Author Topic: REVIEW - Owon SDS7102 - A look at the SDS series from Owon  (Read 1312649 times)

Offline EU1

• Regular Contributor
Re: REVIEW - Owon SDS7102 - A look at the SDS series from Owon
« Reply #2725 on: February 23, 2017, 10:22:14 pm »
Either way after a few hours with wireshark I have extracted most of the commands and have written a very basic proof of concept program to allow Linux (or any os that supports libusb1.0) to send and control the oscilloscope using a (very) basic command prompt interface.
There's a specification for PC communication protocol: http://owon.fj0596.com/software/Application/SDS_Series_Oscilloscopes_SCPI_Protocol.pdf
http://www.owon.com.hk/service_down.asp?seek=SDS
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 10:24:43 pm by EU1 »

Offline Throatsleep

USB Stick and the - Owon SDS7102 - A look at the SDS series from Owon
« Reply #2726 on: February 10, 2018, 01:52:10 am »
I hope someone can help. I cannot get an image to a USB stick. it creates the file, but the file is blank and has no saved image. Is there something I am missing?

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
Re: USB Stick and the - Owon SDS7102 - A look at the SDS series from Owon
« Reply #2727 on: April 05, 2018, 05:10:59 am »
I hope someone can help. I cannot get an image to a USB stick. it creates the file, but the file is blank and has no saved image. Is there something I am missing?

It could be that the USB drive is not formatted to FAT32 with allocation size of 4K or less.

Offline ckocagil

• Contributor
« Reply #2728 on: April 09, 2018, 04:08:18 pm »
Does anyone know where to find the latest firmware for the E-series model of this scope, "SDS7102E"? All the firmware I find on various OWON websites specifically say that they're for the non-E models. My Google-fu is failing me.

I also wonder if it's possible to hack the firmware to enable the deep memory option. My version officially has up to 100K memory, but the memory chip attached to the FPGA is exactly the same chip as the regular version.

Offline Daruosha

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2729 on: April 09, 2018, 07:09:35 pm »
No public firmware has been released for the -E version. You're stock with the factory installed version. I had one of those 7102-E models and it just crapped itself after a month of use. No support, no firmware update (or even the same firmware which was installed on the scope). Had to sell it to the same shop i bought the scope from at the 1/3 of the price. Yeah....

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2730 on: February 01, 2020, 08:33:55 pm »
Hi! Someone know what smps in the scope run at 60khz? I've got some spikes in the mv region and i want to try to find the source. Thanks!

Offline hesam.moshiri

• Regular Contributor
    • MyVanitar
« Reply #2731 on: February 02, 2020, 09:17:06 am »
Hi! Someone know what smps in the scope run at 60khz? I've got some spikes in the mv region and i want to try to find the source. Thanks!

Are you sure these spikes are from the internal source? Please put a picture

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2732 on: February 02, 2020, 10:25:28 am »
Quite sure, i have shut down every smps/flurescent/led lamp around here. Attach the photo of the usual test of the probe to the gnd test point.
Time ago wasn't present this ~50mvpp spike, only the ~20mv background noise.
Suspect some electrolytic capacitor that's going.
I've found on this thread that the -7.9v smps works at nearly 60khz, i think that can be the source.

I have already to dismantle the unit for the nasty rotary knobs... time to do some work...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 11:04:33 am by masterx81 »

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #2733 on: February 02, 2020, 11:30:53 am »
I had the same issue ages ago. In the end I just ripped out the S/Mode, made up my own, and even added a Li pack. Got rid of the 240V IP and made it universal DC
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2734 on: February 02, 2020, 12:21:49 pm »
  Wow a lot of work  :phew:
Did you have some photos or schematics?
You have done it linear?
Thanks!

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #2735 on: February 02, 2020, 12:38:47 pm »
Na, it's a pretty simple circuit board to replace and as I needed it for mainly heavy vehicle electronics - 12-48VDC, it was a perfect solution.
I'd have to dig up old PCB circuits I made (could be a few days), but I used very low noise DC-DC converter, complete modules, so I knew the noise figures were the best I could get (Vicor I think, but I can check).
I had that same noise you posted, and for the very high sensitivity signal tracing (underground sensors), it was a disaster. All quite forward.

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2736 on: February 02, 2020, 01:57:27 pm »
 :clap: thanks for the suggestion! I'll check those vicor modules.
The modules worked from 230v to the voltages needed for the scope, or you lowered them with a conventional transformer+diodes?
This scope had been always a bit noisy (i received it with 200mv pp spikes, after a first dismantling and a good clean lowered them to 20mvpp), and as if i need to dismatle it, it'w worth to made it a bit better.

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2737 on: February 02, 2020, 09:10:59 pm »
I checked vicor modules and... wow how much they costs  :wtf:
For the same ammount i can buy a new scope  :-DD
In any case i try to follow you suggestion and find suitable low emi modules (a bit cheaper  :phew:)

Mean well encapsulated units seem interesting
I need to open the scope and check how much space there is inside..
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 09:31:44 pm by masterx81 »

Offline hesam.moshiri

• Regular Contributor
    • MyVanitar
« Reply #2738 on: February 02, 2020, 09:39:59 pm »
Where did you connect the probe? it seems to me this noise gets absorbed by the probe's ground lead, but if you see this noise without a connected probe, that's different

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2739 on: February 03, 2020, 12:10:23 am »
Noise measured on the gnd of the probe calibration point (as common on this device. Internally the scope generates a lot of emi.

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #2740 on: February 03, 2020, 11:05:59 am »
Quote from: masterx81
I checked vicor modules and... wow how much they costs  :wtf:
For the same ammount i can buy a new scope  :-DD
In any case i try to follow you suggestion and find suitable low emi modules (a bit cheaper  :phew:)
Mean well encapsulated units seem interesting
I need to open the scope and check how much space there is inside..
LOL. You don't need to use that specific brand / type. It was just one I use, of of many. New converters these days are pretty damn quiet (noise wise), and getting extremely efficient (if needed). My current favourite is T31SN24005,  but there are so many others, for whatever price range you want.
If you need them even quieter, then just add LC filters / common mode filters / magnetics etc and you can even go linear. It worked perfectly for me, as I was in the same situation.

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2741 on: February 03, 2020, 11:40:12 am »
Seem that i can't find that module over here in italy, i'll search something similar. You have replaced only the main psu or also some smps modules on the adapter board?
Thanks!

Offline hesam.moshiri

• Regular Contributor
    • MyVanitar
« Reply #2742 on: February 03, 2020, 03:07:21 pm »
Seem that i can't find that module over here in italy, i'll search something similar. You have replaced only the main psu or also some smps modules on the adapter board?
Thanks!

What is your oscilloscope full model?

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2743 on: February 03, 2020, 04:42:59 pm »
Mine is a 13xx s/n. It's already the "low noise version". But the 60khz noise developed recently. Before was only around 20mv, now 50/60.
Need to to choose from full linear (i not think to have enough space for diassipator), linear then smps (if i can fit a good toroid inside), or full smps  (with low noise modules)

Offline hesam.moshiri

• Regular Contributor
    • MyVanitar
« Reply #2744 on: February 03, 2020, 09:49:42 pm »
Mine is a 13xx s/n. It's already the "low noise version". But the 60khz noise developed recently. Before was only around 20mv, now 50/60.
Need to to choose from full linear (i not think to have enough space for diassipator), linear then smps (if i can fit a good toroid inside), or full smps  (with low noise modules)

Please put some images from the power supply unit. it might be some bulgy electrolytic caps there. if it was not noisy from the beginning, then it might be damaged. be sure to remove the on/off switch cap first and press it down before opening the case. once I broke the switch handle while I was opening the case, then I had to replace it.

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #2745 on: February 03, 2020, 10:53:28 pm »
Quote from: masterx81
Thanks!
It is also second sourced as I3A4W005A-150V, but it is just a suggestion. What I was trying to say though is -
As the DSO is a portable, I did NOT want any 120-240V IEC / mains in it AT ALL, so ripped all that out. I made a replacement plate with DC sockets and pluggable sockets, and now can power it / charge up the batteries from ANY 12V - 19V common power pack (ie from any PC), and in my case from ANY vehicle 12-48VDC (and now also PoE supplies). It is completely isolated from all mains.

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2746 on: February 04, 2020, 12:30:35 am »
Thanks digsys, perfectly understood. Based on how much space i have inside i take my decisions.

hesam.moshiri, for sure it's an electrolytic cap that it's going, maybe replacing it i can remove the 50mv spike, but as i already take it apart, i'll try to made it a bit better.

Thanks!

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2747 on: April 09, 2020, 12:28:44 am »
Someone can explain me how is possible that my device today had not ANY noise and was able to trigger well also a 20mv signal, while few weeks ago the background noise was more than 100mv?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2748 on: April 09, 2020, 02:08:20 am »
Someone can explain me how is possible that my device today had not ANY noise and was able to trigger well also a 20mv signal, while few weeks ago the background noise was more than 100mv?
Nearby SMPS ON ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #2749 on: April 09, 2020, 03:07:55 am »
Well, here's where you'll have to do some CSI detective work :-)
Was it plugged in and ON / charging / OFF ?
Was the battery full / mid / low ?
Was the device under test generating noise and being picked up from the test leads ?
What other S/S devices were on in the near vicinity ? Phase ? Have you gone from heating / cooling ? - usually a high draw.
There's NO reason to suspect, at this point, that the 2 instances of noise are related. Up to you to prove either way.

Good luck Columbo :-)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf