Author Topic: Rigol 1000Z series PC interface  (Read 11022 times)

Offline cio74Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Rigol 1000Z series PC interface
« on: March 19, 2016, 05:36:29 pm »
Playing a little more with the just bought Rigol DS1074S-S, now PC control over USB.

Their UltraScope looks very poor, for instance how do I set the cursor?

I have a Picoscope 3206D MSO, I don't really like their interface but you can do pretty much anything you want. Do I miss something about Rigol?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol 1000Z series PC interface
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 09:09:12 pm »
It's not that you missed something but maybe your expectations aren't realistic for the amount of money you spent.

The DS1054Z provides a National Instruments VISA interface to the outside world. You can use any VISA-compatible software.

The software supplied by Rigol isn't terribly good.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 10:30:01 pm »
Well, getting cursor to work over the remote interface isn't exactly high expectation... or is it?  :D

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 10:40:06 pm »

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 10:48:40 pm »
maybe your expectations aren't realistic for the amount of money you spent.

(sorry... but this is what you are going to hear whenever you encounter bugs or have other complaints about the Rigol scopes. "They are cheap, what did you expect?" seems to be the standard answer whenever someone finds a bug, a non-functional "feature" or a difficulty in use for these scopes.
The fact that you are surprised or inconvenienced that the scopes do not work fully as specified or expected is _your fault_, because you shouldn't expect a "cheap" product to work as designed, apparently.)
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 10:49:47 pm »
You can always use DSRemote on Linux

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/free-ds6000ds1000z-software/

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Wondering how slow it would be ran under VMware on a Windows machine.

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 10:51:15 pm »
You can always use DSRemote on Linux

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/free-ds6000ds1000z-software/

Does DSRemote allow setting cursors? I can't remember. It does work quite well for general remote control of the scope, but I can't recall if it works for controlling the cursors.

The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 11:01:49 pm »
I won't really need a remote control software, it's just that text being too small. With such a small screen one would have expected VGA output to be an option.

Even Rigol's 2000 series does not offer VGA option, the next step is 4000 series. Keysight offer it with their 2000/3000 as an option and I think it's standard in the
4000 series.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 11:09:30 pm »
(sorry... but this is what you are going to hear whenever you encounter bugs or have other complaints about the Rigol scopes. "They are cheap, what did you expect?" seems to be the standard answer whenever someone finds a bug, a non-functional "feature" or a difficulty in use for these scopes.

I'm still not sure what your point is when you keep repeating this.

Should we expect an oscilloscope with built-in screen and control knobs and enough processing power to do all the screen updates work as well over USB as a dedicated USB oscilloscope which cost 3 times as much money?

Maybe it's just me but ... that seems unrealistic.

The fact that you are surprised or inconvenienced that the scopes do not work fully as specified or expected is _your fault_, because you shouldn't expect a "cheap" product to work as designed, apparently.)

Is it also a deep design flaw if my $50 multimeter doesn't work as well as a Fluke 87V? :-//
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 08:12:31 am by Fungus »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 07:54:47 am »
I won't really need a remote control software, it's just that text being too small.

Seems fine to me.

With such a small screen one would have expected VGA output to be an option.

"Expect"...?

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 10:46:39 am »
there is a new SW release for Windows users that can download short and long (full) memory data from Rigol DSx000E/Z for documentation, storage and analysis. Not just that:

1) import signal from any instrumentations of higher bits (12, 16 bits etc for eg) that can produce CSV output file for higher precision FFT etc analysis.
2) deep memory FFT (currently up to 200Kpts for beta testing) but soon 20-200Mpts FFT is just right at the corner.
3) can interactive zoom-in, zoom-out, pan long memory data and deep memory FFT. THD measurement, peak finding, sort, center etc.
4) intensity/color/heat level grading for jitter and eye diagram analysis.

check it out: WinXP-Win10 32/64 bit tested:
http://www.soasystem.com/download/visadso/

some screenshots from:
http://www.soasystem.com/download/visadso/screenshot/screenshot.html

from the tweet, the MAKER is currently progressing to the Logic Analysis module... the release is to gather input on bugs while at the same time developing LA module... FWIW...

« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 10:48:27 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

The following users thanked this post: coromonadalix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 11:18:54 am »
Thanks, I will give it a go today and see how it goes.

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 11:25:40 am »
maybe your expectations aren't realistic for the amount of money you spent.

Here we go again. Out of interest, how much more are you willing to spend so that Rigol software  can be the same quality as Keysight? Why didn't you spend it? Are you surprised when your generic cola isn't Coke?

Anyone naive enough to expect the software options on the Rigol are going to be top shelf is kidding themselves. How does the software compare for all the scopes with similar specs and price? You bought a cheap scope, in my opinion the best value for money anywhere, so get over it.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 11:54:32 am »
Mecha, the setup package is not signed, I take you wrote the software? If it's your company then investing £100-200 and get a code signed cert is going to help a lot. Trying it out anyway.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 11:57:57 am »
It says can't connect, any tips?

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2016, 12:13:06 pm »
Mecha, the setup package is not signed, I take you wrote the software? If it's your company then investing £100-200 and get a code signed cert is going to help a lot. Trying it out anyway.
£100-200. resources need to be gained. the company is currently planning in some way for that... but i dont give much hope. how much interested users for this App? is uncharted.. this work is mainly for hobby, lets see how it goes...

It says can't connect, any tips?
have you installed visa32 driver in your PC? if you see (no-visa32 mode) on SW caption, then probably you have not installed it. you can download and install from...
http://www.ni.com/download/ni-visa-run-time-engine-15.0/5379/en/
and visa32.dll is included in the install package but will not automatically installed. you need to copy it to windows\system32 yourself if you think necessary. this App is designed for no-visa32 mode ie for importing CSV/WFM files only. Non-rigol users who capable to produce compatible CSV files also may utilize this SW, thats one of the purpose..

and tips: you may want to read the start-up tutorial. there maybe some aspects you need to know first. for rigol users, its in app install folder\tutorial\02_rigol.vidsoc..
you may also want to look for sample files in \sample\ so you can comfortable with file formats supported by it, and can be used to see how some features are used such as level grade and FFT.
FWIW...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 12:17:28 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2016, 12:14:08 pm »
Where should I see that 'no visa 32' message? There is no status bar.

I can run Ultra Station and have installed the NI drivers. Now, 32 or 64, no idea, system is 64 bits.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2016, 12:15:35 pm »
screenshot

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2016, 12:21:03 pm »
Using UltraSigma I can issue this command

* Connected to: USB0::0x1AB1::0x04CE::DS1ZD174801262::INSTR
-> *IDN?
<- (Return Count:56)
RIGOL TECHNOLOGIES,MSO1074Z,DS1ZD174801262,00.04.03.SP2

Using your software, Run command followed by Get Command produces

RIGOL TECHNOLOGIES,MSO1074Z,DS1ZD174801262,00.04.03.SP2

So it seems fine to me but yet when trying to access any feature from the GUI it says can't connect

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2016, 12:23:35 pm »
cio74.. the "no-visa32 mode" should be on the top caption (application's titlebar), next to the "VisaDSO Capture". but yours doesnt show up so you have installed the driver. whats your DSO model? it was tested with DS1000E/Z only. it tries to make compatible with others DSO too for eq DS2000, 4000, 6000 and so on, but no real testing has been made since no devices at hand.. you may also try Utilities -> DSO Console to read your DSO model read from visa32 driver...

ok i get it! "MSO1074Z" the word "MSO" is currently not supported (or not thought earlier), i'll pass the report to the MAKER for quick fix... thanks for your input...

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2016, 12:30:07 pm »
Yes, it's the MSO model.

Never mind, it's on sale section and it will go on Ebay if the guys at the store don't want it back.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2016, 12:59:03 pm »
Yes, it's the MSO model.
the quick patch is available for you... see attached... unzip and overwrite the exe file in the installation directory...

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2016, 01:23:13 pm »
It works and have something like measurement tool, not exactly a cursor but probably usable.

Good luck with your development.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2016, 01:57:45 pm »
thats called "Ruler" ;), its in the tutorial file, but as you've discovered, left-click-hold and drag on the signal view will show it up... click on one spot to deactivate it... to autohide after mouse click up... click menu "settings -> autohide ruler". the flashy red color was choosen so it will not buried in the channels colors. its measures time span, freq of the time span (1/T), and Vamplitude of each visible channels and show in the floating note. you can drag an move around the floating note ;) FWIW..
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 01:59:45 pm by Mechatrommer »

Offline p.larner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2023, 10:16:19 pm »
why does the patch flag as a trojan?.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf