Author Topic: Purchase choice, MSO or DSO + LA (Hantek or Rigol)  (Read 4098 times)

Offline newtronTopic starter

Purchase choice, MSO or DSO + LA (Hantek or Rigol)
« on: March 23, 2015, 09:43:42 am »
I have been for a while been playing with Raspberry Pi's and stuff but more recently I have been using the Pi for building analogue sensing projects or things that have quite a few analogue inputs. It is about time that I invested in an oscilloscope however I do not do this as a full time profession so can't really justify spending huge amounts on a scope. Though I will say, having a piece of rubbish is equally bad even for learning.

I have basically narrowed a choice down to getting an MSO scope or a DSO + Logic Analyzer. Normally MSO scopes are a lot more however these are similarly priced which makes the decision a little weird and I wanted to see if existing users of the devices (if there are any here) have any views on them.

The choices are

Hantek MSO5054F
4ch, 1G/sa, 40Mhz
also has all the LA,AWG gubbins
Total £300 to £330

or

Rigol DS1054Z
4ch, 1G/sa, 50Mhz
+ Saleae Logic 4
£263 + £85
Total £348

Understandably views of users are opinions and it may be sometimes project dependent but getting a 3rd degree on the topic from some users more professional than myself would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:47:57 am by newtron »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Purchase choice, MSO or DSO + LA (Hantek or Rigol)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 11:34:39 am »
The Rigol is a much better scope, you won't regret it.
And the separate LA affords you some more versatility.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 01:17:01 pm »
I would go for the MSO option if the MSO has decoding capabilities. A low cost logic analyser usually has very little memory or a low samplerate. You are likely to run into it's shortcoming sooner than you will with a decent MSO.
I wouldn't buy Hantek right away though; first read/watch some review and investigate (unsolved) firmware issues!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: yo3ggx

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 04:27:17 pm »
I would go with the 1054z + new Logic 8. I have both of these products and find they work great together. You can also send the Trigger Out on the 1054z to a digital input on the Logic, so that you can synchronize across the two devices if you wish.

You will find a much larger userbase for the 1054z, and there is a reason for that. It seems like a loss-leader product, because of the features, build quality, and extreme hackability and for such an entry-level-priced scope.

The new Logic products (well, Logic 8 and up) have higher sample rates and analog sampling. They are implemented as an FPGA+uC. There was a great Amp Hour episode with the Saleae guys, which covers the products and background on the company: http://www.theamphour.com/237-an-interview-with-joe-and-mark-garrison-subtly-spelling-sayleeay/

While the Saleae products are not "high-end", they are certainly well designed and have great software. They are not toys. You have essentially unlimited memory, so you can sample for a long time and then just search the results for whatever data you wish. You can also write your own decoders/plugins if you can handle extending a C++ base class.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 04:30:31 pm by dadler »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf