Author Topic: Rigol DP832 - Firmware list and bugs  (Read 309530 times)

Offline SparkyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Rigol DP832 - Firmware list and bugs
« Reply #200 on: January 15, 2015, 07:44:52 am »
Noticing odd artifacts in the linearity of the DP832 DAC (see https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/noob-dac-linearity-in-the-dp832/msg586741/#msg586741), I decided to write a script to calibrate the DP832 using TooOldForThis and ted572's instructions from this thread.

The script is written in Matlab. Be gentle, this is my first Matlab script  :-[
I decided to use Matlab because a) I had never tried Matlab, b) I wanted easy graphing (not relevant to this script) and c) I wanted to get going quickly with SCPI and Agilent had several nice examples for the 34461A in Matlab.
Porting to C or Python should be reasonably straightforward. This is straight SCPI and there is no weird Matlab-ism except for one-dimensional arrays being multi-dimensional and starting at 1 |O

The script is meant to be used with a DP832 and a 34461A. Other DMMs should be easy to add, but the current measurements require a step at 3.2A which can be challenging for many (like a plain 34401A). The 34461A has a 10A input, which turns out to be handy for this purpose.

Please read the notes carefully before using.

Thanks for your contribution!  This is excellent and is a great example of building on TooOldForThis's and ted572's earlier work.  I had a quick look at the .m file and will give it a run on the weekend; I'll post then with some feedback.  I hope it is okay with you if I add a link to your post from post #1 so people can find your calibration work easy.

Regarding Agilent 34461A and MATLAB scripts, you may be interested in a simple data logging script I posted here; it is based on some Agilent examples.

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #201 on: January 15, 2015, 05:54:58 pm »
Regarding Agilent 34461A and MATLAB scripts, you may be interested in a simple data logging script I posted here; it is based on some Agilent examples.

Thanks. I had seen your post, but my first order of business was to characterize the DP832 with the 34461A (as a learning vehicle for both Matlab and SCPI), which itself dragged me into this calibration script. Now I am going to have more time to look at other uses and your high-speed script is on my list.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #202 on: January 18, 2015, 01:51:25 am »
The script is written in Matlab. Be gentle, this is my first Matlab script  :-[
I decided to use Matlab because a) I had never tried Matlab, b) I wanted easy graphing (not relevant to this script) and c) I wanted to get going quickly with SCPI and Agilent had several nice examples for the 34461A in Matlab.

LaurentR: I tried your calibration script this afternoon (with DP832 and DMM was a 34461A) and it worked great!  I did have to make a couple of changes for my setup, but there were no problems with your script that I found. 

The changes I made are:
1. To use Agilent VISA drivers instead of NI, so I changed 'ni' to 'agilent' where you define the VISA driver name.
2. I am using MATLAB R2012a, which does not have 'datetime' function so I had to change
Code: [Select]
datestr(datetime('today'),'mm/dd/yyyy')to
datestr(now,'mm/dd/yyyy')
Thank you very much, it makes calibration of DP832 a relatively quick and painless task.  My DP832 is now in better agreement with measured values and definitely worth my time to do the calibration.

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #203 on: January 18, 2015, 06:43:42 am »
LaurentR: I tried your calibration script this afternoon (with DP832 and DMM was a 34461A) and it worked great!  I did have to make a couple of changes for my setup, but there were no problems with your script that I found. 

The changes I made are:
1. To use Agilent VISA drivers instead of NI, so I changed 'ni' to 'agilent' where you define the VISA driver name.
2. I am using MATLAB R2012a, which does not have 'datetime' function so I had to change
Thank you very much, it makes calibration of DP832 a relatively quick and painless task.  My DP832 is now in better agreement with measured values and definitely worth my time to do the calibration.

Thanks!
I'll modify that and I'll streamline some of the code based on what you did in your datalogging code.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #204 on: January 18, 2015, 06:52:03 am »
Thanks!
I'll modify that and I'll streamline some of the code based on what you did in your datalogging code.

No problem, and sounds good!  I hope you will post the update :)

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #205 on: January 18, 2015, 07:01:30 am »
No problem, and sounds good!  I hope you will post the update :)

Will do.
As it happens, I just got a used 34401A and I am battling the drivers and Matlab and it's not pretty. I finally got DMM Utility and Benchvue to work with the NI drivers in exactly one serial config (9600/8/no) - nothing else works - and in Matlab, I see the DMM and can talk to it but I have flow control issue. Everything runs fine slowly. But at speed, the first query just times out. Very annoying.

Offline megik

« Reply #206 on: January 19, 2015, 01:14:18 pm »
as a beginner, and who else can write a script for Rigol dm3058 (3068) ??

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #207 on: January 19, 2015, 03:53:13 pm »

If you actually own a DM30x8 and Matlab, I think it would be a good project to port the script to the Rigol :-) The DMM portion is really not complicated and since the 30x8 and the 34461A are both more or less compatible with the 34401A, you'll find you have nothing or close to nothing to change.

In its current state, the script runs all the steps except for the commit to calibration memory, so there is no risk to do anything bad to the DP832 (just be careful with the max current on your DMM to avoid blowing a fuse).

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #208 on: February 05, 2015, 08:01:41 am »
I installed the 01.13 firmware release onto my DP832 and updated the first post.  Here are some notes:

- All installed options (accuracy, etc.) remain enabled.
- Temperature measurement/display bug is fixed.  In addition, the temperature is displayed on the detailed system info screen (Utility > SysInfo > M1 > M3 > M2), rather than the "Test/Cal" screen.
- Analog board version updated to: 01.02.03.01.02.03
- Keyboard version still at 01.01
- Bootloader version still at 01.09.  If you already have bootloader 01.09 from a prior firmware release (e.g. 01.11) then no need to update the bootloader again. 

I wonder if someone can check if the calibration bug has been resolved??

Firmware: Download here

I just applied the 01.13 update (was on 01.11) to the DP832 I received about a month ago. Was already on 01.09 bootloader, but applied the .13 main update and analog board 1 and board 2.

I now read:

Digital Version: 00.01.13.00.01
Analog Version: 02.02.03.02.02.03
Boot Version: 01.09
Keyboard Version: 01.01

The analog version shows .03 segments in it, which seems higher than I've seen anyone else list? Before I applied the update, the analog version was all .02s.

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #209 on: February 05, 2015, 06:02:17 pm »
I installed the 01.13 firmware release onto my DP832 and updated the first post.  Here are some notes:

- Temperature measurement/display bug is fixed.  In addition, the temperature is displayed on the detailed system info screen (Utility > SysInfo > M1 > M3 > M2), rather than the "Test/Cal" screen.
- Bootloader version still at 01.09.  If you already have bootloader 01.09 from a prior firmware release (e.g. 01.11) then no need to update the bootloader again. 

I just applied the 01.13 update (was on 01.11) to the DP832 I received about a month ago. Was already on 01.09 bootloader, but applied the .13 main update and analog board 1 and board 2.

I now read:

Digital Version: 00.01.13.00.01
Analog Version: 02.02.03.02.02.03
Boot Version: 01.09
Keyboard Version: 01.01

The analog version shows .03 segments in it, which seems higher than I've seen anyone else list? Before I applied the update, the analog version was all .02s.

Sparky's post that you quote shows 01.02.03.01.02.03, so it has the .03 segments (the 01.13 update does update the analog board firmware). I have the same 01.02.03.01.02.03 version. I guess you must have a newer analog board v02.

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
« Reply #210 on: February 07, 2015, 04:18:40 am »

You can actually put the DM30x8 Rigols into Agilent mode and they recognize a good number of the agilent commands
the Programming guide tells you what it does not recognize and from a quick look this script should run on the DM30x8 when put into Agilent mode.   you can find it in the Utilities menu

Sandra
(Yes, I am a Woman :p )

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #211 on: February 07, 2015, 04:59:16 am »

If you have Matlab and Visa drivers installed and working and are willing to assist, I can try to update my script according to the Rigol's programming guide to see if there is any incompatibility, but you'll have to try it yourself and report any issue.

You can actually put the DM30x8 Rigols into Agilent mode and they recognize a good number of the agilent commands
the Programming guide tells you what it does not recognize and from a quick look this script should run on the DM30x8 when put into Agilent mode.   you can find it in the Utilities menu

Sounds like a great idea. A quick look at the DM3068 programming manual shows that it should be reasonably easy to just ifdef a bit of the initialization and then everything should work. The Rigol even support the 34401-style CONF:CURR:DC command with the "10A" range (which is required to support the 3.2A during calibration) even though the 34401A itself doesn't have that range, so it looks all good.

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #212 on: February 16, 2015, 05:49:22 am »

The changes I made are:

Some cleanup, Sparky's mods added and tentative DM3068 support (untested). See original post:

Offline clivew

• Contributor
« Reply #213 on: February 25, 2015, 01:35:42 am »
Totally brilliant solution by the looks of it, I have spent lots of hours trying
to calibrate this thing!
All I need now is a dummies guide on how to get matlab going with my
34401a + 34430a shunt.
I know it's a dumb question, and the info is out there somewhere, but I am
really old now!
Thanks for the valued input LaurentR also TooOldForThis and ted572
and Sparky of course!!

The changes I made are:

Some cleanup, Sparky's mods added and tentative DM3068 support (untested). See original post:

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 01:39:36 am by clivew »

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #214 on: February 25, 2015, 01:55:53 am »
Totally brilliant solution by the looks of it, I have spent lots of hours trying
to calibrate this thing!
All I need now is a dummies guide on how to get matlab going with my
34401a + 34430a shunt.
I know it's a dumb question, and the info is out there somewhere, but I am
really old now!
Thanks for the valued input LaurentR also TooOldForThis and ted572
and Sparky of course!!

I can help. I also have a 34401A at home (no shunt though), so I can update the script and test it before sending it to you.

The biggest issue is connectivity. Are you using serial or GPIB for the 34401A? Serial is a royal pain (see this thread).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:10:52 am by LaurentR »

Offline clivew

• Contributor
« Reply #215 on: February 25, 2015, 08:16:22 pm »
I was going to try RS232.

Maybe it'll all end in tears!

Many thanks for the help LaurentR

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #216 on: February 25, 2015, 08:26:22 pm »
I was going to try RS232.

Maybe it'll all end in tears!

No, no. I have already gone through the ordeal, so that other people don't have to.

If you can hack an RS232 cable (like the null modem cable you need to connect the USB>RS232 adapter to the 34401A) or create a small RS232 dongle (get a male and female connectors and wire), then you can get a 100% reliable connection in Matlab, which is much preferred  ;)
If you're willing to go that route, look at the thread and pm me (or respond to this or the other thread) and I'll be glad to help.

BTW, I don't know where you're getting Matlab from, but you'll need the Instrument Control Toolbox option to connect to the instruments.

Offline clivew

• Contributor
« Reply #217 on: February 26, 2015, 01:14:23 am »
Ok, I read both threads and realised I have to swap some connections on
the 9 pin RS232 connectors, I'm happy with that.
Now to try to find the programms!

Offline Zandor

« Reply #218 on: March 01, 2015, 04:55:09 am »

I tried to download the 00.01.13 firmware update from Sparky's link, but it got blocked as malicious.  Is anyone else hosting this?

Can you check it Sparky?

I also went to request it direct from Rigol, but found the form was already filled in with some ones information.  I would prefer to not have the same thing happen to me.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline OldNeurons

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #219 on: March 01, 2015, 10:29:48 am »

I tried to download the 00.01.13 firmware update from Sparky's link, but it got blocked as malicious.  Is anyone else hosting this?

Can you check it Sparky?

I also went to request it direct from Rigol, but found the form was already filled in with some ones information.  I would prefer to not have the same thing happen to me.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

There is nothing malicious in the archive. This is the one I used to upgrade my DP832.
Are you using Chrome?
If it's the case, as soon you get the warning from Chrome click on "Display all downloads" on the bottom right, then "Get the malicious file".
That's all.

P.S.: not sure that my translation is O.K., I'am using a french version of Chrome.
Also, do not forget to update analog boards 1 and 2 after the upgrade (see attached instructions from Rigol).

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #220 on: March 13, 2015, 01:28:38 pm »
Folks

I have a weird over current protection problem on ch 1 and ch 2 of my DP832 in that it doesn't always work. It does work consistently on ch 3.

After the first OC trip, turn the channel back on, then try to trip it again. Instead of tripping, it current limits (it doesn't trip) using the OCP setting for current limiting, not the current limit setting.

To get the OCP trip to work again, turn OCP off, make a change to the current limit (yes, the current limit, NOT the OCP current), then turn OCP on again. It will now trip correctly, but you will need to follow the same procedure again to reset the OCP.

Is this behaviour just me????

Digital: 00.01.13.00.01
Analog: 01.02.03.01.02.03
Boot: 01.09

I don't have an earlier firmware version to try, if someone could point me in the right direction I'd be happy to give it a go (the links on this thread seem to be dead now).

« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 01:40:15 pm by Howardlong »

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #221 on: March 13, 2015, 01:42:38 pm »
Hi,
    just came across this thread (because it popped back up to the top). I haven't read the entire thread, because I assume all issues are listed in the first post, but you don't mention the rather annoying hardware bug that the positive connection posts are too small for standard 4mm banana connectors.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline (In)Sanity

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #222 on: March 13, 2015, 02:13:12 pm »
Hi,
    just came across this thread (because it popped back up to the top). I haven't read the entire thread, because I assume all issues are listed in the first post, but you don't mention the rather annoying hardware bug that the positive connection posts are too small for standard 4mm banana connectors.

McBryce.

Too small ?   I have multiple brands of 4mm plugs and have no issues with positive or negative posts.   Wonder if you got posts from a bad batch or something.   

Jeff

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #223 on: March 13, 2015, 03:18:55 pm »
Hi,

McBryce.

I don't have the issue myself, but I assume you're talking about this:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/banana-plugs-don't-fit-in-positive-sockets-rigol-dp832/

Let me quote Sparky below, so that he adds this to the list
DP832 - Firmware versions and bugs/issues
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 03:37:04 pm by LaurentR »

Offline (In)Sanity

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #224 on: March 13, 2015, 04:42:28 pm »
Hi,

McBryce.

I don't have the issue myself, but I assume you're talking about this:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/banana-plugs-don't-fit-in-positive-sockets-rigol-dp832/

Let me quote Sparky below, so that he adds this to the list
DP832 - Firmware versions and bugs/issues

Hmm,  interesting.  My model is from Nov 2014.  I wonder if this is all related to just some bad part runs. 

Jeff

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf