Author Topic: Newly discovered Malidy. MDAS  (Read 1286 times)

Offline GrandpaslaboritoryTopic starter

Newly discovered Malidy. MDAS
« on: February 13, 2022, 04:45:05 pm »
MDAS. Multi discipline acquisition syndrome

Definition:
Started by studying Electrical Engineering.  Acquired eico and heathkit test gear, then moved up and got a decent Tektronics dual beam scope (USED of course, first foray into test equipment repair, used it for Years,
Got job in Pro Audio. Used previous stated test gear

Got some really god audio gear.  Needed more really good audio gear,  turned into holy grail obsession.   

Discovered talent of writing software. Got really good at it,  Need my own mini computer. Got one used - figured out that test equipment is now inadequate. Need more test equipment. Ahh the pile rises.  Got mini computer working, now we need a bigger one.  Thankfully live in Minnesota where you write software all winter so you can write off the heating of your house by powering you  racks of disk drives and mini computers.  Oops, got summer contract. Buy 2nd air conditioner for house.

Discovered woodworking,  really good, cheap woodworking equipment consists of used 3 phase stuff.  Of course, house doesn't have 3 phase.  Here we go again....

Years pass.  Discover that old holy grail audio gear is worth a bloody fortune.  However,  need to repair old test equipment,  need more test equipment to repair test equipment.. of course, the aquired test equipment is all boat anchor style.   Needs calibration and repair.  Upgrade skills by relearning old lessons.

Buy new test equipment. Discover that even the gee wiz of new stuff just doesn't  feel like old hp and tek gear.

Repair and recalibrate old audio gear. Aquire all of the branded mates to previously owned gear.   The pile grows

Repairing friends equipment of course will require more test gear!

Aquire gear that was out of reach during my teenage years. Ahh the joys of JBL and Altec pro gear. Now we delve into the speaker rabbit hole.

Need better listening environment.  Is that microphone being used to calibrate my room actually calibrated?   NEED MORE TEST GEAR

Now we are taking up cooking,  need better meat grinder.......

« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 04:47:02 pm by Grandpaslaboritory »

Offline tunk

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Newly discovered Malidy. MDAS
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 06:28:02 pm »
Don't think you can move it, but you can post it in the TEA thread,
then delete the contents/text of this post and instead post a link to
the TEA thread.

Offline GrandpaslaboritoryTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 10:07:19 pm »
ok thanks for the info, I got it reposted, now just need to figure out how to remove from here.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 10:25:19 pm »
ok thanks for the info, I got it reposted, now just need to figure out how to remove from here.
You can't.
Instead use Modify or Edit to remove the thread content but that's kinda rude when instead you could add a link to the post you made in the TEA thread.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 10:36:22 pm »
What happens to a thread if everybody removes all their posts from it?  :popcorn:

(use the "Remove" button on the right to remove a post)

Let's do it and find out!

I'll remove this one after I see all the others are gone.
Only moderators can remove the OP.......but it's never done here unless the thread is unsavory.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 12:05:12 pm »
Lets bring up politics then!  >:D
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf