Author Topic: REVIEW - Owon SDS7102 - A look at the SDS series from Owon  (Read 1320585 times)

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
Re: Review of Owon SDS7102
« Reply #350 on: October 28, 2011, 05:33:22 pm »
Some table about SDS8101 and SDS8202

It can use also for SDS7102 if change there green 2Gs to 1Gs   and green 1Gs in 2 channel mode to 500MS/s

I hope there are not so many errors. Some abreviations are also bad but I hope it can understand.

In slow speed modes capturing lenght is always 20div. (so you can calculate samplerate)
Scan mode maximum is 2ksample/s.
Memory selection with Scan mode do not select memory. It select 50s/div if 1k memory selected and if other memory depth selected it selects 200 sample for div.

Slow speed normal and single shot mode works normally with samplerate and memory depth.

I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #351 on: November 09, 2011, 11:07:01 pm »
SDS7102 TFT display.
Some times have heard that Owon display should be more bright.

As described before Owon use Chimei-Innolux (aka Innolux) AT080TN52 TFT module.
(same series and quality as Hantek/Tekway)
Contrast ratio min 400 typical 500. (black-white with nominal bacround light )
Luminance min 200 typical 250 cd/m2

These are true if used 180mA bacround light LED's current.
With this current voltage is  min 9.3V and typical 9.9V and max 10.5V

Just in new versions Owon seems change this and this is only for littlebit older units.
(example this (very)old version what was as this thread have started)

In some unit I have measured as low as 8.78V if brightness adjust is 100%.

This meand tahat they clearly underdrive these bacround light LED's.
Reason is unknown but, this is quess, maybe they have think battery life.
Battery nominal capacity is ~60Wh. And what here can save is not very meaningfull.
Maybe they have realised that this dim dislpay is really not at all nessessary for battery life and also, user can dim it if need.

Now, if need/want, and specially if some individual oscilloscope is specially dim (becouse components variations inside tolerances) this brightness can change. There is one fixed resistor what need change.

But carefully so that not break limits.

Resistor is R17 (shunt/measure resistor, part of led driver). It is on the "Adapter PCB" what connects  Power supply - TFT - Main board - Battery  units together and what also have VGA chip for external monitor. R17 is just near backlight LED connector. Variations in other parts and manufacture version this R17 value may be different so it need find carefully what value it need. And, do not adjust this one and only trimmer on this board exept if you have changed TFT screen module or this is new unadjusted "Adapter PCB" as spare part.

TFT Baclight LED's brightness modification.

Measure voltage over TFT baclight LED connector (this is indirect bad method but carefully it can do vith voltage method  if do not want go "as high as can" becouse then need use current method)  It should be around 9.3V. If it is lower then connect decade box (set to 20 ohm) over R17 with as short cables as possible. Slowly drop box resistance but do NOT accidentally drop under 2 ohm. Follow voltage. Stop  point where meter read 9.3V.  (measure between connector pins, not GND and connector + terminal.)

As you do measurement and/or modification. Do not short circuit this reistor or open curcuit it with running oscilloscope!
Do not affect any kind of spices in any part of this board as scope is running or starting. It may affect malfunction or permanent defect. (example power up and power down order and timing for TFT is tightly ruled)

Measure R17 resistance and together with box parallel resistance. Change reistor.
In this adjustment you need least 0.1 ohm steps in box, better if have 0.01ohm steps.

Righ R17 value is under 2.00 ohm typically near 1.00 ohm.

If you want go over 9.3V you can but I do not recommend in any case go to over 9.9V becouse this method is wrong (temperature and some other variations affect this voltage).
Right method is current measurement. If want and reliable can, try find R17 value what give LED driving current 180mA. (Display adjusted to 100% brightness in display adjust menu.)

You loose warranty if you go working inside scope. And one time your test wire just accidentally go wrong place inside running scope... you know, sometimes it need so little smoke come out that you can not see it and this is enough and you have 1.8kg electronic recyclable material.

Disclaimer: This is only wink what maybe can do somehow. I'm not responsible about any kind of defect what this modification may affect directly or indirectly. Also all this information may have what ever kind of errors. Alone you are responsible just after you open scope case.

This modification may reduce battery operation some amount.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 11:16:36 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline somlioy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #352 on: November 10, 2011, 06:35:23 pm »
Just got my SDS7102 and it seems really great. But I've noticed a couple of things.

When you turn down the backlight (Utility -> Function -> Display -> Backlight), do you hear a buzzing sound below 100%?
Also theres something odd with all the knobs (except volts/div and sec/div knobs). If I hold either of them up or press them down while turning they work oposite of what they should do. For instance, if I turn the trig knob right, the trig voltage should increase, but if hold it down (vertically) the trig voltage increases. This is really annoying because it's not much pressure thats needed before it changes direction. Anynoe else experienced that?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 07:57:51 pm by somlioy »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #353 on: November 10, 2011, 08:34:34 pm »
Just got my SDS7102 and it seems really great. But I've noticed a couple of things.

When you turn down the backlight (Utility -> Function -> Display -> Backlight), do you hear a buzzing sound below 100%?

Can not hear any buzzing sound.
(main frequency for switching constant current driver is 1MHz. For dimming display  its 1MHz output is on/off pulsewidth modulated over human ear max frequency (not remember freq, my mesured data is in worklab)... exept if you are whale. ;)

Also theres something odd with all the knobs (except volts/div and sec/div knobs). If I hold either of them up or press them down while turning they work oposite of what they should do. For instance, if I turn the trig knob right, the trig voltage should increase, but if hold it down (vertically) the trig voltage increases. This is really annoying because it's not much pressure thats needed before it changes direction. Anynoe else experienced that?

This I have not find but also have not test with more radial or axial force as turned. But normally handling I have not seen this. Sometimes, just as Rigol or Hantek etc who use this same kind of pulse encoders.. if slowly turn it can make step or two back or forward just as touch and start turning. After 10 minute use hand (fingers) learn it and adapt. I think it is quite typical for these cheap pulse encoders. 

But if problem is more serious (as I think you mean) I have not find any key/knobs problems and I have seen many.

I hope they have not changed these components to some more cheap models.

If you really have problem with knobs, then it need make reclamation to Owon. (If it looks/feels really like production fail then they need warranty exchange.. (just after arrive if find fail it is "new fail"  / "arrived as failed".  And in this kind of real fail they need take all care and give free return - exchange after they service have classified it arrival failed. Maybe need also littlebit test and find good practice and teachj fingers how to handle... look one week and if you then really feel it is factory fail then start warranty exchange/repair process. (Owon do very good customer care (afaik) if there is real failed unit) 

But these knobs are not as old tektronix knobs with 6mm metal shaft or HP with ball bearings... ;)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 09:00:41 pm by rf-loop »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #354 on: November 11, 2011, 08:27:47 am »

Please tell also what is your version.
Vx.x.x

And serial number as
SDS7102yynnz--
(do not publishe these two last digits --)

I have tested this with one SDS7102 and one SDS8202
I have turned knops with extra radial force to all direction (left,up,right,down) with variable shaking and constant force. Also I have pushed knob same time as turned.
All times trace or trig line or cursors mofe just smoothly and right direction.
(of course radial force can not be high becouse mechanically it may damage but my "professional hand" I do it with "normal highest force" what is normal in any kind of use and normal hand user. )
(I have not here good force meter so I can not tell exactly but maybe around 0.3-0.6kp radial force And it feels really high for this kind of knob in normal whoever use. Also I try so high force to trig knob that it lift this end of scope and same force to up and down. now effect to trigger adjust line mowong as I turn sama time.)

So, if you have bad trouble with this, maybe knobs have damaged on the shipping. Can you imagine any signs in package carton that it may have handled badly in shipping.
If this problem is real after some more tests and looks like fail then you need immediately contact seller this person who sell it to you. This need handle as "arrived as failed". All buttons and knobs need work perfect and reliable as they are designed to work. But first be sure you have diagnosed it right for avoid extra confusion and hassle.

Offline somlioy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #355 on: November 11, 2011, 11:12:46 am »
I will tell you my version and SN as soon as I get back home from work. I will also check for damaged packages aswell.

You can compare the weight of the radial force I apply to the knobs with a mouse, literally. Just normal use like anyone would do.

Offline somlioy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #356 on: November 11, 2011, 03:05:12 pm »
My serial number is SDS710211431--
Running version 2.3

No sign of damage on the box.

Offline ForceFed

« Reply #357 on: November 11, 2011, 04:57:50 pm »
Just unpacked my SDS8202.

SDS820211430**
V1.2.1

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #358 on: November 11, 2011, 06:33:11 pm »

Running version 2.3

Only two numbers V2.3
?

This knobs problem. Do they all have same problem (all 5 small turning knobs)
You need contact to seller and tell that there is this knob problem. Becouse problem is in new just arrived unit... "arrives faulty"  They need repair or warranty exhange (immediately) it totally free for you. (they have fast system for exchange, but first you need contact directly your sales person and explain your situation so that it come fully clear that it is fail unit as 1-0)

Have you test all other knobs and buttons?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #359 on: November 11, 2011, 07:09:14 pm »
Just unpacked my SDS8202.

SDS820211430**
V1.2.1

Thank your info. It seems that you have very new. Also FW version is new. Last one was V1.1.1 just short time ago.

Offline somlioy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #360 on: November 11, 2011, 08:10:22 pm »

Running version 2.3

Only two numbers V2.3?

Yes, that's what "Utility -> About" said atleast.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #361 on: November 11, 2011, 08:37:25 pm »
Owon stated that the revision string displayed in the "About" dialog is not changed by a firmware update, so it's kinda worthless to compare that string since you never now what firmware your Owon scope really has.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #362 on: November 11, 2011, 09:51:21 pm »
Owon stated that the revision string displayed in the "About" dialog is not changed by a firmware update, so it's kinda worthless to compare that string since you never now what firmware your Owon scope really has.

Repair patches and updates are different.
Example: FW 2.1.1 original have error in FFT cursors, slow speed normal mode USB wave saving.
Update patch for these errors did not change displayed main version.
(also I remember before this was some other brand, that they also have hidden part in version numbers)

Example SDS7102 V2.1.1 and V2.2.1 have littebit different features.
V2.2.1 have also this repair but then it have also changes.
(bugs/errors repair is different case as develop useability and add features. After repair it continues just as version was designed but repaired some bug)

One example later have come tiny feature for naming USB files.

But 7102, 8102, 8202 they are different models and  there is not direct relation between different models FW versions.
Example 8202 V1.1.1 have USB file naming feature ("keyboard" on the display)

There is of course one solution, Owon may hide totally this version number. After then there is no headaches.

but I remember someone talk that Owon have talked it is "mature" product and no FW updates... hehe.
Now I only want littlebit follow how it go forward..

but today I donnot know at all if displayed version is alone FW version number at all. There is possible also other meaning for his Vx.x.x

Later I try show to Owon how much they can save money if they change FW update policy.
(now they do lot of work to give update service to there and to here. Play with serial numbers and play with some block of serials etc and then (I have seen... they even edit update manual personally for nearly every single update.. how  they can do so much work to make individual personalised update or repair patch update  packages to around world)

If ask from basic sales person or basic customer care "automatic" answer "machines" it do not give any advantage.  Only way is go to Owon kithcen.... and talk about food and weather... after eight (8 is important) lunch it is maybe possible to talk something interesting bisquits about what is possible other policy and method and if it give more money (or reduce costs) then they do it.  Money is teacher, and only teacher who have the authority.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 10:02:02 pm by rf-loop »

Offline fftulip

Re: PDS8202T
« Reply #363 on: November 12, 2011, 07:30:57 am »
A little offtopic, but is there any info if the "new" MSO (MSO7102TD, MSO8102T, MSO8202T) and PDS (PDS8102T/PDS8202T) scopes, which have a 2M point record length, have a full speed memory like in the SDS series?

According to the manual they have "2M points on each channel for the record length" - there is no word of "max" or limitations regarding the sampling rate. In contrary, the record length for the logic anayzer part is specified as "4M max storage for each channel" and later on there is a detailed specification which record length is possible for which frequency.

This sounds as if the 2M record length in scope mode was full speed (which is good) and can't be lowered for faster updates (which is not so good).

I got my employer to buy a PDS8202T for a great price and have used it only a few hours.
The specs only say that the record size is 2.5M points on each channel, not if it is reduced
at high speed.  Since I have limited time on this scope and it doesn't have the friendliest
user interface, I can not even confirm if has this 2.5M point memory working.  When I hit
"stop" and move the horizontal position, it does not seem to show 2.5M points, only what
is on the screen.  Maybe I haven't figured out how to use the full memory yet.

One drawback of the PDS8202T versus the similar SDS models is that although it too has
a large 8 inch TFT screen, it is only 640x480, not 800x600.  I didn't notice that when I looked
at the specs sheet originally.  For those of you who remember using VGA screens, they look
a bit "cartoonish" compared to 800x600 or higher resolutions.  Oh well, the price was right.

On another subject, as mentioned elsewhere, the Owon seems to be picky about the kind of
USB drives it saves waveforms too.  Firstly, the documentation is not clear on this but you
select the waveform format not when you press the "U-disk Copy" key, but instead when you
press the "Display" key under "Carry" (??? how inscrutable is that?).  I haven't figured out
how to save 2.5M points yet, it only seems to save what's shown on the screen.
The other issue is that the Owon won't save to some USB drives.  I tried three different
ones and it only saved to one of them, a 1GB FAT32.  On the other two, a 256MB FAT and
a 4GB FAT32, nothing happened, not even an error message.  It may be that the Owon
only works with FAT32 and certain cluster sizes (see discussion elsewhere).  I don't have the
time or expertise right now to determine the cluster sizes of my flash drives - I'm off on a
plane tomorrow with the scope to do some debugging.

I don't have enough time on the machine to make more comments.  It seems to be worth
the low price we paid (about $US700), and as long as you're not expecting a $2000 Agilent, is a good deal.

Fan T.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #364 on: November 12, 2011, 09:28:30 am »
A little offtopic, but is there any info if the "new" MSO (MSO7102TD, MSO8102T, MSO8202T) and PDS (PDS8102T/PDS8202T) scopes, which have a 2M point record length, have a full speed memory like in the SDS series?

According to the manual they have "2M points on each channel for the record length" - there is no word of "max" or limitations regarding the sampling rate. In contrary, the record length for the logic anayzer part is specified as "4M max storage for each channel" and later on there is a detailed specification which record length is possible for which frequency.

This sounds as if the 2M record length in scope mode was full speed (which is good) and can't be lowered for faster updates (which is not so good).

I got my employer to buy a PDS8202T for a great price and have used it only a few hours.
The specs only say that the record size is 2.5M points on each channel, not if it is reduced
at high speed.  Since I have limited time on this scope and it doesn't have the friendliest
user interface, I can not even confirm if has this 2.5M point memory working.  When I hit
"stop" and move the horizontal position, it does not seem to show 2.5M points, only what
is on the screen.  Maybe I haven't figured out how to use the full memory yet.

One drawback of the PDS8202T versus the similar SDS models is that although it too has
a large 8 inch TFT screen, it is only 640x480, not 800x600.  I didn't notice that when I looked
at the specs sheet originally.  For those of you who remember using VGA screens, they look
a bit "cartoonish" compared to 800x600 or higher resolutions.  Oh well, the price was right.

On another subject, as mentioned elsewhere, the Owon seems to be picky about the kind of
USB drives it saves waveforms too.  Firstly, the documentation is not clear on this but you
select the waveform format not when you press the "U-disk Copy" key, but instead when you
press the "Display" key under "Carry" (??? how inscrutable is that?).  I haven't figured out
how to save 2.5M points yet, it only seems to save what's shown on the screen.
The other issue is that the Owon won't save to some USB drives.  I tried three different
ones and it only saved to one of them, a 1GB FAT32.  On the other two, a 256MB FAT and
a 4GB FAT32, nothing happened, not even an error message.  It may be that the Owon
only works with FAT32 and certain cluster sizes (see discussion elsewhere).  I don't have the
time or expertise right now to determine the cluster sizes of my flash drives - I'm off on a
plane tomorrow with the scope to do some debugging.

I don't have enough time on the machine to make more comments.  It seems to be worth
the low price we paid (about $US700), and as long as you're not expecting a $2000 Agilent, is a good deal.

Fan T.

First, I have no any experience how to use these new PDS models yet (never mix new PDS and old PDS they are different machines "totally").
(and not old PDS models what I do not want never touch).
So with this disclaimer I continue:

Carry  (in Chinese menu (I have looked chinese version paper)  it can understand that it meand transported data type)

It means what format it carry data. But name is not problem becouse after one time learn it you know it. It can name what ever symbol what human can then remember.. (old some machine may use name TDFS or what ever.. hehe)

And selections are: bitmap or vector.

Bitmap is picture and vector is whole captured data just as ADC samples.
----------

Memory, manual tell that 2M points on each channel
Owon catalog tell: Max 2M points on each channel
(this is always confusing, btw, how fuck you can find what memory depth Agilent some infinii Vision use in different horz speeds if look manual or datasheet... I have not yeat find it, but they tell that scope is clever and it can select it automatically for optimize result... yess heheh)

Always it is good to read some datasheets and add term "up to"
With oscilloscopes it is samplerate and memory. Both are "up to" numbers and not always so that both together can be same time its "up to" value. Mostly not. This kind of things I hope ALL oscilloscope and equipments maufacturers specify better and more "truth" on the datasheets/specifications and in advertisements of course. (this is for all manufacturers starting from Rohde&Schwarz and ending to Siglent or Uni-toy.)

top of screen you see same kind of information row where is information how is screen window  wide and position compared to whole captured memory.

If you stop capturing and zoom in with horizontal time/div knob you may find there are more datapoints. This is very common method with digital scopes.
How many sample points there are per one div (without zooming in or out) depends user settings, memory, samplerate etc.
This how they relate each others is good to learn. (basic learn how stuffs work and then learn how this individual scope model work what is on the table)

(look this table example what I have published for SDS series.)
Up to horz speed where reached maximum samplerate whole 1k to 10M (user selected) is inside 20 time divs. (there TFT itself is 15.2 div wide) So nearly just whole 10Mpoints are packaged to these 20 divs. After go higher horz speeds scope have reached maximum samplerate (for selected memory amount) and then only can add these divs. So screen is then more and more narrow window to whope captured data and this you can see in this information line top of screen line. (same kind of information you find also example Rigol or Hnatek and many others)

Now what ever you picture is but if you store vector data you can easy look that it have 2M vectors. (ADC sampled voltage level bytes. 8 bit signed bytes)

I do not know this new PDS serie if it is same kind of .bin file what is SDS serie.
If SDS want it to .csv mode it need convert with Owon convert tool.

-------------

(but this last with big smile ;) :) :)  )

Now you're reviewing oscilloscope, although we should talk about that can you use it, and you understand how an oscilloscope works in principle. And this is very common problen around this forum -- including also myself  -- up to highest level this forum.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 09:48:45 am by rf-loop »

Offline ForceFed

« Reply #365 on: November 12, 2011, 03:48:06 pm »
I can confirm, there is a high pitch noise coming from my SDS8202 when setting the display below 100% brightness. The display isn't overly bright at 100%, so I doubt you would ever set it below that. I actaully wish it was a tad brighter.

The Owon software/manual CD that came with my unit crashes MS Windows 7 as soon as it tries to autorun. It does however load fine on Windows XP.

Can not hear any buzzing sound.
(main frequency for switching constant current driver is 1MHz. For dimming display  its 1MHz output is on/off pulsewidth modulated over human ear max frequency (not remember freq, my mesured data is in worklab)... exept if you are whale. ;)

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #366 on: November 12, 2011, 04:47:49 pm »
I just tested SDS8202V in very silent room. Really I can not hear anything but fan quite low noise.
Then I test also with fan stopped. No any noise.

Now then I need correct littlebit, I remember wrong.
100% brightness thre is only 1MHz frequency before diode and capacitor.
<100% there is pulse width modulation what enables and disables this 1MHz.
To G5126 equivalent  enable pin go 300Hz (in this unit nearly exactly 303Hz) variable pulsewidth signal.
There is one inductor L2 and this is type what do not easy make any noise.
(closed ferrite can).

So, it can not easy believe it product any acoustic noise what can hear. (exept if they have changed construction)

(but EMI noise it (whole scope) radiated some amount  but not as much as these stupid "green" eco lamps... just as Pb free stupidities just also this... first make rules and after then thinking.)

But, peoples have microphone and I hope some give noise sample so that it can clearly regognize that it come exactly from oscilloscope and not from other source. 

I use normally 50% setting.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 04:53:10 pm by rf-loop »

Offline ForceFed

« Reply #367 on: November 12, 2011, 05:20:32 pm »
Definitely not the fan causing the noise on my unit. As you lower the display output the pitch/freq also lowers.

Maybe something is different with units that do not have the VGA output?

I just tested SDS8202V in very silent room. Really I can not hear anything but fan quite low noise.
Then I test also with fan stopped. No any noise.

Now then I need correct littlebit, I remember wrong.
100% brightness thre is only 1MHz frequency before diode and capacitor.
<100% there is pulse width modulation what enables and disables this 1MHz.
To G5126 equivalent  enable pin go 300Hz (in this unit nearly exactly 303Hz) variable pulsewidth signal.
There is one inductor L2 and this is type what do not easy make any noise.
(closed ferrite can).

So, it can not easy believe it product any acoustic noise what can hear. (exept if they have changed construction)

(but EMI noise it (whole scope) radiated some amount  but not as much as these stupid "green" eco lamps... just as Pb free stupidities just also this... first make rules and after then thinking.)

But, peoples have microphone and I hope some give noise sample so that it can clearly regognize that it come exactly from oscilloscope and not from other source. 

I use normally 50% setting.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #368 on: November 12, 2011, 05:32:06 pm »
at high speed.
At the time, I also asked Owon support to confirm the record length/memory speed and after a while I got a rather vague reply. Anyway, I took from this reply that the PDS/MSO scopes have no option to set the record length and instead vary the record length automatically with the sample frequency. This hints that they don't have full speed memory and are inferior to the SDS line regarding this point.

Regarding the USB sticks: I got the confirmation from Owon that only USB sticks with a 4k cluster size are supported by the SDS line. I would suspect that this is also true for the PDS/MSO line. On my SDS this means that e.g. with a 8k cluster size, I can't store any files >= 8k. So for sticks >= 8GB which usually use an 8k cluster size or even more, you need to reformat them with a 4k cluster size to actually use them.

Offline pofigist

« Reply #369 on: November 13, 2011, 11:33:23 am »
Hello! I write with the help of google-translator from Russia.
Been thinking where to ask your question and decided to write here. I recently purchased a similar oscilloscope-SDS8102, but he immediately started having problems. I of course return it under warranty, but still I wonder what happened to him, software or hardware failure.
From the beginning, I was 100% sure that the problem is hardware, but now have doubts that maybe the software:
When you turn on the oscilloscope channel on both raised up in the zone and the frequency display on the first channel displayed a few hundred kilohertz, and the second a few megahertz, then after about 5 - 7 minutes  the problem disappears. At the time these "attacks" the oscilloscope does not measure any signal.
Question. Who was such a problem as it solved, and which cause problems?

I hope google translated correctly :) .

Zdravstvuyte!
Dolgo dumal gde zadat' svoy vopros i reshil napisat' syuda. Nedavno ya priobrel podobnyy oscillograf -SDS8102, no u nego srazu poyavilis' problemy. Ya konechno je vernu ego po garantii, no vse je mne interesno chto s nim, programmnaya ili apparatnaya polomka.
S nachala ya byl 100% uveren chto problema apparatnaya, no seychas est' somneniya chto mojet i programmnaya:
Pri vklyuchenii oscillografa oba kanala na ekrane podnyaty vverh i v zone indikacii chastoty na pervom kanale otobrajaetsya neskol'ko soten kilogerc, a na vtorom neskol'ko megagerc, zatem primerno cherez minut 5 - 7 problema ischezaet.  V moment etih "pristupov" oscillograf ne izmeryaet ni odin signal.
Vopros. Byla u kogo takaya problema, kak ee reshili, i kakaya prichina neispravnosti?

Here's a video example (video primery):

« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 11:44:55 am by pofigist »

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #370 on: November 13, 2011, 12:25:51 pm »
pofigist, your videos appears like an internal fault within the scope.  Like a quality control assembly problem.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline aghp

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #371 on: November 13, 2011, 03:43:27 pm »
To profigist:

With my experience with Owon SDS series oscilloscopes, including service, my tight and quite sure opinion is:
Your oscilloscope is faulty.
Please take contact to seller and ask warranty repair or warranty exchange.

I classify it as failed becouse traces randomly disappear and come back frequently. This video is enough for classify it as failed.
Also these sharp "edges" if look your video single frames just as traces disappears or come back and  together with these freq counts numbers.
Strong suspicion of almost certain hardware fault.

Of course you can also do selfcalibration for more examination and if it fails it is more document  for fail.  (but this looks very clearly faulty so not specially  need do any more examinations)

First, do "default".
Traces need be nearly vertically same amount from center line. (-1div and +1div)
Push both channels vertical shift know, both traces go to center line.
Turn both channels Volt/div whole scale starting from 10mV/div.
Traces need stay just near center line. (same with AC setting and DC setting)
If not, do selfcalibration and check agen.

But, becouse this random trace shift out from TFT/totally disappear without touching scope and inputs just without any signal it happends randomly ==> Fail. 

Warranty repair (main board and/or adapter board change) or better warranty exchange just becouse it is new arrived "DOA" (arrived faulty)

//

If you purchased it from seller who do not care plese contact directly to Owon China. Also in this case please tell to Owon who is this seller. (only if seller do not take care about your situation)

Give information about serial number and explain that it is just arrived new oscilloscope and short description about fail. And these videos.
They can not maybe look youtube so you need upload these to some place what can realiable use in China.

With Owon if you have problem you are not alone. Specially if you have purchased it from good an authorized dealer (example me but only locally in Finland).

If you need contact to Owon please ask they give free shipping becouse new arrived oscilloscope is faulty.

[bFirst ask your seller![/b]
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 04:08:14 pm by aghp »
EU: Owon oscilloscopes and in Finland also  some Siglent selected equipments. All with our  lab deep Q.C. in Finland.  Surplus test equipments. Repair service. 40 year experience about electric and electronic repair, service and design. Local Owon SDS-Series  repair service for our customers.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #372 on: November 13, 2011, 03:55:56 pm »
I have the 8102 as well and mine doesn't show this behavior. I figure you're using the 100ms/div timebase, 1V/div for the voltage and you connected the ground of both probes to the ground of the test output.
With this configuration, there is a little noise visible on both channels, but not the disturbing behavior that you observe.

BTW: at 100ms/div, the sample rate is displayed as 5MS/s on my 8102, while yours displays 5KS/s. I tend to believe that the 5KS/s is more realistic in 100ms/div rolling mode. Anyway your firmware revision seems to differ from mine. So it could be also a firmware bug. Anyway to me it looks more like a hardware issue.

Offline aghp

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #373 on: November 13, 2011, 04:33:45 pm »

I tend to believe that the 5KS/s is more realistic in 100ms/div rolling mode. Anyway your firmware revision seems to differ from mine. So it could be also a firmware bug. Anyway to me it looks more like a hardware issue.

This looks quite good table.

In Scanning mode, displayed information about samplerate and used true memory size is not ok. It is FW bug. If you turn it normal or single shot slow speed mode information on the  TFT is correct. This situation may change what ever time by Owon.

//

Not personally to any named person. For all:
This is also important to understand. As you (some)  purchase product  you (some)  also accept this becouse this is part of product and deal:  Owon legal statement:

"OWON will continue to improve products and reserves the rights to changes specification at any time without notice."
Quote end.

Product is as customer have purchased it and there is no any promise that Owon will continue improving  this individual unit what you (some) have purchased.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:06:48 pm by aghp »
EU: Owon oscilloscopes and in Finland also  some Siglent selected equipments. All with our  lab deep Q.C. in Finland.  Surplus test equipments. Repair service. 40 year experience about electric and electronic repair, service and design. Local Owon SDS-Series  repair service for our customers.

Offline pofigist

« Reply #374 on: November 13, 2011, 06:40:03 pm »
Thank you all for your answers.
Oscilloscope I rechecked all modes, which I could find in it, resets to the factory - and nothing changed. Mode 5Ks / s, 100ms I turned to a more graphic display of the anomalies on the screen.
I bought my oscilloscope in the Russian internet shop "Platan". In this shop, I always bought electronic components in small batches and not what it claims to not be.
Today, wrote a letter to e-mail store, but so far no reply has come (day off). hope for tomorrow.
---------------------------------

Vsem spasibo za otvety.
Oscillograf ya pereproveryal vo vseh rejimah, kotorye ya mog v nem nayti, sbrasyval nastroyki na zavodskie - i nichego ne izmenyalo. Rejim 5Ks/s, 100ms ya vklyuchal dlya bolee naglyadnogo otobrajenie anomaliy na ekrane.
Priobretal ya svoy oscillograf v rossiyskom internet magazine "Platan". v etom magazine ya vsegda priobretal elektronnye komponenty melkimi partiyami i ni kakih k nim pretenziy ne bylo.
Segodnya napisal pis'mo na elektronnuyu pochtu magazina, no poka otveta ne prishlo (vyhodnoy). nadeyus' na zavtrashniy den'.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 06:42:42 pm by pofigist »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf