Author Topic: Replacement Fluke leads.  (Read 4239 times)

Offline SpecmasterTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Replacement Fluke leads.
« on: August 12, 2017, 03:27:52 pm »
If anyone is looking for replacement leads for their fluke or similar meter then the following item from Banggood and also from Aliexpress as well might well be of interest. They come with replaceable tips, normal 2mm and 0.3mm sharp tips for poking cable insulation and other ultra fine work, such as probing into test sockets etc. Heads may be replaced with different types croc clips etc. which are also available from both sources, very versatile and ideal for electronic use.

https://www.banggood.com/P1300A-10-in-1-Super-Multimeter-Probe-Replaceable-Probe-Clamp-Multi-Meter-Test-Lead-kits-p-1136463.html?rmmds=search

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: Replacement Fluke leads.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 10:14:46 pm »
Do you have a set or did you just find them prowling the interwebs.  It looks like the various tips plug into the handles instead of screwing in.  That be the case, not sure how good a press fit will hold up over multiple changes of the tips.  Of course, I could be wrong on the press fit, blind in one eye and can't see out of the other ;D
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 02:04:29 am »
I actually have a couple of sets of these leads and the tips are screw in and can tightened with a pair of pliers.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bjcuizon

• Frequent Contributor
  • RF and Analog Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 03:53:41 am »
Are the "TL71s" on aliexpress the genuine fluke ones??
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:46:43 am by bjcuizon »
Don't mess with an Electronics Engineer, it Megahertz!

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 04:27:20 am »
Nice! A few questions:
- Are those heat resistant silicone cables or PVC?
- Rated current?
- Did you measured the resistance of the wires, or AWG, please?

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 05:57:53 am »
Majority of my test leads are branded Pomona. They are the same test leads provided by Fluke except with Pomona branding.

http://www.pomonaelectronics.com/

Offline bjcuizon

• Frequent Contributor
  • RF and Analog Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 06:07:03 am »
Majority of my test leads are branded Pomona. They are the same test leads provided by Fluke except with Pomona branding.

http://www.pomonaelectronics.com/
Yeah, I believe pomona is a subsidiary of fluke now...go figure!  ;)
Don't mess with an Electronics Engineer, it Megahertz!

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 08:58:55 am »
Are the "TLl71s" on aliexpress the genuine fluke ones??
I do not know.
If you want TLI71 try this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252361778216
They are reported as ok here
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/quality-test-probes/msg1266531/#msg1266531
Hope that helps

The following users thanked this post: bjcuizon

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 09:15:42 am »
Are the "TLl71s" on aliexpress the genuine fluke ones??
No they're not.

If you want TLI71 try this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252361778216
They are reported as ok here

I've got a set of genuine Fluke leads and those^ seem just as good in terms of feel and measured resistance. I bought twice.

(ObDisclaimer: I don't intend to poke them into substations)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 10:56:06 am by Fungus »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 09:47:01 am »
To answer some of the questions raised on here overnight,
Are they genuine Fluke leads...NO,
Leads Silicon ... Supposed to be but there are no standards printed on the cable, but feels like Silicon to me and are lovely and soft, very flexible in use.
Current rating is not shown anywhere but I'd happily use them for 10A but not continuously. The cables are certainly thicker then others that I have that have 20A moulded on the probes, but how much of that is conductor or insulation I don't know.
Are the probes silicon covered ..I don't thinks so they do feel really tough and comfortable in the hand.
The only writing on the probes and the plugs is CAT III 1000V CE and the warning triangle.
The replacement / interchangeable tips are push in and screwed in to form a good robust connection.
The plugs when plugged in feel like they are making good contact and are firm to push in so will not drop out in use, unlike some I have had in the past on some very expensive meters.

Never having owned or used a Fluke meter I therefore have no idea as to what their leads look like nor feel like in use etc but I have used many many meters in my time and some real shitty leads with some of them as well, so compared with those mixed assortment of leads and I include the leads for Avo Mk8 meters among them, I'd be happy to use these in places where I'd think twice about using the AVO's leads because to my mind their push in probes are not the best around and so do not inspire me with confidence.

I really think that the vast majority of you would be happy to use these leads as replacements and it's my belief that if someone has the equipment to test these for insulation resistance etc that they would certainly pass the 1000V rating, cannot say the same about current as they quote nothing on them about the current rating. I have suggested to Mark Hennessy in another post on Golborne Vintage Radio that I would expect them to pass the 1000V test so may be he will try them out, who knows.

I have nothing what so ever to do with these leads or Aliexpress or Banggood, I am just posting about them as I have been less then impressed with the leads supplied with budget DMM these days so I wanted something better and went in search for them.

Who let Murphy in?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 09:53:56 pm »
Update on this thread.

I have now got myself 2 x Fluke 25's and 2 x Fluke 27's and a set of genuine Fluke leads and I have to say that yes they are very flexible and are longer then most of the replacement lead sets I have seen on sale and indeed have and I would still stand by my original posting that the leads from AliExpress are as good. The cables are a size up in O/D and are just flexible despite being larger in dia. The plugs are even snugger in fit to the meter so a little more effort is required to plug them in and the probes are hard plastic and are the same length as the Flukes but with the lead plugging into the handle, in order that the probes could be replaced with grabbers or croc clips, the overall length of the completed probe before you get the flexible cable is longer, by approx 30mm.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 12:28:08 am »
My next lead purchase is to try a pair of Probemaster 8000 series probes.  They have the gold plating, are a little bit cheaper than Frankie's Brymen leads and will probably arrive faster.  I have 3 meters that can't use shielded banana plugs so these could be an option as I can choose shielded or non shielded plugs.  http://probemaster.com/8000-series-test-leads-only/
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
Replacement Fluke leads.
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 12:41:49 am »
One thing I’d recommend trying is their spring cluster tip. It’s fantastic for staying exactly where you poke it on tiny objects such as one end of of a 0402 passive or a SOIC leg. I find with sharp probes on those types you really have to stab it to get them to stay reliably fixed in place.  The cluster tips are much less likely to slip off and blow things up. They are too delicate for electrical and appliance work, but for fine electronics, they are great.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 12:44:33 am by Dubbie »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 01:44:30 am »
One thing I’d recommend trying is their spring cluster tip. It’s fantastic for staying exactly where you poke it on tiny objects such as one end of of a 0402 passive or a SOIC leg. I find with sharp probes on those types you really have to stab it to get them to stay reliably fixed in place.  The cluster tips are much less likely to slip off and blow things up. They are too delicate for electrical and appliance work, but for fine electronics, they are great.
This one ?

http://probemaster.com/spring-loaded-micro-tip-test-lead-kit/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 01:45:23 am »
Thats the one.

It's much smaller in person  :D

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 03:50:41 am »
Agree completely with the spring loaded cluster tip. I keep them as the default on my ProbeMaster micro tip leads and only switch when necessary (which is surprisingly rarely).

Offline HalFET

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 08:17:58 am »
The eBay Fluke probes I got seemed genuine at first (and met the electrical specs when tested). But the leads were a lot less flexible than those of the pair I bought through a Fluke distributor, so I suspect there are some high quality knock-offs around. So be careful, I'd stick to the confirmed genuine ones for >200V probing needs  :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 08:43:08 am »
The eBay Fluke probes I got seemed genuine at first (and met the electrical specs when tested). But the leads were a lot less flexible than those of the pair I bought through a Fluke distributor, so I suspect there are some high quality knock-offs around. So be careful, I'd stick to the confirmed genuine ones for >200V probing needs  :)
I'm very confident that the leads I have are genuine Fluke leads that were supplied as standard with the 25 and 27 meters. They are extremely flexible, as are the ones I got from Aliex but those ones did have thicker leads.
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf