Author Topic: Extech MN62 Photos & Request for Opinions  (Read 4487 times)

Offline Scott_STopic starter

Extech MN62 Photos & Request for Opinions
« on: September 18, 2015, 02:38:55 am »
Hey there!

I recently purchased an Extech MN62 @ Canadian Tire here in Canada, and just wanted some opinions regarding the construction; I personally am realistically just getting into electronics and wanted a basic meter and found this guy for $50 CAD (on clearance from $100). I don't plan on even dipping my toes in any voltages higher than 24V, but just wanted to make sure that this was worth $50.

There unfortunately isn't too much information on it as from what I understand it is a "[National Store] brand exclusive" product.

The specs are as follows (C/P'd from their FAQ):
Code: [Select]
Model : Extech MN62
Counts :4000
Bar Graph : no
Data Hold : yes
Max/Min/Average : Min/Max only
Relative: yes
Low Impedance Mode: no
Low Pass Filter : yes
IEC 1010 CAT : III
Basic DCV Accuracy : 0.50%
AC/DC Voltage : 600V
AC/DC Current : 10A
Resistance : 40M?
Capacitance : 99.99mF
Frequency : 10MHz
Temperature : -40 to 1832°

Here are the photos of the PCB:

Large Version

Large Version
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 02:45:49 am by Scott_S »

Offline Scott_STopic starter

Re: Extech MN62 Photos & Request for Opinions
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 02:53:53 am »
So, after a little bit of research, it actually appears to be a rebranded UNI-T UT139B with the temperature ability removed, thus basically answering my questions; I am still curious as to whether or not this is a decent meter for the money I paid for it.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 02:58:27 am »
It tells you on the PCB that the OEM is UNI-T. The meter is the UT139B which sells for about $40.00 direct from China. Same as 139C, but with a lesser 4,000 count and no temperature function. It should be quite safe on mains.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 03:00:22 am by Wytnucls »

Offline singapol

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 04:00:34 am »
It tells you on the PCB that the OEM is UNI-T. The meter is the UT139B which sells for about $40.00 direct from China. Same as 139C, but with a lesser 4,000 count and no temperature function. It should be quite safe on mains.

Yes, it's a rebranded UT139B 4000 count meter. The better one would be UT139C 6000 count more accurate and more features like measuring caps to 100k uf. NCV ( non contact ac voltage detection like
checking for ac wiring hidden in walls ...hopefully it's sensitive enough) and most important true rms for ac voltage which is also on the B version.

Overall quite decent meter protection as you can see 2 ceramic fuses with PTC resistors for over voltage and current protection but that does not mean you can anyhow abuse it like switching to resistance rage while the probes are connected to high voltage and current source like your wall ac sockets. Yeah you got your money's worth.

PS: Repair note, on my 139C version, 2 smt caps on the left side developed high esr problem resulting in higher resistance when probes are shorted for resistance range. I replaced these with through hole e-caps as I could not bother getting smt types. After replacement "zeroing" resulted in the lowest ohm reading of 0.3 ohm which is back to normal. :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 09:08:11 am by singapol »

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 06:44:32 am »
I recently purchased an Extech MN62 @ Canadian Tire here in Canada, and just wanted some opinions regarding the construction;
If you need a second meter and can wait for the sale, see this Canadian Tire multimeter thread.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/canadian-tire-mastercraft-dmm-new-and-old-revision-teardown/

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 05:09:09 am »
For those interested in a video review on the MN62, see

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf