Author Topic: UNI-T UT136B and Aneng AN8008  (Read 4384 times)

Offline Electro FanTopic starter

• Super Contributor
UNI-T UT136B and Aneng AN8008
« on: December 24, 2017, 01:12:48 am »
For Christmas I acquired a UNIT-T UT136B and an Aneng AN8008.  Attached is a chart showing some measurements from each along with the same measurements made with a Fluke 179.  All tests were done with DC; I'm sure AC works to some extent on both the UNI-T and the Aneng meters but it isn't what I had in mind for the UT136B or the AN8008. 

The Fluke is probably about 10 years old.  The tests were made using a DMMCheck Plus, a PentaRef, and one other device from voltagestandard.com; these devices are about 4 years old.  The tests were made pretty quickly - more chopping with an axe than measuring with a micrometer.  Nothing about this is presented as definitive - just some data points.

I initially was curious about the AN8008 but decided to also try the UT136B.  The AN8008 might instill slightly more confidence (just a sheer guess) than the UT136B when it comes to measuring but the UT136B might instill slightly more confidence when it comes to durability.   I think both will be a-ok if handled with reasonable care.  The footprints of both are similar but the UT1368B is almost twice as thick front to back so it feel blockier and stockier (if those are words).  The UT136B uses 4 probe inputs vs 3 on the AN8008 so the UT136B requires slightly more replugging.  The digits are larger on the AN8008 but both displays are legible.  The AN8008 backlight when engaged turns on for 2 minutes (long enough for me); I quit measuring the time on the UT136B after 3 minutes.

The pulse generator on the AN8008 goes in various steps from 50 Hz to 5000 Hz; at 50 Hz the rise time measured 9.5 ms.  At 300 Hz the rise time measured 1.4 ms.  Not sure what this will do for anyone but maybe it's an entry level function generator with limited functionality for "free" when you buy the DMM.  The UT136B is has one slight glitch that might bug someone - the dial pointer doesn't quite line up with some of the markings around the dial; in the middle it's pretty much aligned but on the edges it misses the dots associated with labels.  I think it's a printing error and it might just be from a so-so batch; not a show stopper and maybe more than you can expect for the price.  If they didn't print the dots and just had the labels (like on the Aneng and the Fluke) you might not notice.

The only tests I made are shown in the chart; both units have lots of functions I haven't tried yet.

Overall what I think the UT136B and the AN8008 would be good for entry level hobby work and/or portable "keep a DMM with you" in your bag or car type uses.  Overall, I like both the UT136B and the AN8008.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and Happy Holidays!!!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 01:19:07 am by Electro Fan »

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: UNI-T UT136B and Aneng AN8008
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 01:40:25 am »
A couple other tests:

The AN8008 wins on continuity testing; the sound from the AN8008 is pretty clear and distinct; from the UT136B it's pretty scratchy.

On the diode setting the AN8008 lights a red LED; no luck with the UNT136B.

One other note:

The UT136B comes with a 9V battery installed and test leads.  The AN8008 has a larger compliment of test leads and accessories, and a carry bag, but it doesn't include the two required AAA batteries.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 01:47:54 am by Electro Fan »

Offline R.Naresh

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 02:57:14 am »
well well the very famous aneng an8008 is a nice meter with a very nice display and 10k counts but it lacks sertainly in put protection if aneng (Zotek the OEM :D) was to make a meter with a bigger ceramic std sized fuses i would surly buy them and use it for all probably at least if they had the pads for bigger fuses it would have be replacable a bit more eligantly (like the ut61e)

well maybe you could have bought the very famous ut201e and hacked it to become 10k(dm1106en chip the same used in the aneng an8008 wat a coinsidence :P) or 6k(dm0660l chip) see this thread (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/a-look-at-the-uni-t-ut210e/)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 03:02:24 am »
well well the very famous aneng an8008 is a nice meter with a very nice display and 10k counts but it lacks sertainly in put protection if aneng (Zotek the OEM :D) was to make a meter with a bigger ceramic std sized fuses i would surly buy them and use it for all probably at least if they had the pads for bigger fuses it would have be replacable a bit more eligantly (like the ut61e)

well maybe you could have bought the very famous ut201e and hacked it to become 10k(dm1106en chip the same used in the aneng an8008 wat a coinsidence :P) or 6k(dm0660l chip) see this thread (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/a-look-at-the-uni-t-ut210e/)
Some proper input protection would be nice too, plus some independent testing. That would probably put it in another category, though.

Offline JohnPen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 10:21:21 am »
How do you get you get 2 minutes of backlight on the AN8008 I only get 15 seconds?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 04:46:47 pm »
How do you get you get 2 minutes of backlight on the AN8008 I only get 15 seconds?

Based on earlier reviews/reports I had expected the backlight to last 15 seconds but I was pleasantly surprised to find the unit I received has a 2 minute backlight.  I just double checked it:  hold down the blue button until it comes on, the light stays on for 2 minutes and then shuts off after 2 minutes - or you can turn it off sooner with another hold down press of the blue button.  The manual (which has the specs and instructions printed with small text on a folded glossy paper) says the blue button should be held down for 2 seconds but I think it turns on slightly faster.  My guess is that some (newer) units have been programmed to stay on for 2 minutes - possibly in response to reviews.  Just a guess though.  My unit just arrived yesterday; maybe other users with recently delivered units can comment.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 07:25:47 pm »
Just an update.... backlight is still working A-OK.

And when I compare the measurements to my Fluke the 8008 holds up fine. 

More excitingly, after years of measuring A and mA I just came up with one of my relatively few reasons to measure uA and sure enough the 8008 came through like a champ.  If you need one more DMM this is a useful model to have around.  Probably not as industrial strength and reliable as the Fluke but the 8008 is fun.  (If DMM's could be rated on cuteness, this might be the winner.)  In photography they say the best camera is the one you have with you; this is a DMM that you can keep handy in your car, office, lab, pretty much anywhere.   Happy New Year and Happy Testing & Measuring.  EF

The following users thanked this post: 001, ez24

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf