Author Topic: usb scop  (Read 3936 times)

Offline kjn4685Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
usb scop
« on: April 03, 2015, 01:55:21 am »
Hi there everybody on the forum.
I need to know if a usb scope would be good enough for my bench. The reason I am asking is I can't afford a digital oscilloscope. So I am asking are scopes any good. If they are what kind of scope could I buy.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Re: usb scop
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 05:14:33 am »
I would like to give you some advice, but you give no price range and what you are interested in doing with it.

Generally, USB scopes give you less performance for the $ than real scopes.

One suggestion, search for "Digilent Analog Explorer".

Offline daybyter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 12:15:28 pm »
There is loooong thread on the hantek 6022be in the test gear subforum.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 12:35:51 pm »
Hi there everybody on the forum.
I need to know if a usb scope would be good enough for my bench. The reason I am asking is I can't afford a digital oscilloscope. So I am asking are scopes any good. If they are what kind of scope could I buy.

They *can* be good, but the good ones aren't cheap - not really much cheaper than the equivalent DSO.

OTOH it all depends on what sort of signals you want to look at (which is still a secret...)

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 02:09:50 pm »
The ones that are cheaper than the entry level DSOs are junk. They are sluggish, have low sample rates, bandwidth and are prone to crashing. Don't waste your money. Buy a real scope it's cheaper.

Offline SaabFAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 02:24:53 pm »
If your Budget is up to 100€, you might consider a DSO203, aka DSO Quad instead. It offers similar performance to USB-Scopes in that region, but you can take it with you and don't have to carry your PC/Laptop with you.
The user-interface is a bit fiddly though and the max. Voltage is limited to 60V, but you get 2 Probes and there are some quite interesting apps available for it.

If you're just using it at home and you have the space, you should try to get your hand on some used equipment. Combiscopes with Analog and digital functions are pretty nice. Especially those with on-screen readouts. Saves you the trouble of measuring with the ruler on the screen and you get the closest representation of the real waveform :) They are a bit more expensive, but from time to time you can get one cheap.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 02:54:55 pm »
Pretty much ANY scope is better than no scope at all. USB or old bench type analog, or whatever, just buy the best you can afford at the moment and don't worry about it.

Offline kjn4685Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 05:15:43 pm »
Thanks to all. I have a analog scope, but I wanted a scope that I could see the rise and falls like in a power suppy and capture the wave forum. With my analog oscilloscope I can't capture it. I also want something with a memory to. My budget is 100 USD.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 09:23:33 pm »
I'd guess tthe Hantek 6022 is probably the best option, unless you can tolerate one of those little nanos. Even used, the Rigol Ds1052 usually sells for over $200. You could look for an old CRO type DSO for cheap, but the shipping would probably be a deal killer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf