Author Topic: Rigol DS1000Z now comes unlocked  (Read 38426 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1000Z now comes unlocked
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2017, 04:21:22 pm »
I would have bought a GW GDS-1104B scope if it wasn't for the Rigol hack so your likely close to the mark there.

I'm not sure I shouldn't have bought one anyway if I'm honest.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2017, 07:31:05 pm »
I just don't expect to continuously receive updates and support without giving anything in return.
You gave them money when you bought the device.
IMHO I think the money paid for the equipment is valid for some time, not forever.

Let's see if I've got this: If I go to their web page for firmware in the first week after purchase (for example) I shouldn't have to give them all my details yet, right?
In my opinion, yes. Well, you would have to provide some proof of ownership - the serial number comes to mind.

I have registered to the myKeysight website and added a bunch of serial numbers for stuff I have purchased either new or used from eBay. The fact they leave the resources available (documents, specs, etc.) in a concise list for even the oldest stuff (a 3314, a 5300B/5308) is to me a nice service in exchange for a "low price".
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2017, 09:06:03 am »
Let's see if I've got this: If I go to their web page for firmware in the first week after purchase (for example) I shouldn't have to give them all my details yet, right?
In my opinion, yes. Well, you would have to provide some proof of ownership - the serial number comes to mind.

Why would I be downloading firmware for something I don't own?

I might be downloading a manual to make a purchase decision, ie. I don't own anything yet but I want to see the manual. Would you block me from downloading it? That could lead to a lot of lost sales if your competitor is more open.

How about we just add an optional section to pages called: "Give us your details, we'll email you constantly for the rest of your life". That makes everybody happy.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2017, 09:21:42 pm »
Keysight seems to do this too. To download the manual for an LCR meter, you have to enter your details. That alone is enough to make me look for other options. I just want to see whether the unit operates the way I'd expect it to.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2017, 09:24:38 pm »

I have registered to the myKeysight website and added a bunch of serial numbers for stuff I have purchased either new or used from eBay. The fact they leave the resources available (documents, specs, etc.) in a concise list for even the oldest stuff (a 3314, a 5300B/5308) is to me a nice service in exchange for a "low price".
Why on Earth wouldn't Keysight want to publicly provide firmware? Having to enter your details is just an artificial barrier and they lose nothing by just providing it, other than the chance to harass you or sell on your details.

Providing the service you mention is fine, but don't make it mandatory, unless you've explicitly stated it to be so in the overview of specifications listed on the website. Everyone is free to throw away their privacy, but making it mandatory is another thing completely.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2017, 11:46:44 pm »
Problem solved

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2017, 12:17:34 am »
Problem solved

I tend to use descriptive addresses, like registeringfor@amanualsucks.com. Some more extravagant requests are met with more colourful addresses and details ;D

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2017, 01:35:37 am »
Its becoming routine for companies to refuse to serve you unless they have your email address, phone number, postal address, etc even when none of those are required to deliver the service. The advertising networks they work with need the data to keep linking their profiles of you across as many platforms as possible.

I have a couple of secondary email accounts for just this purpose, and I try to keep my online presence polluted with just enough bogus information to make it useless.

Those Rigol scopes are getting cheap enough I'm tempted to grab one just to have a small portable DSO I can toss in my bag and go.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2017, 02:37:42 am »
I have a couple of secondary email accounts for just this purpose, and I try to keep my online presence polluted with just enough bogus information to make it useless.

Those Rigol scopes are getting cheap enough I'm tempted to grab one just to have a small portable DSO I can toss in my bag and go.
Don't count on noise to save you. The algorithms are adept at filtering it and they get better every day. The problem is that technology is better at finding patterns than humans are at being unpredictable.

Offline jgalakTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • KQ2Z
    • Blog, mostly about learning electronics.
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2017, 05:43:28 am »
Soooo, since everyone is talking firmware, my brand hew DS1054Z says "00.04.04 SP3".  The latest download from Rigol ends in "00.04.04.03.02".  Is this the same firmware or should I update?
Blog, mostly about learning electronics: http://kq2z.com/

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2017, 02:28:05 pm »
Soooo, since everyone is talking firmware, my brand hew DS1054Z says "00.04.04 SP3".  The latest download from Rigol ends in "00.04.04.03.02".  Is this the same firmware or should I update?

You're looking at the ordinary system info. To see the full info you need to press these buttons (fairly quickly or it doesn't work):

Menu -> Menu -> Force -> Menu -> Utility -> System -> System Info

The following users thanked this post: jgalak

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2017, 07:09:55 pm »
Don't count on noise to save you. The algorithms are adept at filtering it and they get better every day. The problem is that technology is better at finding patterns than humans are at being unpredictable.

Well if I had real reason to hide then I'd take additional precautions, but I figure a bit of low effort obfuscation is just enough to keep me from being low hanging fruit.

Frankly even if companies had a detailed and accurate marketing profile on me it wouldn't be of much value, most of what I buy is used, and very rarely on impulse. I tend to go looking for specific items, research carefully and then shop around before I buy. Advertisements generally put me off rather than attract me to a product so generally speaking companies are wasting their time marketing to me.

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2017, 08:52:31 pm »

00.04.04 SP3 == 00.04.04.03.02
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

• Regular Contributor
  • KQ2Z
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2017, 12:07:17 am »

You're looking at the ordinary system info. To see the full info you need to press these buttons (fairly quickly or it doesn't work):

Menu -> Menu -> Force -> Menu -> Utility -> System -> System Info

Now that I'm at the scope, which menu? There's several menu buttons.

• Regular Contributor
  • KQ2Z
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2017, 12:08:18 am »
Ah, got it!  The trigger menu button worked.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2017, 01:07:49 pm »
Well if I had real reason to hide then I'd take additional precautions, but I figure a bit of low effort obfuscation is just enough to keep me from being low hanging fruit.

Frankly even if companies had a detailed and accurate marketing profile on me it wouldn't be of much value, most of what I buy is used, and very rarely on impulse. I tend to go looking for specific items, research carefully and then shop around before I buy. Advertisements generally put me off rather than attract me to a product so generally speaking companies are wasting their time marketing to me.
This is another discussion completely, but it turns out most consumers feel they're not influenced by commercials, make sensible and well deliberated decisions and dislike commercials. It's one of the ways humans lie to themselves, and place themselves above others. Obviously, the massive marketing budgets and research done indicate something quite different.

It's a bit like how 85% of drivers consider themselves above average drivers. You don't need to be a rocket surgeon to see the problem there.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2017, 01:09:59 pm »
I just got an email from Batronix as well:

we have been able to negotiate a deal with the manufacturer Rigol for all Batronix customers of the DS1000Z and MSO1000Z series. Your Rigol DS1054Z that we sent to you on 19.09.2014 can also benefit from it.

I wasn't Rigol that approached you...?  :-X

For your Rigol DS1054Z, there are four interesting software options that you can get at a very special price now:

- SA-DS1000Z: Decoder package for RS232, I²C and SPI signal decoding and triggering.
- AT-DS1000Z: Extension of the trigger options with Runt, Windows, Nth Edge, Delay and Timeout triggers.
- MEM-DS1000Z: Memory expansion to 24 Mpts. The memory is already installed and can be unlocked with this extension.
- REC-DS1000Z: Recording module for recording and playback of waveforms.

You can now get these four enhancements to upgrade your Rigol DS1054Z in a package for only € 196.35 instead of the regular price of € 731.85 (both prices incl. VAT)!

If you only need a single license of the four, we can offer them as part of the promotion at half price!
For example, you can get the popular serial decoders license for only € 98.18 incl. VAT. Use the coupon code XXXXX in the shopping cart.

The promotion runs until 31.12.2017.

What should I do?  :popcorn:

PS: The email arrived at address "batronix@mydomain.com". It's the first email that's arrived at that address since I bought the 'scope so I guess we can safely say that Batronix aren't spammers.  :-+

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2017, 01:41:13 pm »
What should I do?  :popcorn:

Legalize it!  8)

Or, wait -- what would be the benefit, for a scope that's already well out of warranty?
Hmm...
Maybe not...  ::)

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2017, 02:27:08 pm »
PS: The email arrived at address "batronix@mydomain.com".

Nice to see other people using the same technique to deal with SPAM :) Using unique identifiers / addresses for each vendor has been working out well for me the past ten years as well. I also caught signs of a Trojan infection on a companies computer that could be traced back to the infected machine after getting in touch with their IT department due to this and keeping a record of most mail conversations.  :-+
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline xani

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2017, 03:11:40 pm »
i was using myemail+sitename@maildomain but some companies started blocking STANDARD AND VALID + character in the email...

Offline woody

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2017, 04:17:00 pm »
And then there was Samsung, that did not like samsung@mydomain.nl when I needed to apply for the 50 euro cashback deal on my S7. Fortunately they had no problems with sam-sung@mydomain.nl  8)

Offline zike

• Contributor
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2017, 11:39:19 pm »
I just received one of these and installed the (official, "$350 equivalent value", now free) unlock code. Status now reports all *available* options as "official," and they do appear to work.

It does *not* now claim to be a DS1104Z, as a hacked/unlocked unit apparently would.

But... I took it into the lab, and (according to venerated gods of Marconi, HP and Tektronix) the rise time is about 3.5 ns, and the 3dB bandwidth is something like 100 MHz... what gives?

I don't really feel like un-installing the opts just to see if it was precocious  to start with. Has anyone else tested what actual bandwidth you get out of the box with a stock, un-optioned DS1054Z ? These Rigol threads are so utterly choked with bull$hi+, you can't find anything that was actually measured.

I had already generated a Riglol hack code, but under the circumstances I'll probably keep the little guy under warranty; the better is the true enemy of the good :^)

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2017, 11:58:16 pm »
There is a bw decision here:
  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/rogol-1054z-actual-bandwidth/msg1337110/#msg1337110

I believe someone posted actual bw results in another thread.  Maybe the huge "Sniffing the Rigol's internal I2C bus" thread.  But, I can't find the orginal post.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2017, 05:35:16 am »
I had already generated a Riglol hack code, but under the circumstances I'll probably keep the little guy under warranty; the better is the true enemy of the good :^)

Other users have also found that the nominal bandwidth values stated for the 50 and 70 MHz models were conservative; although yours seems to be quite generous.

You can always try to apply the "full bandwidth" Riglol code, measure the bandwidth to see how much it improves further, and uninstall the option again if you are concerned about warranty. (Uninstall all options via the SCPI command "system:option:uninstall", then reapply the official ones.)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2017, 09:42:47 pm »
I just received one of these and installed the (official, "$350 equivalent value", now free) unlock code. Status now reports all *available* options as "official," and they do appear to work.

It does *not* now claim to be a DS1104Z, as a hacked/unlocked unit apparently would.

Yes, they show "DS1104Z" in the system info.

But... I took it into the lab, and (according to venerated gods of Marconi, HP and Tektronix) the rise time is about 3.5 ns, and the 3dB bandwidth is something like 100 MHz... what gives?

The bandwidth figures are quite conservative, 100MHz is lucky though. Have you tried all 4 channels?

(Imagine if you unlock it...!  :popcorn: )

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf