Author Topic: Rigol DS1000Z now comes unlocked  (Read 38458 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1000Z now comes unlocked
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2017, 08:27:38 pm »
We have that with Machine Mart now in the UK.

I liked the Tandy (UK Radio Shack) catalogues. It gave me something to be angry at (the pricing).

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2017, 03:22:36 am »
Hell, I literally can't drive my car without an account... :)
Tesla? Unfortunately, my examples were all real life and first hand. It's ridiculous.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2017, 03:37:16 am »
Saelig recently released a video showing the different ways in which the licenses can be installed on the Rigol, might be of interest to some owners and probably belongs here.

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2017, 04:41:57 am »
Reminds me of the old RadioShack days.

The best part of the RadioShack days was that they'd always spell something a tiny bit differently becasue they were hand written and you'd end up with half a dozen of those stupid catalogs.  :palm:
Used to love those catalogues! That was before Al Gore invented the Internet. They had specs and pricing and were worn out by the time the next one came out. When they stopped mailing them to everyone you had to be fast or know someone at RS just to get one. All us nerds knew the day they were sent to the stores and tried to ply an extra copy from the shirt protector guy there. Good old days indeed. :)

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2017, 08:51:14 am »
OMG! I see Rigol still forces people to register when they want to simply download their latest firmware!?
Key sight does the same though MyKeysight even to get a quote. Other side f the coin is that they have your details/equipment linked to your account when you need support.

With the amount of money I invested in my scopes, I did not have a problem creating an account and registering with them. After all if the company is that shady that you feel uncomfortable registering you equipment probably better not to do business with them in the first place.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2017, 08:59:20 am »

Key sight does the same though MyKeysight even to get a quote. Other side f the coin is that they have your details/equipment linked to your account when you need support.

With the amount of money I invested in my scopes, I did not have a problem creating an account and registering with them. After all if the company is that shady that you feel uncomfortable registering you equipment probably better not to do business with them in the first place.
That's a non sequitur I'm afraid. I trust a pilot with my life, but he doesn't need to know personal details. Especially considering a lot of these pilots sell those details for extra cash.

Offline jgalakTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • KQ2Z
    • Blog, mostly about learning electronics.
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2017, 03:39:01 pm »
Hell, I literally can't drive my car without an account... :)
Tesla? Unfortunately, my examples were all real life and first hand. It's ridiculous.

Yes.
Blog, mostly about learning electronics: http://kq2z.com/

Online lundmar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2017, 04:26:47 pm »
OMG! I see Rigol still forces people to register when they want to simply download their latest firmware!?

For support I'm okay with registering. However, for simply downloading the latest and greatest firmware for your product, registering is nothing but a silly and completely unnecessary annoyance!  |O
https://lxi-tools.github.io - Open source LXI tools
https://tio.github.io - A simple serial device I/O tool

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2017, 06:59:30 pm »
That's a non sequitur I'm afraid. I trust a pilot with my life, but he doesn't need to know personal details. Especially considering a lot of these pilots sell those details for extra cash.

So the airline the pilot works for just knows you as Mr X?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2017, 09:24:50 pm »

So the airline the pilot works for just knows you as Mr X?
That doesn't really matter, does it? It's not a given that when you trust someone with one thing, you trust them with others. Especially when it comes to data in today's world, it's just better for people not to have it when they don't need it to serve you, unless you want to voluntarily help them with it of course.

Offline orin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2017, 11:04:38 pm »
I absolutely despise these »bonus« cards i.e. customer tracking.

A while back, I noticed prices increasing in a local grocery store.  Then they introduced one of those cards.  When the cashier told me I'd need one to get their 'customer advantage' prices, I told them they had just lost a customer.  They put the prices up, then you had to get the card to get the original price is what it looked like to me.

I will also not willingly shop in a US Safeway for the same reason.  Listen to this Safeway marketing dweebs, I have not willingly shopped in Safeway for 30 years because of your stupid card.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2017, 11:36:22 pm »
A while back, I noticed prices increasing in a local grocery store.  Then they introduced one of those cards.  When the cashier told me I'd need one to get their 'customer advantage' prices, I told them they had just lost a customer.  They put the prices up, then you had to get the card to get the original price is what it looked like to me.

I will also not willingly shop in a US Safeway for the same reason.  Listen to this Safeway marketing dweebs, I have not willingly shopped in Safeway for 30 years because of your stupid card.
There should be laws prohibiting putting financial pressure on privacy related matters. If you have a "free choice", but one option costs you money and the other doesn't, the choice isn't that free any more. Especially when these principles are applied in larger quantities. Privacy should not be a luxury.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2017, 11:37:00 pm »

For support I'm okay with registering. However, for simply downloading the latest and greatest firmware for your product, registering is nothing but a silly and completely unnecessary annoyance!  |O
To me the price of registering to receive continued support through manuals (which sometimes goes through updating), firmware and specs is a very low price to pay.
I just don't expect to continuously receive updates and support without giving anything in return.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2017, 12:30:12 am »
To me the price of registering to receive continued support through manuals (which sometimes goes through updating), firmware and specs is a very low price to pay.
I just don't expect to continuously receive updates and support without giving anything in return.
You gave them money when you bought the product. That should be enough. If your product is complex enough to warrant support and updates after the fact, it's part of the original deal.

Or you should ship a product that's perfect and doesn't ever require any updating, but we all know that's a ridiculous fantasy.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2017, 12:39:13 am »
You gave them money when you bought the device.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Online lundmar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2017, 12:48:13 am »

Ok, let me expand my point here!

If you are an instrument manufacturer and you require customers to register to access latest firmware, manuals, specs, or even MSRP - THEN YOU ARE BLOODY DOING IT WRONG!  |O

This is 2017 and the days of such arcane mechanisms are over.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2017, 01:44:09 am »
You gave them money when you bought the product. That should be enough. If your product is complex enough to warrant support and updates after the fact, it's part of the original deal.

Or you should ship a product that's perfect and doesn't ever require any updating, but we all know that's a ridiculous fantasy.
Well, I disagree. IMHO I think the money paid for the equipment is valid for some time, not forever.

See above.

Ok, let me expand my point here!

If you are an instrument manufacturer and you require customers to register to access latest firmware, manuals, specs, or even MSRP - THEN YOU ARE BLOODY DOING IT WRONG!  |O

This is 2017 and the days of such arcane mechanisms are over.
In your opinion. Capitalizing your opinion does not make it right, you know?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 01:46:48 am by rsjsouza »
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2017, 09:20:40 am »
IMHO I think the money paid for the equipment is valid for some time, not forever.

Let's see if I've got this: If I go to their web page for firmware in the first week after purchase (for example) I shouldn't have to give them all my details yet, right?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:08:49 am by Fungus »

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2017, 10:47:21 am »
I just got an e-mail from Batronix, looks like they've lowered the option pricings.
My scope was bought april 2015, and they've sent me an offer for the four (memory, decoder, trigger, recoder) for € 196.35.

Offline Efig

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2017, 02:39:21 pm »
I also got an e-mail from Batronix. Trying to milk the customers. Mine is purchased in Jan 2015.
Single option for 98.18 €, four for 196.35.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2017, 02:45:50 pm »
http://gotroot.ca/rigol/riglol/

Cheaper  :-DD

I wouldn't have bought the Rigol if I couldn't crack it.

Online lundmar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2017, 03:10:04 pm »
I also got an e-mail from Batronix. Trying to milk the customers. Mine is purchased in Jan 2015.

I got that email too. It's a bargain - I don't know what you guys are waiting for - go buy now!  :-DD

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2017, 03:28:10 pm »

I got that email too. It's a bargain - I don't know what you guys are waiting for - go buy now!  :-DD
Still, 200 is a much better deal than before. Now it is actually possible to consider it.
However, I already have the options unlocked.

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2017, 03:40:43 pm »
I don’t think they ever sold a lot of "options".
Even without the hackability I did not find the prices very appealing. Most options each were 1/4 the price of the hardware unit - not reasonable at all.
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2017, 04:03:23 pm »
I don’t think they ever sold a lot of "options".
Even without the hackability I did not find the prices very appealing.

Without the hackability it's just another wannabe.

eg. I suspect GW-Instek would have sold a lot more 'scopes without the free Rigol upgrades.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf