Author Topic: Review: Two clamp meters, UT204A and MS2108, who wins? Updated with current test  (Read 9972 times)

Offline LightagesTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
I have had these two multimeters for a while now and thought I would share my thoughts about them.

If I seem unsure about the MS2108 and how it works, it is because I put it aside and haven't looked at it for months.

I will be posting a new video on the current measurements later. This was just a comparison of the two as far as build quality and over feel.

And now for what they were meant to do, clamp measurements!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 08:29:55 pm by Lightages »

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Review: Two clamp meters, UT204A and MS2108, who wins?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 06:57:39 pm »
Got the mastech recently, works well enough, and does not have the drift as bad as yours, and the switch has good end stops. Does work well enough with the little work I have done with it, and measures easily down to under 100mA DC. Seems to be at least usable, and I did want DC current and TRMS in my next meter, this came in cheap and probably good enough.

Will have to read the manual and print it ( came with the Chinese version, but got a download of the engrish one) later. Did not even realise the torch in front of jaws, nice addition, did not notice it.

I think inrush test will be to take to work and check on the battery cable of the van during start, should do the trick. Can check the alternator as well, and see which connection is actually doing the bulk of the work, the original wiring ( cheap spade connectors that died and went intermittent after 10 years of use ) or the new short thick 4mm cable bolted at both ends to get good contact.

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Re: Review: Two clamp meters, UT204A and MS2108, who wins?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 07:25:20 pm »
Maybe you got a different revision. The one I have I will only use when I need to check inrush and TRMS current.But even then I have no trust in those readings neither. You will see why in the next video which will be online very soon.

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Oh yes, the inrush function is ONLY for AC measurement. I have also tried trimming out some of the offsets and the trim pots are so touchy it is impossible to get zero to stay zero. AC is better and so is the DC offset but still drifts quite a bit.

And I just did the high voltage torture test. The MS2108 arced inside at 2500V but survived. The UT204A survived 2500V with warning beeps but no arcing.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 08:48:50 pm by Lightages »

Offline sullyRD

• Contributor
Great Videos mate, could you do a close up compare of the ICs and Circuit layouts as this i feel is very important on general use and reliability. The Voltage Draw on each clamp meter in standby mode and off mode would be a great advantage.  :-+
To Build a Cenotaph, First Choose a Million Victims.

Offline ftonello

• Contributor
    • FTTENG
Hello from Brazil, :-+
When you say at the end, "i don´t trust it for anything"; Should i understand that UNIT-T is included in this class too? Or UNIT-T wins and is a better choice for professionals looking for a cheap tool?
I just bought a MS8120 and really found some issues that you showed on the video.
In the main board you can see a series of trimpots VR1 to VR8...I´m almost sure this is for calibration.  Do you have the legend for these ones?
Do you think i can improve accuracy doing a properly calibration? ;)

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 02:19:05 pm by ftonello »
Hi from Brazil!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf