Author Topic: Extech MM570A new backlight  (Read 4288 times)

Offline wguibasTopic starter

• Supporter
Extech MM570A new backlight
« on: September 09, 2015, 04:45:47 pm »
Just got a new MM570A, looks like they improved the backlight, but it still only stays on for 15 seconds. 

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Re: Extech MM570A new backlight
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 05:29:39 pm »
FWIW, Brymen is the ODM, and they improved the backlight a while back.  :-+

Yours is a relabeled Brymen BM859a (.pdf datasheet; photos still show the older backlight, which isn't as nice). It's a very nice meter IME (I've the BM857a).  >:D

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 05:40:29 pm »
FWIW, Brymen is the ODM, and they improved the backlight a while back.  :-+

Yours is a relabeled Brymen BM859a (.pdf datasheet; photos still show the older backlight, which isn't as nice). It's a very nice meter IME (I've the BM857a).  >:D

Is the BM859 still being manufactured? I though it was replaced by the BM869? They have essentially the same specs and are basically the same price, too.
for(;;);

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 05:54:29 pm »
The BM857S and BM859S are in production. The BM867S and BM869S were not meant as a replacements.

Offline ElectronicsNewbie

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 05:55:06 pm »
You can get brand new BM857S and BM869S.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 06:04:32 pm »
Is the BM859 still being manufactured? I though it was replaced by the BM869? They have essentially the same specs and are basically the same price, too.
Yes, the BM85x series is still being manufactured along side the BM86x series (latest models have an S at the end).

BM869 adds a dual display to the mix (and a newer enclosure).

BTW, if you go to Brymen's main page, and scroll down, there's an Senior Products (Obsoleted! No longer available!) section for EOL'ed meters.

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 06:06:53 pm »
Interesting. I forgot, the BM869 has a dual display. And it's also a newer generation. The 869 is 199€, vs. 183€ for the 859, so really no reason to get the 859, right?

Is there a way to disable the backlight timer on the 869?
for(;;);

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 07:41:51 pm »
Interesting. I forgot, the BM869 has a dual display. And it's also a newer generation. The 869 is 199€, vs. 183€ for the 859, so really no reason to get the 859, right?

Is there a way to disable the backlight timer on the 869?
For such a small price difference, I'd go for the BM869 (dual displays may not be necessary, but they sure are nice  >:D).  8)

As per changing/disabling the backlight timer, it doesn't appear you can change it on any of their meters (~30 seconds is it, based on every manual I have). That said, it's adequate most of the time (and not the end-of-the-world when it isn't).  :)

FWIW, the Greenlee DM-860A is the same meter, so you can download the manual if you want to take a closer look at how it operates before buying (click the Documents tab for the manual link).  ;)  ;D

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 08:59:06 pm »
As per changing/disabling the backlight timer, it doesn't appear you can change it on any of their meters (~30 seconds is it, based on every manual I have). That said, it's adequate most of the time (and not the end-of-the-world when it isn't).  :)

FWIW, the Greenlee DM-860A is the same meter, so you can download the manual if you want to take a closer look at how it operates before buying (click the Documents tab for the manual link).  ;)  ;D

Thanks, I went through the manual. There's no way to change the backlight timer. See, that's what really grinds my gears.

You can turn off the auto power off function by pressing select when turning the meter on. Why doesn't that also disable the backlight timer? Maybe, if I don't want the meter to turn off, I also want the backlight to stay on? It's little things like that that are really annoying when the designers get them wrong.
for(;;);

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 09:45:38 pm »
Yes, if there is one thing I hate with most multimeter designs, is a fixed back light timer. Brymens have the option to disable timeout for the meter, and to disable the beep, but the back light is as it is. More manufacturers need to provide a way to disable timeouts on the back light too.

The BM857S is a good buy but it is does not have temperature. If you need temperature and higher accuracy, than the BM869S is the better buy than the BM859S IMHO.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf