Author Topic: Rigol DM3058 DMM?  (Read 2409 times)

Offline aadamsonTopic starter

Rigol DM3058 DMM?
« on: June 19, 2015, 02:28:22 am »
I have a brand new DM3058... Just plugged it in, with no probes connected to it, in it's default turn on mode (which for FREQ is 200mV).  When I select the FREQ button, it seems to read the AC voltage frequency that it's plugged into.  If I raise the scale to 2V or 20V or higher, then it goes to ------- as you would expect.

Wondering if others with this unit can verify this on theirs?  It seems strange that it would read the line voltage frequency.  I put probes on it and that didn't change.  I momentarily went to ------, but then returned to read the plugged in line frequency.

I went through the documentation and couldn't find any reference to this being what it would do.  And I'm puzzled.

Thanks in advance, and if you have one and can verify, I would appreciate it,
Alan
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 02:40:50 am by aadamson »

Offline acbern

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Rigol DM3058 DMM?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 06:14:43 am »
It is picking up ac noise which is the line frequency. short the inputs in the 200mv range and it should go away.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 12:33:03 pm »
It is picking up ac noise which is the line frequency. short the inputs in the 200mv range and it should go away.

Yes, it does. I'm just wondering if this is normal functioning?

Thanks for the response,
Alan

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 04:26:47 pm »
I called Rigol US this morning to ask about this... They pulled a unit from their lab while I was on the phone and verified that it did the same thing.  On fresh power up, in the defaul 200mV scale, with no probes or with probes connected, but not attached to anything, it seems to read the AC Line voltage that is powering the unit.

Hope this helps the next person with this same question :)...  Nice to know my AC is that stable I suppose ...

Alan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf