Author Topic: Rigol DM3058e: Using relative mode to set a zero reference while reading dBm?  (Read 883 times)

Offline cvancTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
I might be missing the obvious but I can't figure out the keystrokes to make this work and the manual is no help either.

I'm doing some analog audio work, so I'm reading AC volts in dBm mode (example: 400Hz at +4dBm) and want the Rigol to show 0.00dBm at that level so I can directly read gain or loss in dB as I adjust my circuit.

Anyone who has a Fluke 8060 knows how easy it is to do this.  But I can't make it work with the Rigol.

When I engage relative mode the display jumps to what seems like a nonsense value (-70 something).

And the manual is.. well the less said the better, it only made me more confused   |O

What the heck am I missing?  Thanks.

Offline joseph nicholas

• Frequent Contributor
The obvious answer is: this function wasn't implemented.  But I could be wrong.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
Don't have one and can't test, but is there a dBc or dB mode?  dBm is a dB scale referenced to 1mW, so moving the reference point for a relative measurement would just be a dB or sometimes dBc measurement... I don't think it would be meaningful to have a dBm based scale with a relative reference, because then it would just be a dB*that value* scale.

So my point relative to your question is: maybe it's under some other dB mode?  I think the SCPI commands are supposed to mimic fluke and agilent meter commands, so if it were available over GPIB, I'd expect it exists in there somewhere.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf