Author Topic: Rigol DP832 analog board protocol  (Read 1538 times)

Offline isbTopic starter

Rigol DP832 analog board protocol
« on: July 16, 2018, 03:08:18 pm »
After years of service, my DP832 gave up a ghost. The processor board won't boot any more. I checked the voltages and tried to isolate the problem with no success. There's not much else I can check or replace on that board so I think I'll just let this one go.

Although... the two analog boards seem to be fine. A quick look around revealed communication is done using isolated UART at 115200 with another 2 isolated signals (output enable maybe?). I haven't done any more of RE in hopes that someone else can't keep their logic analyzer to themselves. ;)

So! Has anyone reverse engineered the protocol used to control those boards? Or at least captured some packets.

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DP832 analog board protocol
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 03:15:33 pm »
Have you tried to reinstall the firmware? How did your unit die, at turn-on or while using? Do you see anything appearing on the display when you turn the power on? With some more description of the issue it might be solvable after all...

Offline isbTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 03:53:59 pm »
It just failed to start one day. It did have the well known overheating problem even with improved heat sink. It was so rare though that I didn't bother to fix it.

I didn't try to re-flash it. Rigol wants SN and current version when requesting firmware update. I guess they'll make exception but it's still a PITA.

I suspect the logic board failure is a bit more involved because I couldn't see any FLASH IO activity on the scope.

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 07:24:04 pm »
You can download rigol firmware from here without SN and Version:

http://int.rigol.com/Support/SoftDownload/3
http://www.rigol.com/Support/SoftDownload/3

If you had problems with overheating, did you check the 3-pin regulator is still working correctly? Or more in general, did you check all power supply voltages of the board?

Edit: added rigol.com link as it contains more recent versions
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 07:27:21 pm by _Wim_ »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf