm »
Have you ordered 1 yet? If not I can give you the details of the guy I got mine from and I can vouch he is 100% good.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2018, 07:24:15 pm »
I ended getting some high quality clips like these > https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2Pcs-Copper-Gwinstek-LCR-Kelvin-Test-Clip-Bridge-Test-Clip-Microresistivity-Clip/263631168351?hash=item3d61a4635f%3Ag%3AJMUAAOSwrsha3sjM&_nkw=kelvin+test+clip&rt=nc

If you look around you can find them cheaper than in the link above!

I got the same to make a set of kelvin clips for my GW-Instek 8251A.  I have the silicone wire and used banana plugs from Frankie's website.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline LeonR

• Regular Contributor
  • PC hardware enthusiast
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2018, 10:35:07 pm »
Sorry for jumping in, but can the 5000 measure in-circuit? Hkw dows it fare in comparison to the MESR-100? (I mean, am I getting more bang for my buck considering that I'm going to use it for checking lytics, polys and ceramic caps)?
Yes it can do measurements in-circuit.

But you do need to be aware that the DE-5000 does not discharge capacitors, so you'll have to do that manually prior to testing any capacitor (in-circuit or not). You'll blow the meter's IC if you don't (no protections, which allows for greater measurement accuracy).

The DE-5000 can test a lot more parameters as the MESR100 is just an ESR meter. It comes down to what you're after.
Just basic (?) cap testing on PC stuff: motherboards, GPUs, etc. I read somewhere that some caps are meant to be tested at different frequencies for correct reading, so I assumed I could get more readings from the 5000 since it isn't fixed like the MESR-100. Does it makes any sense or I can stick with the MESR? There's a 3x price difference between the two.

As for the discharging I'm aware of it, but thanks for the reminder.
The DE-5000 is capable of multiple frequencies (100Hz, 120Hz, 1KHz, 10KHz, and 100KHz). As per what frequency you'd want to test at, that will depend on the circuit.

For example, if you're doing a linear supply, you'd need to test at 2x the mains frequency (100Hz for those that live in 230V mains territory, while it'd be 120Hz here in the US/CAN). The closer you can get to the cap's operating frequency, the accuracy of your measured values increases.

In terms of price, I'm only seeing 2x for the DER EE DE-5000 v. the MESR-100. Of course, my searches tend to present US locations & pricing, so YMMV depending on your location.

FWIW, if you go into your user profile, you can set your country, which will then display your nation's flag beneath your userID. Makes it much easier for other members to post relative links for you in terms of pricing and availability.  :-+

I thought I've already set that since it appears for me... Double-checked just in case and it is there.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2018, 12:39:19 am »
FWIW, it ^ could still be useful for others.

Offline youthsonic

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2018, 03:30:13 pm »
So...
Debating on picking up the DE-5000. A bit pricy for me, as I just repair stuff for fun, and very little profit.
I currently own a few of the cheap transistor testers that do ESR - are these accurate enough for troubleshooting, or is it really worth the investment in a "real" ERS meter like the DE-5000?

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2018, 04:24:40 pm »
So...
Debating on picking up the DE-5000. A bit pricy for me, as I just repair stuff for fun, and very little profit.
I currently own a few of the cheap transistor testers that do ESR - are these accurate enough for troubleshooting, or is it really worth the investment in a "real" ERS meter like the DE-5000?
It's an LCR meter (inductance, capacitance, resistance tester). ESR is just one of the measurements it's capable of. So if you find yourself needing more than ESR, then you'd need to be looking at this or a similar instrument.

If not, it would be a waste of funds you could put to other use elsewhere. Components for example (i.e. smoke 'em if ya got 'em  >:D).

Offline youthsonic

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2018, 04:54:05 pm »
So...
It's an LCR meter (inductance, capacitance, resistance tester). ESR is just one of the measurements it's capable of. So if you find yourself needing more than ESR, then you'd need to be looking at this or a similar instrument.

If not, it would be a waste of funds you could put to other use elsewhere. Components for example (i.e. smoke 'em if ya got 'em  >:D).

So, I also have an Fluke 87-V that does some of that...

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2018, 05:12:47 pm »
So, I also have an Fluke 87-V that does some of that...
Sort of. The 87V can measure capacitance and resistance values (within it's specs), but that's it. An LCR meter has a wider range for such measurements.

But it can do additional measurements such as Ls, Lp, Cs, Cp, Rs, Rp, and DCR with D, Q, Theta, and ESR measurement (s = series, p = parallel). Traditional DMM's can't do this. It's like a hammer vs. a screwdriver; just totally different tools.

Offline kerrsmith

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2018, 05:54:54 pm »
Just for the interest of people who want a really cheap LC meter I have the following one which you buy as a kit from Banggood:

DIY-M8-LC-Digital-Inductance-Capacitance-Meter-Kit

I have found this to be really useful - I make lots of radio circuits and wind lots of my own coils on ferrite cores so I wanted something to test them on so I know I have them roughly right. This version has a range of 0.1μH - 2H, 1pF - 2.5μF and 0.1μF - 30000μF (in three ranges), I obviously have no way to accurately test the meter (or I would not need it) but from winding many toroids I have found it always shows a very close match to the inductance I am aiming for when putting a certain number of turns on a certain core.

I have tested it with a range of purchased inductors and capacitors and it always returns about the correct value given the tolerance of the part, so for me this is perfect. Once you have the values roughly right you are in a good position to start tweaking them to get the circuit working really well.

Just thought I would post this option up in case anyone else wants a reasonably accurate LC meter at a really low price - you do have to solder it yourself but this kind of adds to the enjoyment of using it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 06:16:28 pm by kerrsmith »

Offline mark03

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2018, 09:26:26 pm »
Have you ordered 1 yet? If not I can give you the details of the guy I got mine from and I can vouch he is 100% good.

I'd be interested.  I already placed an order on the listing mentioned above, but at $46 (and some other telltale signs), the odds are good that it's a scam.

Offline youthsonic

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2018, 11:18:23 pm »

I'd be interested.  I already placed an order on the listing mentioned above, but at $46 (and some other telltale signs), the odds are good that it's a scam.

I would be, too. Thanks!

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2018, 07:29:38 am »
Hmmm, seems they guy I bought mine from has more or less shut his shop up  ???

He had 1000's of items for sale when I bought my unit from him and now he only has 7 things for sale!

Very strange indeed. I suppose you could message him, his English is good and like I said before he was spot on to deal with. I will message him for you to see if he is still able to supply the meters if you want? Or someone else may have a more recent recommendation to share   ???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/eina-japan?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754     is his link.

Offline bugi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2018, 09:05:18 am »
I also bought mine from that eina japan, but from the .com-side. Took the full 5 working days to send it, but after that came in just few days.

Seems to be still available there (not many in stock, though):
(Almost) full set: https://www.ebay.com/itm/282040803373
Just the meter: https://www.ebay.com/itm/273168946807
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 09:13:48 am by bugi »

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2018, 10:08:49 am »
I also bought mine from that eina japan, but from the .com-side. Took the full 5 working days to send it, but after that came in just few days.

Seems to be still available there (not many in stock, though):
(Almost) full set: https://www.ebay.com/itm/282040803373
Just the meter: https://www.ebay.com/itm/273168946807

Ah, yes I see now. He doesn't ship to the UK no more.  ???
Must've been too much of a pain in the arse for him. It cost me another 20 sheets on top at the Post Office too for some customs con or whatever shite they vomit up that day and call it a new tax,,,,  when the meter arrived in the UK.

The UK gov rips the arse out of stinging you at every turn then hands out £20 mills here and another £10 bills there,,,, fuck it you have £40 as well you look skint,,,in fact you got a brother or any1 who's skint,,,or even a distant aunts half cousin will do.....
Does my blinking head in so it does!!

GGRRRR!!!

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2018, 04:54:36 am »
Maybe someone who lives in Japan should organise a group buy..... hmmm.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline TheNewLab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2018, 06:45:25 am »
All the above are good choices. The DER has a number of YTs on modifying the unit with better cables, plus several other features.
I got the Uni-T LCR unit (red, it is my aesthetic OCD) works as well as the DER. IMHO $200 is more than enough for a good handheld.. a desktop may be more, but why? handheld listed above are already so accurate and feature laden.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2018, 09:10:30 am »
.. a desktop may be more, but why?

Not an exhaustive list :

- Upper limit at Farads (> 1.000.000 uF)
- Frequency sweep
- DC bias
- etc

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf