Author Topic: Rigol DP832 - Firmware list and bugs  (Read 310688 times)

Online TurboTom

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DP832 - Firmware list and bugs
« Reply #525 on: August 16, 2017, 08:49:04 pm »
Yes I found similar ugliness on mine - Rigol doesn't use relays to disable the outputs and I guess to compensate for the leakage of the pass transistor (and accompanying circuitry), they implemented a pull-down resistor to some internal negative rail. The current, especially when measured with a very low burden voltage ammeter, can be considerable but may vary from output to output (or device to device) considerably --  your finding of 98mA is quite high though. I consider this problem a minor annoyance since the voltage is quite low, so damage to some connected circuitry is not to be expected.

If you want to use the supply in current control mode to feed magnetic coils for some exotic measurements, though, you should be cautious about this problem or make sure there is sufficient ohmic resistance so the (very low) voltage won't cause any significant current to flow.

Cheers,
Thomas

Online IAmBack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #526 on: August 16, 2017, 10:13:48 pm »
I received my DP832 today and noticed something strange. When i have the outputs disabled, but connected to my unfused 10A range of my multimeter, there is a significant current flow, different from channel to channel.
Channel 1: 98mA
Channel 2: fluctuating between -10 and -36mA (see scope shot for waveform on multimeter input, the other two channels are stable)
Channel 3: -17mA

When i select 1mA current limit on all channels and i enable them one by one, only channel 1 drops to 0mA (or i guess 1mA, is in the uncertainty of my multimeter :-) For the other channels i have to set a least 10mV (i don't have the high res option enabled yet) and 1mA to get the expected reading of 0 to 2 mA.

The voltages of the disabled channels are of not so much concern (especially given the cheap nature of my multimeter):
Channel 1: 4mV (off)  3mV (on @ 0V)
Channel 2: -5mV (off)  -5mV (on @ 0V)
Channel 3: -1mV (off) -1mV (on @ 0V)

Did anyone observe the same effect, i couldn't find anything mentioned so far but i might have missed it.
My DP832 came with firmware version: 00.01.14.00.03 and analog boards: 03.02.04.03.02.04
Lover currents, but I also see them...

Offline Tim5000

• Contributor
« Reply #527 on: September 11, 2017, 05:43:26 pm »
1. LM317 voltage regulator overheating and causing shutdown
Rigol have "resolved" this issue with a v02.10 board revision as shown in these photos by Dave.  Apparently this revised board is shipping in all new units manufactured from roughly Oct/Nov 2013.  For units manufactured before that date, Rigol plans to replace units with older boards for free.
>> DIY: A number of users have posted custom fixes, typically replacing the LM317 for an alternate regulator.  Refer to this post by ted572 for a professional looking and inexpensive solution ($1.44), which would probably save time as well.

Hi, Is there a way to tell if my device is afflicted by this without taking it apart and breaking the Warranty seal? i.e. a specfic serial number etc?
I guess it's probably too old to worry about the warranty now anyway but I'd still prefer not to if there's an easy way to tell. :)

Thanks.

EDIT: I managed to shine a torch through the vents on the right hand side and could just see the top board version.
It looks like I've got the 2.10 board so it must have got caught early on :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 06:33:36 pm by Tim5000 »

Offline Silveruser

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #528 on: September 28, 2017, 01:37:11 am »
RE RANDOM REBOOTS

Back on page 18 or so there were mentions of random reboots, I've seen them before and while sitting reading the forum another just happened. Low load on one channel, screen saver on, channel shuts off and system reboots leaving channel off.

Has anyone ever found a solution for this or it just so rare? I've had it running for days without problems then tonight about an hour on it reboots.

George

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #529 on: September 28, 2017, 07:21:58 am »
RE RANDOM REBOOTS

Back on page 18 or so there were mentions of random reboots, I've seen them before and while sitting reading the forum another just happened. Low load on one channel, screen saver on, channel shuts off and system reboots leaving channel off.

Has anyone ever found a solution for this or it just so rare? I've had it running for days without problems then tonight about an hour on it reboots.

George

I never had random reboots. Im powering a AD584 to age it, the whole day and no problems so far or in the past.
http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

Offline ornea

• Supporter
« Reply #530 on: September 28, 2017, 11:50:25 am »
From the lack of responses it looking like the reboots and (network drop outs) are rare.

I have been wanting to take it apart to look for signs of over heating etc.

Being intermittent is gonna make it tricky.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #531 on: September 28, 2017, 12:12:15 pm »
My DP832 had one random reboot in 2+ years of extensive use. The unit had been powered for less than 5 minutes and had all channels disabled at the time, so I doubt it's a heat issue.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #532 on: September 28, 2017, 08:22:33 pm »
I got mine today! Played around with it, and it works nice. User interface requires some learning, but isn't incomprehensible.
But I notices it doesn't beep on OCP/OVP trip, can you make it beep when OCP/OVP trips? If not, this will be my feature request.

Offline firstcolle

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #533 on: March 04, 2018, 09:40:42 am »
hi,

i'm experiencing random reboot (once per week??) even after 1 minute from powering on the PSU, so I tend to exclude the overheating problem mentioned here on the forum.. anyone with the same issues? possible fix?

firmware is the latest 00.01.14

thanks in advance

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #534 on: May 09, 2018, 01:17:33 pm »
Dear all,

I bought a DP832 for our physical computing lab some time ago and barely used it.
Today I had it powering an LED with 30 V / 0,025 A and after about two minutes the channel simply stopped putting out voltage. Now both 30 V channels are dead, putting out 0 V, 5 V channel still working.

Firmware 1.14 is installed.

Is this an issue someone else ran into? Did the PSU just die out of boredome?

Edit: After keeping the PSU idle for some ten minutes, channel two no seems to be back from the dead. It was not putting out anything before, even after rebooting etc.
Channel 1 is still dead though.

I am a little dumbstruck by what is going on here :/

Thank you and kind regards,
Frederik

Edit #2:
Channel 1 shows "UR" as with Daves unit when it was fried. Think I'll have to send it back to the seller under warranty. Remarkable device. NOT :palm:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 03:56:12 pm by frozenfrogz »
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline rgarito

• Regular Contributor
  • STM32, ARM, x86, FPGA, Firmware, Linux/FreeBSD
« Reply #535 on: August 22, 2018, 08:12:59 pm »
I have a DP832-A which I was attempting to control via LXI/Network.  When doing so, the power supply would randomly become unreachable on the network (would not even respond to pings).  Recovery meant either power cycling or re-initializing the network interface via the Utility menu. 

I spoke to Rigol and they said a beta firmware (1.16) resolves it.  I have tested and confirm that the beta does resolve it (at least so far).

The beta isn't available for download from their site but they replied with a copy of it within about 30 minutes of me sending their tech support an email.

The following users thanked this post: Sparky, nicolasg

Offline ornea

• Supporter
« Reply #536 on: August 22, 2018, 11:44:13 pm »
That has been my exact problem and driving me nuts since day dot.  Is it possible to share the file or perhaps the rigol contact.

Offline nicolasg

« Reply #537 on: November 13, 2018, 09:53:48 pm »
I never understood why they keep such a tight leash on firmwares. Its been at least a year since 1.16 has been mentioned, and its still not "public".
Anyways, i had the same lan problem and i just emailed rigol and in less than a day they replied.

Should maybe edit the main post to includee the known lan issue and the fix is 1.16

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #538 on: November 13, 2018, 11:07:09 pm »
Just 2 days ago I had the simplest of setups possible, some 6x AD587LQ to test - no external components just Vin and Vout. 15V supply from CH1 of DP832, current limit a generous 50mA. Output switched off and back on between each AD587LQ change. No heat as the PSU had been on for at most 3 minutes.

All but one of the IC's measured a perfect 9.9995 - 10.0005 but the DP832 decided to reboot on the second good device of the six. During the reboot it held the output on, it was only when it finally came back up to full Rigol operating system that it actually decided to switch the output off - and I had to manually switch it back on.

No rhyme or reason, but completely shit for a bench supply that should be trusted to be left alone to do it's job, data logging and all.  |O
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 11:10:04 pm by Macbeth »

Offline SparkyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #539 on: November 14, 2018, 12:06:24 am »
I never understood why they keep such a tight leash on firmwares. Its been at least a year since 1.16 has been mentioned, and its still not "public".
Anyways, i had the same lan problem and i just emailed rigol and in less than a day they replied.

Should maybe edit the main post to includee the known lan issue and the fix is 1.16

Thanks for your note!  I am the OP and have not tracked this thread for sometime.  I will update the first post to include information about the non-public v1.16 firmware, and that it resolves some LAN-related issues (the IP lease timeout/renew?).

Would you be willing to post the firmware here?

Sparky

Offline nicolasg

« Reply #540 on: November 15, 2018, 12:21:49 am »
Sigh, they sent me the link to the 1.14 fw. Now the dance begins to get the proper one.

Ill report back once I do get the proper one, or hopefully someone else on this thread can post the 1.16 they have.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #541 on: November 18, 2018, 02:33:34 am »
I have updated the first post with information about:
1) Rare random reboots reported by a few users
2) Rare network drop outs, resolved by firmware 00.16 (not officially released, but can obtained from Rigol technical support, or here)

Sparky

The following users thanked this post: TurboTom

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #542 on: November 18, 2018, 02:36:51 am »
That has been my exact problem and driving me nuts since day dot.  Is it possible to share the file or perhaps the rigol contact.

@ornea: I have posted a link to the firmware in the original post.  Please try it and report back if it solves your problem.

Sigh, they sent me the link to the 1.14 fw. Now the dance begins to get the proper one.

Ill report back once I do get the proper one, or hopefully someone else on this thread can post the 1.16 they have.

@nicolasg: I have posted a link to the firmware in the original post.  Please try it and report back if it solves your problem.

Sparky

The following users thanked this post: klaus11

Offline ornea

• Supporter
« Reply #543 on: November 18, 2018, 05:00:11 am »
Thanks. I got the file from rigol and installed ok. I ran my logger script fine for about an hour or so. No glitches. So far so good.
I will report back if it craps out.

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

Offline ornea

• Supporter
« Reply #544 on: December 28, 2018, 05:03:49 am »
I have upgraded a DP831 and a more recently DP832A that both had network issues.  It would randomly drop off the network, unable to ping etc.
I use python via telnet using scpi commands to automate various tasks.

It is still early days but I have not detected any issues and thought others maybe interested in the firmware rather than going thru Rigol.    (Rigol in both instances were prompt  responding)

If so where should I upload the firmware and instructions?

Note: the instructions are a little clunky and defaults back to chinese and defaults some other setting you may have set but not too hard to revert.

pre DP832a upgrade
Digital: 00.01.14.00.03
Analog 03.02.04.03.02.04

post upgrade
Digital 00.01.16.00.00
Analog Same no change

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #545 on: December 28, 2018, 05:15:32 am »

I already posted a link to the firmware (direct from Rigol) in the first post; it's still active.  Is it different to what you have?

Sparky

Offline ornea

• Supporter
« Reply #546 on: December 28, 2018, 05:27:47 am »

I already posted a link to the firmware (direct from Rigol) in the first post; it's still active.  Is it different to what you have?

Sparky

Hi Sparky,

I was unaware (or forgot) of the links you posted and suspect it is the same version.

Note: I tried all the links in the following section but all three appeared broken.

"Firmware Updates and Install Instructions"

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #547 on: December 28, 2018, 05:53:25 am »
I was unaware (or forgot) of the links you posted and suspect it is the same version.

Note: I tried all the links in the following section but all three appeared broken.

"Firmware Updates and Install Instructions"

Okay, ornea. 

For the install instructions, thanks for pointing out the links are broken.  Indeed it can happen as the files are hosted elsewhere.  I attached PDF files and they are still valid.  I'll edit the original post to remove the broken links.

Offline thn788

• Contributor
« Reply #548 on: January 09, 2019, 07:44:06 am »
At work we have about a dozen DP832A by now (all with FW 1.14) and we have seen random reboots on pretty much every single one during the last one or two years.

But even with the one I'm using on daily basis myself I haven't been able to figure out any pattern, when this happens. Sometimes it reboots after running day and night for days, sometimes it reboots within 1 or 2 minutes after turning it on. Sometimes the reboots happen under heavy constant load, sometimes during power-cycle tests of DUTs, sometimes with channels enabled but idle (no DUTs connected), sometimes while all channels are powered-off. Sometimes I'm lucky and the PSU works for months without a single reboot, sometimes I get three or four reboots on one single day. Never noticed any correlations with room temperature, either.

Very strange...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #549 on: January 10, 2019, 02:29:21 am »
At work we have about a dozen DP832A by now (all with FW 1.14) and we have seen random reboots on pretty much every single one during the last one or two years.

But even with the one I'm using on daily basis myself I haven't been able to figure out any pattern, when this happens. Sometimes it reboots after running day and night for days, sometimes it reboots within 1 or 2 minutes after turning it on. Sometimes the reboots happen under heavy constant load, sometimes during power-cycle tests of DUTs, sometimes with channels enabled but idle (no DUTs connected), sometimes while all channels are powered-off. Sometimes I'm lucky and the PSU works for months without a single reboot, sometimes I get three or four reboots on one single day. Never noticed any correlations with room temperature, either.

Very strange...

Sounds like you would be a great candidate for trying v01.16 firmware (see link in first post -- in the list of firmware)!  Hopefully it will solve your reboot problem!  Let us know!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf