Author Topic: Rigol DP832, Siglent SPD 3303, other?  (Read 3696 times)

Offline Dan MoosTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Rigol DP832, Siglent SPD 3303, other?
« on: December 03, 2017, 11:45:13 pm »
Looking to get a nicer bench supply. Mostly because they are the models I'm most aware of that do what I want, the silent and rigol units are what I'm currently deciding between, although I'm open to other options in the same price/features range.

The triple outputs is huge to me. I want that for sure.

Linear is a must. No switching supplies.

I'm a hobbiest that does everything from audio, to homebrew computer stuff. This is mostly fun/educational for me. As such, tons of features to play with is a good thing!

I like that the Siglent seems to be cheaper, yet as full featured as the Rigol. I'm concerned about videos I've seen showing loose holding banana jacks. Is that site a thing, or has it been addressed?

Milliamp resolution on the current display would be nice, but I believe it is not standard on either, correct?

Thoughts?

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
Re: Rigol DP832, Siglent SPD 3303, other?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 11:50:26 pm »
The loose jacks were corrected in the first couple of months, jack spacing is still nonstandard, but I really haven't run into that as an issue using my SPD3303X-E, do note, however, that the SPD 3303 comes in a bunch of flavors, and the current versions are the X and the X-E.

The finer voltage and current resolution is an option in both cases, and not a cheap one given the price of the unit.  I ended up going with the Siglent after finding a deal and have been happy with it.  I'm sure the Rigol is a good unit, and while I like the look a little better, I think it may be physically larger (especially with the corner bumpers).

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 12:36:37 am »
Did you look at the Keysight E36300 series as well? It is way more expensive but I ended up buying one because of the high readback precision and extra low current measurement range. It basically saves me from needing to buy extra multimeters to measure voltage and current accurately. BTW you can win a E36312 (3 channels 80W) every week: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/contests/power-supply-contest!-free-e36312a/. The contest is going on for another 8 to 9 weeks.

If you don't need all the bells and whistles then the GW Instek GPE-3323 or GPE-4323 might be worth taking a look at. Similar accuracy compared to the Rigol and Siglent supplies you are looking at but cheaper.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 01:03:20 pm »
I started an opinion poll about the RIGOLs

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/what-is-your-opinion-of-the-quality-of-the-rigol-dp832(a)/msg1856247/#top

Please give a rating of your own experiences with this stuff - good or bad, whatever it may be.

Thanks
  Wolfgang

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 06:26:26 pm »
jack spacing is still nonstandard

I do not understand why this is still sometimes the case on modern instruments. I really like using banana to bnc adaptor + bnc-bnc cable for low power connections, as it makes wiring more tidy than 2 banana cables, and probably a bit better to avoid noise pick-up also. The DP832 does this ok, but it was not something I checked before I bought it. Siglent should fix this in future models, it does not cost anything more and has no disadvantages at all. As to high res option, with riglol you can enable this for "free" on the DP832

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 06:32:16 pm »
I dont see a good reason for any other distance than 19mm. This was the standard for (european) power plugs first, and it was adapter for a majority of adapters of all kind.
The only logical reason could be an urge to sell (overprized) proprietary adapters (Apple is a master in that).
It could also be it was bluntly forgotten by a beginner in design work.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf