Author Topic: Rigol DG1022z/ DG1032z Function Generator can it generate 5 Volt Square wave?  (Read 9779 times)

Offline nealzTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Hack... Hack till it works.
I was hoping to solicit feedback on a purchasing an ARB under $600.00.

Currently leaning towards the purchase of  a Rigol DG1022z or DG1032z but open to other suggestions. One of the reasons I'm considering the Rigol is I can capture a waveform on my DS1074 as play back on the DG1000z. Is anyone doing this?

• One of the features I need is a Square Wave at up to 5 Volts at low frequencies < 400HZ. Nothing super accurate but better then an Arduino PWM script that I am using now  ;)
    I will be using it for other functions but with the project I am on now need an EASY way to generate square waves of difference pulse widths. I have a Rigol DS1074z and the ARB is not easy (User Friendly) to use.

• Second question is other then the bandwidth differences between the DG1022z and DG1032z.  The only feature difference I can find is AB waveform Length. Is there any other feature differences that I amy have missed?
Thanks in advance to the EEVBLOG members.

Neal

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
DG1032Z is much better usability wise..

Offline sainter

• Regular Contributor
DG1032Z has 8 MPts waveform, and DG1022Z has 2MPts. Both are software upgradable to 16MPts.

• Supporter
Thanks for the feedback.

I have a Ds1074z scope with a built in Arb but it's limited to 2.5Volt PP. So I can't get a positive 5 Volt signal.

I would be a big help if an owner of a DG1000z Arb can confirm this very basic function as I got blindsighted by the limitation of the DS1074z Arb.

My current project will be a lot of PWM data collection and I just want to take the easy button to completion. Capture live PWM to Scope replay via the Arb and process/analyse.

Currently leaning toward the DG1032z. Appears Rigol has dropped the price to $499 due to price competition.  I suspect this is due to Siglent's new Arb with looks pretty interesting   

I was suprised that I could not do such a basic function such as 5 Volt square wave on the Rigol DS1074z-s.

Not to mention the DS1074z Arb user interface stinks.

Again Thank you In advance.

Neal

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Does your ARB output need to be terminated with 50 ohms or can you get away with a high impedance? If you can have the high impedance then your scope's AWG will work.
VE7FM

• Supporter
I can use High Impedance.
You have me intrigued, Any Clues on how to set this up is appreciated!

I'd still like to get a Separate ARB but I'm very interested in how to make this work with the DS1074Z.

Thanks TheSteve

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
The specifications indicate it will generate 5 volts peak to peak and can adjust a DC offset up to 2.5 volts. So into a high impedance I would expect it can generate a 0-5 volt signal up to its rated frequency.
VE7FM

• Supporter
Thanks for checking on that.

I set the signal source to Hi Z and 5V. If I try to add an offset of 2.5 V I get parameter limited. I tried 1 Volt and get same Parameter limited message.

Here's an Screen Shot.

KR4IZ

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Hmm, I don't have my 1074Z-s anymore or I'd do some testing myself. It looks like it doesn't want to offset by the voltage you want. It may still work for your needs but you'd need to watch out for common grounds. If your device is floating you'd be ok, but then if you were to probe it with the scope etc you'd be back to the same problem of DC offset.
VE7FM

Offline Sairus

• Contributor
One of the features I need is a Square Wave at up to 5 Volts at low frequencies < 400HZ. Nothing super accurate but better then an Arduino PWM script that I am using now

The following users thanked this post: nealz

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Thanks for the feedback.

I have a Ds1074z scope with a built in Arb but it's limited to 2.5Volt PP. So I can't get a positive 5 Volt signal.

I would be a big help if an owner of a DG1000z Arb can confirm this very basic function as I got blindsighted by the limitation of the DS1074z Arb.

My current project will be a lot of PWM data collection and I just want to take the easy button to completion. Capture live PWM to Scope replay via the Arb and process/analyse.

Currently leaning toward the DG1032z. Appears Rigol has dropped the price to $499 due to price competition.  I suspect this is due to Siglent's new Arb with looks pretty interesting   

I was suprised that I could not do such a basic function such as 5 Volt square wave on the Rigol DS1074z-s.

Not to mention the DS1074z Arb user interface stinks.

Again Thank you In advance.

Neal
Which new Siglent ARB ?
The SDG2042X is $499 and the SDG1032X is $399 and both are capable of waveforms of 20 V p-p to at least 10 MHz.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline marksail

Hi,  ....into 50 ohm terminated, my 1022z  puts out 10v square p-p, or 5v p-p with 2.5v offset.

• Supporter
Thank you all for your input.

I'll try Sairus op amp circuit for fun!

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
I have just ordered the 1022Z and see it has a software upgrade option to enable 16Mb Arb memory depth. Its not cheap at $AU249, I would like some advise to know if the extra memory depth would be money well spent?

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
I have just ordered the 1022Z and see it has a software upgrade option to enable 16Mb Arb memory depth. Its not cheap at $AU249, I would like some advise to know if the extra memory depth would be money well spent?

Basic 8 Mpoints is plenty.... You can always unlock it later if you need it..

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
It seems the new DG1022z out performs the DG1032z in being able to produce square waves up to 25 MHz, whereas the older and more expensive DG1032z is limited to 15 MHz. The DG1032z can produce sine waves up to 30 MHz whereas the DG1022z is limited to 25 MHz. The feature sets and front panel of all 3 DG1000z units look identical, it appears as only bandwidth differences exist.

I wonder if the new DG1022z has the hardware to go beyond its set 25 MHZ and can be optioned up with the right software option keys?

Looking forward to picking one this coming week once the store has received it into stock.

https://www.rigolna.com/products/waveform-generators/dg1000z/

Edit: It seems the latest spec sheets for the DG1000z now displays both the 1022z and the 1032z as generating up to 25 MHz square waves. Must be misprint on some spec sheets displayed earlier!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 09:05:30 am by 1anX »

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
A cheaper solution might be to use a comparitor as a buffer.

As you're going for low frequency there are a lot to choose from up to quite high voltages.

I've been doing a similar thing but at much higher frequencies. My 33522 only produces sin up to 30MHz officially but by using the arb I can produce a sin of 99MHz at 140mVpp which is enough to trigger my DC1766A clock buffer (the buffer is LTC6957 - the DC1766A is the demo board) which produces nice square waves with less than 800psec rise and fall times.

The big problem with ARBs is jitter. The following article describes the issues very well:
http://m.eet.com/media/1128699/12978-choosing_a_waveform_generator_the_devil_is_in_the_details.pdf

Extending the memory helps the jitter if you use arbs rather than the built-in square waves.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 10:36:42 am by jpb »

Offline GRA

Hello! I bought myself a Rigol DG1022z.
The question is whether it can be updated (hacked) programmatically to DG1062z? Maybe someone already did it.  :bullshit:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf