Author Topic: Buy new DSOX3024A or Refurbished MSOX3034A? (corrected - 3034, not 3054)  (Read 4808 times)

Offline jimjamTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
EDIT: I previously said MSOX3054A - I was wrong. It should be MSOX3034A - this one here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Agilent-MSOX3034A-Oscilloscope-350-MHz-4-Analog-Plus-16-Digital-Channels-/191112990026?pt=BI_Oscilloscopes&hash=item2c7f38cd4a

The refurb'ed MSOX3054A is quite a lot more expensive yet again ($2k more than the refurb'ed 3034)
Hi, I'm trying to choose between two options in order to have an oscilloscope.

In Australia, a brand new DSOX3024A costs AU$4758 and it comes with a 3 year warranty and 4 analog probes.

Then there's the refurb MSOX3034A on ebay (from Agilent's official remanufacturer) for US$3899 (AU$4440) but it comes with no warranty and no probes, plus I'll have to add the cost of shipping, and the cost of at least 4 500MHz probes and find where to get just the logic analyzer probes without actually buying the DSOX3MSO upgrade....

A bit tough to choose for me. I'm worried too about the lack of warranty. Any thoughts or suggestions as to which is a more sensible option... or even.. pick a different oscilloscope?

I have weighed (for a long time) the possibility of using Rigol, or Siglent but it seems that they've all got pro's and con's. I am leaning more towards agilent primarily because it has more responsive controls and everyone who has a rigol seem to prefer an Agilent instead if they could have it.

The price is a tad more expensive than say a Rigol DS4024 (4 channel 200mhz $3,243 so it's about $1.5K cheaper than the agilent) but I figured if I bought the Rigol and not happy with it, that would be a $3K wasted rather than $1.5 extra.

I am an oscilloscope virgin, but I guess eventually I'll learn about it and will use it for years to come.

Anyhow, I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have on this. Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 06:56:21 am by jimjam »

Offline mij59

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Buy new DSOX3024A or Refurbished MSOX3054A?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 05:23:48 am »
Hi,

Please check  "Agilent MSOX3054A PREMIUM USED Mixed Signal Oscilloscope, 500MHz, 4+16 Ch" from Agilentused on eBay, comes with probes and warranty they say.

Offline eurofox

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 05:49:30 am »
Hi,

Please check  "Agilent MSOX3054A PREMIUM USED Mixed Signal Oscilloscope, 500MHz, 4+16 Ch" from Agilentused on eBay, comes with probes and warranty they say.

http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Agilent-MSOX3054A-PREMIUM-USED-Mixed-Signal-Oscilloscope-500MHz-4-16-Ch-/181399306935?pt=BI_Oscilloscopes&hash=item2a3c3dc2b7&_uhb=1

You can make an offer for a lower price, ask a lan card free to close the deal.
Unit is really like "new", new probes and warranty 3 years like new.

eurofox
eurofox

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 06:37:01 am »
CertiPrime Standard See below with exception of warranty. This unit will be sold with only 90 days Warranty!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 06:58:05 am by jimjam »

• Regular Contributor
I just realised that I wrote MSOX3054A originally. I was actually referring to and thinking of the MSOX3034A (the 350MHz one)

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
For the Aussies: I was talking to Charles from Trio Smartcal and I think they can match any price on the EBay site.
So I would get a quote of them as well. That way you get the local distributor service.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/agilent-premium-equipment-store-on-ebay/msg225922/#msg225922

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 11:06:10 am »
CertiPrime Standard See below with exception of warranty. This unit will be sold with only 90 days Warranty!

EDIT: actually you're right, the text says "CertiPrime Standard See below with exception of warranty. This unit will be sold with only 90 days Warranty!". So it will still come with all accessories new like the other certiprime items. I wonder why the warranty was changed to 90 days.

old post:

But this scope is a Certiprime standard /aka Premium used) scope, if you scroll further down:

Remanufactured by the OEM
Customization possible
Latest compatible firmware and software
Fully Calibrated
Accessories of new models
Standard 3 year warranty

If you want it from the horse's mouth, use their email (ebay@agilent.com) and ask - the staff is fantastic.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 11:11:38 am by Neganur »

• Regular Contributor
I believe if they mentioned 90 days warranty, they meant it - no mistake.
I asked them about the probes on the MSOX3034A - the listing says No accessories included. Their answer was: "It doesn't come with any accessories".

I wish they'd just include the probes and warranty to make things easier.

I might just get the brand new scope with warranty and probes even if it's lower bandwidth. I don't need the higher bandwidth. This refurbs might be ideal for people who need them as a spare and don't care much about warranty.

I wonder where they got the gear that they're selling as refurbs from? Surely not customer returns? Do they offer an upgrade program?

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
You can use the email to negotiate a price btw, you don't have to use the "make offer" function right away.

Try to ask if they could add some probes, also my guess is they would be willing to knock up to 10% off the listed price of the scope (8% should be doable) and if they won't go any lower they might add probes to it instead (or the LAN module). The N2890A passive probe seems to be pretty expensive though.

• Regular Contributor
You can use the email to negotiate a price btw, you don't have to use the "make offer" function right away.

Try to ask if they could add some probes, also my guess is they would be willing to knock up to 10% off the listed price of the scope (8% should be doable) and if they won't go any lower they might add probes to it instead (or the LAN module). The N2890A passive probe seems to be pretty expensive though.
Thanks for the tips! I goofed up by making two silly low ball offers  :palm: so I have one last chance to make an offer. I have been looking for the probes on ebay - I can only locate 1 and it's about $190 I think. Not sure how much they cost brand new.

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
I goofed up by making two silly low ball offers  :palm: so I have one last chance to make an offer. I have been looking for the probes on ebay - I can only locate 1 and it's about $190 I think. Not sure how much they cost brand new.
As you are down to your last e-bay offer, it may be worth e-mailing them first to test the waters.

My experience with them is that they generally price about 15% above what they are willing to accept so divide by 1.15 but that is the level to go in on your first offer, not your third. Also they seem very variable as to what they will accept. I think it depends on how long something has been hanging around and if they have recently reduced the price they're not keen to reduce it further.

Offline TRIO Test and Measurement

• Contributor
For the Aussies: I was talking to Charles from Trio Smartcal and I think they can match any price on the EBay site.
So I would get a quote of them as well. That way you get the local distributor service.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/agilent-premium-equipment-store-on-ebay/msg225922/#msg225922

This comment is correct. Our distribution agreement in Australia for Agilent also gives us access to "used" and "premium-used" products. We sell these at the Agilent eBay prices or if Certiprime, then at the price on the Agilent web-site. 

"Used" products are as advertised and are only sold on the eBay store often with no accessories and little warranty.
"Premium-Used" and "CertiPrime" are fully factory re-worked and are often indistinguishable from new.
Certiprime products are the cream of the crop supplied with the same warranty as new and accessories as new and are a really good deal.
http://savings.tm.agilent.com/index.cgi?PageImage:CONTENT_ID=107&User:LANGUAGE=en

We can supply the eBay items at the same price as Agilent's eBay store. The difference is you can pay in AUD, you deal with an Aussie company and we can help with accessories such as probes etc if there's none with the eBay item.

Let us know if you want something you see on the Agilent eBay site or on the main Agilent site.

Also we occasionally stock Certiprime products ourselves when we see really good deals. At the moment we have a Certiprime MSOX3054A being sold for over 50% off list price. 

List price here:
http://www.home.agilent.com/en/pd-1948452-pn-MSOX3054A/oscilloscope-500-mhz-4-analog-plus-16-digital-channels?cc=AU&lc=eng

Certiprime unit from TRIO T&M here:
http://www.triotest.com.au/shop/en/agilent-3000-series/3163-agilent-msox3054a-4-channel-500mhz-oscilloscope.html
The discount is more than 50%. It's the last one we have.

Cheers! :-+
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 05:18:48 am by TRIO Test and Measurement »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf