Author Topic: Is metex a quality brand?  (Read 7152 times)

Offline rwgast_lowlevellogicdesinTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • LowLevel-LogicDesign
Is metex a quality brand?
« on: January 31, 2017, 06:38:35 pm »
So a co worker from europe told me he had an old metex meter that needed a little love and cal and gave it to me. It is a Metex M-3270, for some reason I got all crazy excited thinking it was a Metrawatt (guess they both have Ms and are European?). So now I have this meter seems ok.. but is it even worth opening up to calibrate and adjust the zebra stripe, anyone know what these sold for when you could buy them? I cant even find a metex site that makes test gear, only a bunch of industerial sensors and im not sure if it is even the same metex.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Is metex a quality brand?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 06:41:59 pm »
I wouldn't call Metex a high quality brand. Metex made all kinds of cheap gear which was also sold under other brand names.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 12:41:34 am »
I don't know what happened to the Metex website as the link I have to it no longer works and it looks like somebody else has taken it over with the domain name now up for sale, the first decent meter I ever bought back in the early nineties was a Metex M-3650CR 2000 count with the PC interface and software, the thing has never missed a beat and still works true to this day. Back then Dick Smith sold them and I think it was around $229 AUD but don't quote me on that, I still have the original booklet and PC interface and would have the purchase receipt somewhere in a box but would need some time to go dig it out.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 01:36:35 am »
Metrix are a quality brand, Metex are just typical rebadgers I believe?

The following users thanked this post: shakalnokturn, Trader

Online IAmBack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 08:27:30 pm »
I'm not sure if it is quality brand, but Metex meters were available in my country in the late 80's (1987-1988 I believe). At this time I've bought my 3+1/2 meter, and it works till today (there was one problem - ICL7106 died, but it was on a pod, so it took 5 minutes to replace it). I know two or three more meters from this period of time, and all of them works without any problem. Also I've seen a couple of simple metex bench metres, from the late 90's AFAIR, tortured by the students - and these meters works fine till thoday too. But time flows, and very little things are like it used to be...

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 09:49:55 pm »
Come to think of it. My first 'decent' DMM was a Metex 4650 but the construction wasn't stellar. On the first battery change I wrecked one of the hybrids driving the bar graph but the rest kept working -sort of- because it needed resoldering the input connectors.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 10:48:07 pm »
Some information about Metex:

Metex Corporation, Seoul    (ROK)   

Metex Corporation; 15-4, Jamwon-Dong, Seocho-Gu, Seoul, Korea
Metex Vertretung in der BRD: Burmeister-Elektronik, 4986 Rödinghausen

And some relevant files:
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/equipment_mfg/Metex_45.html
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 12:01:38 am by Wytnucls »

The following users thanked this post: Trader

Offline mrt6644

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 02:48:35 pm »
One of my first multimeters was manufactured by Metex.  It was the top of the line Radio Shack multimeter with just about every kind of test possible.
But the best feature IMO was the Rs232 port.
It still works but it is not high quality.
The continuity test has one of the slowest reaction times of all my meters.

Offline robert_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 05:26:54 pm »
In Germany Conrad sold lots of Metex meters over the time, some of them didnt even look too bad but of course, they are not that good on the inside. Still, most of these were better than the Junk that now is sold at Conrad under their own Voltcraft brand (all of which is utter garbage).
The name probably was intended to cause confusion with (ITT) Metrix, which indeed was a very good brand.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf