Author Topic: RIGOL DP832 vs other cheaper supplies.  (Read 33227 times)

Offline broderpTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
RIGOL DP832 vs other cheaper supplies.
« on: April 16, 2015, 12:29:56 am »
Hello all, my first evening on the forum.  I am an electronics enthusiast, with a AAS degree in Electronics Engineering.  I know enough to be dangerous  >:D and have about 18 years practical experience since graduating in the late 1990's.

I tinker a lot with circuits and designs as well as the occasional automotive project, so I figure its time to get a proper Power Supply and start my home lab. 

I am researching for a power supply that will suit my needs.  I came across EEVblog on YouTube and by chance saw the video about the RIGOL DP832 that Dave did.  I have since viewed all the video's I can find on this supply.

I was about to purchase a much cheaper supply (namely a KORAD KA3005-3S) but this supply took my eye and Dave's review.  The supply is currently $450 just about every where I look. 

Is the RIGOL DP832 a value, over kill or a waste of money compared to other cheaper supplies?  If you could buy another supply would you buy this one again?

I wonder if Dave still has or uses his today. 

I know this is a loaded question, but I'm just looking for opinions, other supply options or just a general idea if this supply has satisfied the masses who have bought them.  (even with the issues I found out on the forum here)

Thanks!  I look forward to spending some time on the forum and learning and hopefully someday helping others!

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
Re: RIGOL DP832 vs other cheaper supplies.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 12:46:27 am »
I was about to purchase a much cheaper supply (namely a KORAD KA3005-3S) but this supply took my eye and Dave's review.  The supply is currently $450 just about every where I look. 

The Korad you quote is $135 for a single output. The Rigol is $450 ($423 at TEquipment with the EEVBlog discount ;) ) for a triple output, so per output, the price is pretty close.

The DP832 gets a lot of good press here because it's of reasonably good quality, has a lot of programmability and is just great !/$ compared to big brand (Agilent...) equivalent.
It's all the supply most of us need.

If all you need a single supply with just voltage and current knobs, the Korad or other similarly specced and priced supplies would be just fine.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 03:50:10 am by LaurentR »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 02:31:55 am »

The Korad you quote is $135 for a single output. The Rigol is $450 ($423 at TEquipment with the EEVBlog discount ;) ) for a triple output, so per output, the price is pretty close.

The DP832 gets a lot of good press here because it's of reasonably good quality, has a lot of programmability and is just great !/$ compared to big brand (Agilent...) equivalent.
It's all the supply most of us need.

If all you need a single supply with just voltage and current knobs, the Korad or other similarly specced and priced supplies would be just fine.

With all due respect, I believe the KA3005-3S is a triple output supply:
http://www.amazon.com/KORAD-KA3005D-3S-Precision-Adjustable-Regulated/dp/B0094MTK8S/ref=sr_1_cc_7?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1429150769&sr=1-7-catcorr&keywords=korad+power+supply

This makes the RIGOL over twice the cost ($190 vs. $423)

I was allured by the fact the KORAD is 10A capable (parallel mode) and programmable.  But info is sketchy and hard to come by.   Dave's own review was less than stellar and he had devastating issue on his first use. (which I'm sure has been fixed based on follow up videos)

I was blown away with the RIGOL display, features (I may use in the future), upgradability apparent build quality when compared to the KORAD.

But I agree with your statement, it's all the supply most of us will need!  I don't think I will outgrow this with my level of tinkering and circuit design/building.

How does one get this EEVBlog discount
?  TEquipment was who I was considering buying this from!  ;D

Offline elliott

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 02:34:35 am »

The KA3005D-3S is a triple output and usually goes for under $200, though it seems to be out of stock everywhere.

This is where I got mine, I think it is very good value for money. The only other triple output in the price range is the Mastech HY3005F-3 and similar.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 02:55:56 am »
The KA3005D-3S is a triple output and usually goes for under $200, though it seems to be out of stock everywhere.
This is where I got mine, I think it is very good value for money. The only other triple output in the price range is the Mastech HY3005F-3 and similar.

SRA Solder is very respectable from what I read.  I've contacted them regarding the supplies they sell.  They sell on Amazon as well as thru their website.  My only concern with them is quality and lack of information.  I would almost rather have a long list of issues with resolutions such as I see with RIGOL than unknown/sketchy quality with a lack of support from either a community forum like here or the manufacturer. 

SRA would stand behind their stuff, but I'm not sure KORAD supports their dealer or the public in general.  RIGOL has apparently responded fairly well to all the issues, and there are a lot of engineering-like people (read~much smarter than me :-DD ) who keep up with all these issues.  I'll be honest and say I probably wouldn't even notice 3/4 of the stuff they find as it wouldn't come up in my everyday use of such a supply.   ::)

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 03:53:42 am »
With all due respect, I believe the KA3005-3S is a triple output supply:

Sorry about that. Lousy Amazon searching.

How does one get this EEVBlog discount?  TEquipment was who I was considering buying this from!  ;D

PM sent. TEquipment is a great source for Rigol and most other test equipment brands.

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 04:06:45 am »
I tinker a lot with circuits and designs as well as the occasional automotive project, so I figure its time to get a proper Power Supply and start my home lab. 

I am researching for a power supply that will suit my needs. 

What are your needs exactly?
You should consider the used market. There are a lot of affordable used Agilent supplies on Ebay.
E3630A 35 W Triple Output, 6V, 2.5A & ±20V, 0.5A

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 03:48:46 pm »
How does one get this EEVBlog discount[/b]?  TEquipment was who I was considering buying this from!  ;D
PM sent (then saw LaurentR sent you one already  :palm:).  ;D

The Korad would work as a general purpose supply, but the Rigol is a bit nicer.  That said however, the used market can offer a lot more value IMHO if you're careful.  ;) Used HP/Agilent/Keysight, Power Designs, Lambda, ... pop up regularly.  :-+

If you post your country and what you're looking for, including any special needs, it could help members post some links.

BTW, if you go into your user profile and select your nation, it's flag will display beneath your userID.  ;D Makes it easier to post relevant information for us, and you'll both avoid posting location all the time, and get faster answers.  :-+
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 03:50:41 pm by nanofrog »

Offline SimonD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 06:37:48 pm »
45+ euros more is  not cheap anymore!   :--

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 08:30:36 pm »
Thanks for all the support and answers.  I will admit I'm a bit overwhelmed at my choices.  :-[

I tend to stay clear of used equipment as I am somewhat paranoid about warranty or inheriting someone else's problems.  (You should see me trying to buy a car..lol  I'm so uber picky, but my practical side always wins out after 3-4 months of shopping and dozens of spreadsheets)

I'll look into the what you all have stated, I even received a PM from a dealer...so I'll check out their offerings and see how they fit into my plans.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 08:45:52 pm »
I probably would have bought a couple of the DP832 if it didn't have that incredibly stupid looking circle of buttons.  :palm:

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 09:47:46 pm »
I probably would have bought a couple of the DP832 if it didn't have that incredibly stupid looking circle of buttons.  :palm:
Am I the only one that quite likes the numeric keypad arrangement? It seems a better use of space than a separate square keypad and knob, looks good and is easy to use.

Mind you I grew up with those rotary dial telephones so having a dial of numbers isn't odd to me. Thankfully Rigol didn't actually implement a Strowger style switching mechanism to pulse dial the digits in  :-DD That would be something. (I wonder if there is any ancient non-comms test equipment that used those pulse dials? there must be something out there...)

Offline Stupid Beard

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 10:13:42 pm »
Am I the only one that quite likes the numeric keypad arrangement? It seems a better use of space than a separate square keypad and knob, looks good and is easy to use.

Mind you I grew up with those rotary dial telephones so having a dial of numbers isn't odd to me. Thankfully Rigol didn't actually implement a Strowger style switching mechanism to pulse dial the digits in  :-DD That would be something. (I wonder if there is any ancient non-comms test equipment that used those pulse dials? there must be something out there...)

I actually like it too. My only complaint about the dial thing is the sloping inwardness of the buttons.

I miss the old rotary dial phones. I'd like to see one of the instant gratification generation try dialing a number on one. I suspect they'd start moaning half way through 1 digit :)

Edit: Thanks, YouTube ;)

« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 10:16:35 pm by Stupid Beard »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 02:17:45 am »

:-DD

I actually rather like the round dial and button arrangement.   I do however think the rotary knob could have stuck out a bit more.  At least it has the studs on the edge to allow a better grip.  If I get this supply I would have to see how it grows on me.  If I cant live with the knob, I'd either extend it or replace it.  Dave didn't like it either, complained about it, but in the end was busting thru it like it was second nature.  :D

I'd love to hear how his supply is holding up or if he's replaced it with something better. 

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 02:49:19 am »
Well, just to add closure to this thread, I have decided and ordered the RIGOL DP832 from TEquipment tonight. (About 5 minutes ago)   ;D

There were many reasons why this supply became the one to beat and why TEquipment was the seller of choice:
* The right price (the EEVBlog discount put it over the top  :-+),
* Great features
* Decent Accuracy
* Upgradable
* Highly recommended by many
* Great support and following here on the forum
* Attractive design
* Smart Layout
* Intuitive to use

I followed up on all your guys comments, and even looked at several other supplies, including the Siglent's SPD3303C ($289) or SPD3303D ($369), KORAD KS3005-3S ($169) and although I like many of them, none came as close to my personal needs and wants.

The only negative I can think of is the total amperage this supply is capable of producing.  6A in parallel falls short of my original requirement of 10A.  But it's quite possible I can get by with out it.  The only time I would consider need more power would be for bench testing and powering up automotive head units.  (Not powering amps or driving a mega watt stereo, just power up a head unit when wiring and testing repairs and modifications.)   

The Siglent units lost out due to not having a readout for channel 3.  I rather liked the display and decent features.  But it appears to be a step behind the RIGOL.  The extra $50 for the RIGOL appears to be deserved.   The bargain KORAD was too much of a hit or miss option.  So, I'm taking the bet that the RIGOL is head and shoulders above that supply in every way.  I will swallow the <$200 difference.  :-[

Now for the hardest part......I have to tell the wife.... :o

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 09:57:41 am »
Excellent choice sir! You will not be dissapointed.

I too thought I couldn't justify the outlay compared to just getting along with a cheapo single channel switch mode and old ATX PSU's, wall-warts, etc. But believe me the DP832 is worth every penny.

My DP832 is in use every day. I love it.

Offline JBaughb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 06:16:07 am »
You won't be disappointed. I just put mine on the bench (also from TEquipment). Spent 20 minutes entering in codes for the upgrades. My fingers hurt. Still... :-+

Offline electricMN

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 02:33:19 pm »

I would also like to know how one gets the discount from TEquipment? I bought a Rigol MSO2072A from them but didn't know about the discount at that time.  :(
I'm looking at possibly getting the Rigol DP832 also so would not want to miss out on the discount this time.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 02:35:07 pm by electricMN »

Offline Stupid Beard

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 02:42:29 pm »
You won't be disappointed. I just put mine on the bench (also from TEquipment). Spent 20 minutes entering in codes for the upgrades. My fingers hurt. Still... :-+

This is a bit late for you, but you don't need to enter the option codes on the device if you have a USB flash drive. See section 2-66 of the DP800 manual (under Options in the contents), or this screenshot of it:

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 04:49:00 pm »

I would also like to know how one gets the discount from TEquipment? I bought a Rigol MSO2072A from them but didn't know about the discount at that time.  :(
I'm looking at possibly getting the Rigol DP832 also so would not want to miss out on the discount this time.

If you contact them by email or through the live-chat option on their website, you can just ask for the EEVBlog discount - they can either send you a quote/invoice you then pay, or you can place an order and then just email/chat to get them to adjust the price giving you the discount.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2015, 12:20:56 am »
I would also like to know how one gets the discount from TEquipment?
PM sent.

Offline JBaughb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2015, 12:29:13 am »

This is a bit late for you, but you don't need to enter the option codes on the device if you have a USB flash drive. See section 2-66 of the DP800 manual (under Options in the contents), or this screenshot of it:

|O

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 07:55:06 pm »
Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.    :clap:

Crazy UPS shipping routes shipped it from PA, to Columbus OH, then right past my home in the Dayton area to Indianapolis IN.......   :wtf:  So now I wait for it to travel back east to me, hopefully by tomorrow as scheduled.

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 01:00:20 am »
Enter the LAN one locally, then enter the remainder remotely!  It's a mental health thing. :)

Edit: didn't know about the USB option, that looks even easier!

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 04:02:53 am »
Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.    :clap:

Crazy UPS shipping routes shipped it from PA, to Columbus OH, then right past my home in the Dayton area to Indianapolis IN.......   :wtf:  So now I wait for it to travel back east to me, hopefully by tomorrow as scheduled.

Oh do I know what you mean.  I live in Columbus.  my DSA815-TG made to Columbus to be delivered,  then for some unknow UPS screwed up logic.  it went to Indianapolis then back for delivery the next day.  and we wonder why rates go up.   8 hours of unneeded travel time is why.
Sandra
(Yes, I am a Woman :p )

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf