Author Topic: Rigol DS1000Z now comes unlocked  (Read 38204 times)

Offline jgalakTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • KQ2Z
    • Blog, mostly about learning electronics.
Rigol DS1000Z now comes unlocked
« on: December 06, 2017, 03:13:19 pm »
I ordered a DS1054Z directly from Rigol (in the US) last week, since they had dropped the price to $349.  Today I got the following email:

BND-MSO/DS1000Z for PO#REDACTED

Dear customer,

Thank you for your recent purchase of a 1000Z series scope. As a part of a special promotion, we've included a FREE license bundle that allows you to utilize all the license options available for your product.

In order to use this bundle option, please make sure that your scope is running the current firmware at the provided link below:
http://www.rigolna.com/firmware

Please use the KEY(s) in the attached PDF(s) and your instrument serial number(s) to generate your software license code(s) from the website here.

This email is launched automatically and no responses will be received. If you have any problems, please contact RIGOL sales or distributors directly.

Thanks,

RIGOL TECHNOLOGIES

I have no idea if this is limited time or not, nor do I know which options are included in "all the license options" since I've not yet gotten the scope.  Most specifically, I don't know if this includes the bandwidth upgrade that hacking the scope can get you.  From the title of the email, it looks like this is applicable to all 1000Z series scopes, DS and MSO.

Blog, mostly about learning electronics: http://kq2z.com/

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1000Z now comes unlocked
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 03:22:53 pm »
Perhaps they gave up. Or saw the Siglent coming.

• Regular Contributor
  • KQ2Z
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 03:25:21 pm »

Those are exactly my first two thoughts when I saw the email.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 03:31:29 pm »
I doubt you get the 100MHz, it's not an official upgrade.

Those are exactly my first two thoughts when I saw the email.

If you don't know about the hack then the "50MHz", no options Rigol doesn't look good next to the 100MHz Siglent.

And ... the "100MHz" Rigol is now facing the 200MHz Siglent on price.

Not good for Xmas sales.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 04:17:39 pm by Fungus »

Offline lundmar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 05:23:13 pm »
OMG! I see Rigol still forces people to register when they want to simply download their latest firmware!?

It's so freaking stupid and sooooo bloody annoying!
https://lxi-tools.github.io - Open source LXI tools
https://tio.github.io - A simple serial device I/O tool

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 05:36:59 pm »
OMG! I see Rigol still forces people to register when they want to simply download their latest firmware!?

Get it here:

http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/fs/blocks/showLandingPage/a/1579/p/p-0019/t/page/fm/0

Offline lundmar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 07:29:15 pm »

Get it here:

http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/fs/blocks/showLandingPage/a/1579/p/p-0019/t/page/fm/0

Yes, I know. The point is that Rigol should not go to such lengths to make it so troublesome to download their latest firmware. Rigol should just put the firmware with direct links on the product firmware pages and not require registration to get to those download links!

I'm sure I'm not the only one annoyed by how Rigol distributes their firmware.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:30:54 pm by lundmar »

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 07:31:53 pm »
AFAIK some Chinese companies take the firmware download as a chance to slurp up as much user information as possible for their marketing department. Geez.

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 08:40:29 pm »
AFAIK some Chinese companies take the firmware download as a chance to slurp up as much user information as possible for their marketing department. Geez.
Its spreading across all countries/industries/companies

Nvidia are pushing down this road:
https://www.reddit.com/r/assholedesign/comments/5u1m7u/nvidia_want_to_update_drivers_have_to_login/

Its becoming routine for companies to refuse to serve you unless they have your email address, phone number, postal address, etc even when none of those are required to deliver the service. The advertising networks they work with need the data to keep linking their profiles of you across as many platforms as possible.

Offline lundmar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 10:54:43 pm »

https://www.reddit.com/r/assholedesign/comments/5u1m7u/nvidia_want_to_update_drivers_have_to_login/

Its becoming routine for companies to refuse to serve you unless they have your email address, phone number, postal address, etc even when none of those are required to deliver the service. The advertising networks they work with need the data to keep linking their profiles of you across as many platforms as possible.

It's corporate bullshit that's what it is!

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 12:28:04 am »
I ordered a DS1054Z directly from Rigol (in the US) last week, since they had dropped the price to $349.  Today I got the following email:

Dear customer,

Thank you for your recent purchase of a 1000Z series scope. As a part of a special promotion, we've included a FREE license bundle that allows you to utilize all the license options available for your product.

I have no idea if this is limited time or not, nor do I know which options are included in "all the license options" since I've not yet gotten the scope.  Most specifically, I don't know if this includes the bandwidth upgrade that hacking the scope can get you.  From the title of the email, it looks like this is applicable to all 1000Z series scopes, DS and MSO.

The licence bundle contains all the available options.

But the 100 MHz "bandwidth upgrade" of the DS1054Z is not an option.

The licence bundle will not unlock your DS1054Z to 100 MHz.

:)

The following users thanked this post: 84750Erik

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 11:04:32 am »

It's corporate bullshit that's what it is!

I just typed in a load of garbage, including bad serial number, and it still worked.

This is my default action for these things. It often surprises people when I don't automatically type in all my personal details when I see a form on a web page.

If somebody insists on emailing a download link to me (which Rigol doesn't) they'll get a mailinator address.

If they're checking for mailinator addresses then they get a special email address with their company name in it that'll be set to "bounce" mode right after I use the link. Mailinator is a useful filter, anybody checks for mailinator addresses in their web page is a guaranteed asshole who should never be given a real email address.

The following users thanked this post: bitwelder, nugglix, newbrain, lundmar, 84750Erik

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 05:56:10 pm »

Dear customer,

The licence bundle contains all the available options.

But the 100 MHz "bandwidth upgrade" of the DS1054Z is not an option.

The licence bundle will not unlock your DS1054Z to 100 MHz.

:)
Well there is still Riglol after all.

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 03:44:00 pm »
Everyone requires registration to download anything now.  Even Keysight.

Offline woody

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 04:24:49 pm »
If they're checking for mailinator addresses then they get a special email address with their company name in it that'll be set to "bounce" mode right after I use the link.

I use this as a standard practice. Just create rigol@mydomain.nl as an alias. As soon as the first unsolicited mail arrives the alias gets deleted. Problem solved. And for mandatory addresses / phone numbers the supermarket around the corner is a nice lightning rod  ;D

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 05:19:14 pm »
I use this as a standard practice. Just create rigol@mydomain.nl as an alias.

Me too but it requires having your own domains/server, which a lot of people don't.

As soon as the first unsolicited mail arrives the alias gets deleted. Problem solved.

I prefer to send back a "Die, spammer!" message. YMMV.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 05:33:12 pm »

You need accounts for everything now. Want to get on the bus? You need an account. Want to get a haircut? You need an account. You want to use a discrete program offline? You need an account. It's absolutely maddening.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 05:36:06 pm »
You need accounts for everything now. Want to get on the bus? You need an account. Want to get a haircut? You need an account. You want to use a discrete program offline? You need an account. It's absolutely maddening.

All the more reason to have several fake accounts and/or ways to create new ones on the spur of the moment. Accounts which identify the other party by name as part of the identifier are especially useful.

PS: Anybody else remember being hassled for their name/address in Radio Shack every time they bought something?

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 05:49:10 pm »
On the Rigol site you can insert random data to get to the download link. The form does not even do a sanity check on the serial number, so you can just go Mr. A. B, a@b.cd Ser#1 etc.
It is bad practice to force this on customers but in return I am willing to clutter up the database of these companies with garbled datasets.
Some companies like Zortrax (desktop 3D printer) don’t even want to let you download firmware or software tools without a correct serial number.
I just noted when a friend who owns a Zortrax asked me to help with some printing settings. If I had bought the machine myself this would be returned to the re-seller ASAP.
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 05:50:48 pm »
All the more reason to have several fake accounts and/or ways to create new ones on the spur of the moment. Accounts which identify the other party by name as part of the identifier are especially useful.

PS: Anybody else remember being hassled for their name/address in Radio Shack every time they bought something?
Fake accounts still provide real metadata. They might not know your real name, but they do get to track your habits and things like your IP.

• Regular Contributor
  • KQ2Z
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 09:08:51 pm »

Hell, I literally can't drive my car without an account... :)

Offline IAmBack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 10:18:53 pm »
Here
http://int.rigol.com/Support/SoftDownload/3
FW is also "free available".
BTW, is it the most recent version?

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2017, 05:22:09 pm »

Hell, I literally can't drive my car without an account... :)
How about trying to buy something at CVS or Wallgreens. They all but demand to scan the card. Unless I need it to get a sale price I won't let them do it, but make sure they can see the card hanging on my key ring just to Africans rmem. . I have had them reach out with the scanner after I have told them no. Reminds me of the old RadioShack days.

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2017, 05:32:27 pm »
I absolutely despise these »bonus« cards i.e. customer tracking. However, I think about investigating a bit more in what I can do personally with all the RFID data nodes that are out in the wild being carried around by unsuspecting people.
I am very interested in building one of those long range RFID readers that you can carry around but need to first learn more about antennas. Don’t feel like paying a couple hundred € for one of those HID MaxiProx 5375 devices atm.
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2017, 07:26:04 pm »
Reminds me of the old RadioShack days.

The best part of the RadioShack days was that they'd always spell something a tiny bit differently becasue they were hand written and you'd end up with half a dozen of those stupid catalogs.  :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf