Author Topic: Rigol DS1000Z series (ds1054z, ds1074z, ds1104z and -s models) Bugs/Wish List  (Read 200940 times)

Offline fonak

• Contributor
  • !
Here's my attempt to catalog the bugs and wish list items for the Rigol DS1000Z oscilloscopes.   This should apply to the regular and -s versions, but may not apply to the MSO versions)  I'll try to modify this top post as people add their found bugs and wish list items.  Hopefully Rigol will see this thread and respond to it.

This list is for software version: 00.04.02.SP4 only.

I'll get this started by posting a few that I've come across (some of which appear elsewhere in this forum).

Bugs:

1) The new Large and Extra Large measurement fonts are nice, but they are reset to Normal on each power cycle.  This should be retained like all the measurement settings are.

2) The Select Item sub-menu on the Measurement menu has 5 check boxes implying that it should be useable for Normal font too, but it's grayed out.  The only way to remove a measurement from the screen using Normal font is a power off/on cycle.

One member has already suggested that the left side menu as a series of on/off toggles as the means for including/removing the measurement.  This in conjunction with the Select Item sub-menu (which could turn on/off the display position of an item) might give maximum flexibility and ease of use.

3) The FFT function only works for channel 1.  However it will work for the other channels as long as channel 1 is turned on.  It's actually more complicated than that for more detaisl see this thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/another-rigol-1000z-bug/msg568478/#msg568478

Wish List Items:

A) Full screen X-Y mode, the current display is tiny.

B) Decoders should allow DATASRC to be either Trace or Memory.  This is documented in the manual but apparently only Trace is implemented, so this might be a bug.

C) When displaying a math function allow the underlying channels to be hidden.

D) Compress and move the waveform to the bottom of the screen when Measure All is on.

E) Allow Measure All to be selected in the AUTO options menu.

F) Allow the left and right menus to be hidden and expand the waveform to fill the extra screen space.

G) When selecting a channel, show some corresponding channel color around the settings instead of having everything in just white.  Maybe just change the color of the tiny CH1, CH2, CH3, CH4 label next to the Coupling setting.

H) Use a larger font for the popup keyboard.

I) Save the last few file names in the Storage menu for faster access.  Maybe use the left side menu for this?

J) Allow the trace Display Persistence Time to be turned off -- instead of just MIN.  The scope would then just show each waveform as it's captured and blank the display before showing the next.  Even the MIN persistence level can hide some detail.

-Katie

Hi

Below is my list of Bugs and wishes.

Bugs:

4) Brightness slider is covered when the 3 measurements are visible in Large Font Size mode. There is plenty of space for this and other indicators (e.g. HW counter) in the lower right corner of the screen (right side of the channel selector bars)

5) Offset between channels 1 and 2 when they are both on low range (1mV). SelfCal does not fix this.

6) MATH Chanel information (e.g. MATH (CH1+CH2)     1.000V ) in lower left corner of the screen is covered when the 3 measurements are visible in Large Font Size mode.

Wish List Items:

K) Different color for MATH trace (maybe green or red). The color MATH trace is very similar to the color CH4 line.

L) Selectable FFT size for example: 128, 256, 512, 1024 points (accuracy vs speed).

M) Selectable digital Low and High pass filter for measurment channels like in the DS1052E.

N) Automatic measurements end cursor for FFT (e.g frequency and amplitude of the first harmonic and other usefull measurements ).

O) No information on the main screen about Edge trigger couplink mode (i.e. small icon or text DC, AC, LFR, HFR  next to speaker ikon in the lower right corner).

P) To small coupling icon on the channel selector bars.

R) Channel selector bar for MATH and REF.

S) Button for Trigger Coupling should be in the Trig main menu ( lowest tab), not in the settings tab.

T) A little bigger and bold font for Time Base (maybe another color - red) and Trigger Level on the upper bar.

U) Cursors A and B with a different color or shade. Faster and smoother cursor update are also welcome.

W) Selectable items for History Graph ( selection menu like in large font mode for automatic measurments).

Y)  Compress and move the waveform to the bottom of the screen when DispHistory is on. Selectable time base for History Graph are also welcome (e.g 1, 2, 5 ,10, 20, 50, 100 ms /s /min/h ).

Sorry for my poor English :)

regards

Offline DanielS

• Frequent Contributor
Another vote from me for the ability to turn menus off.

Even if menus off might not be able to allow for more waveform space if limited by FPGA resources, it would still be nice if measurements and other useful data could take this space once measurements are setup instead of menus which no longer serve any purpose.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 10:57:35 pm by DanielS »

Offline kwassTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor

4) Brightness slider is covered when the 3 measurements are visible in Large Font Size mode. There is plenty of space for this and other indicators (e.g. HW counter) in the lower right corner of the screen (right side of the channel selector bars)

Good catch, I'll add it to the list.  I think that the larger font sizes are still a work in progress which is why they didn't even mention this in the last firmware release.

5) Offset between channels 1 and 2 when they are both on low range (1mV). SelfCal does not fix this.

As noted earlier my scope (for one) doens't have this issue so I think it's hardware/temperature related and possibly not fixable.  But I'll put it on the list just the same.

6) MATH Chanel information (e.g. MATH (CH1+CH2)     1.000V ) in lower left corner of the screen is covered when the 3 measurements are visible in Large Font Size mode.

I'll note that too.

Wish List Items:

K) Different color for MATH trace (maybe green or red). The color MATH trace is very similar to the color CH4 line.

L) Selectable FFT size for example: 128, 256, 512, 1024 points (accuracy vs speed).

M) Selectable digital Low and High pass filter for measurement channels like in the DS1052E.

N) Automatic measurements end cursor for FFT (e.g frequency and amplitude of the first harmonic and other useful measurements ).

O) No information on the main screen about Edge trigger couplink mode (i.e. small icon or text DC, AC, LFR, HFR  next to speaker ikon in the lower right corner).

P) Too small coupling icon on the channel selector bars.

S) Button for Trigger Coupling should be in the Trig main menu ( lowest tab), not in the settings tab.

T) A little bigger and bold font for Time Base (maybe another color - red) and Trigger Level on the upper bar.

U) Cursors A and B with a different color or shade. Faster and smoother cursor update are also welcome.

W) Selectable items for History Graph ( selection menu like in large font mode for automatic measurements).

Y)  Compress and move the waveform to the bottom of the screen when DispHistory is on. Selectable time base for History Graph are also welcome (e.g 1, 2, 5 ,10, 20, 50, 100 ms /s /min/h ).

Could you please explain this further?

I'll work on adding these in, but some seem excessive to me, like automatic measurement on the FFT display.  This isn't a spectrum analyzer!

« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 05:15:18 pm by kwass »
-katie

• Frequent Contributor
Another vote from me for the availability to turn menus off.

Even if menus off might not be able to allow for more waveform space if limited by FPGA resources, it would still be nice if measurements and other useful data could take this space once measurements are setup instead of menus which no longer serve any purpose.

I've noted this, thanks.
-katie

Offline mamalala

• Supporter

As noted earlier my scope (for one) doens't have this issue so I think it's hardware/temperature related and possibly not fixable.  But I'll put it on the list just the same.

I have the same/similar issue on my DS1054Z. After a self-cal, no matter how long the unit was on before, there is always a slight positive offset on all channels. There is little, if any, offset between channels when only one is active (ETA: but see below). I made a few (lousy) photos of the offset stuff here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-rigol-ds1054z-oscilloscope/msg580489/#msg580489

Another "offset" issue that seems rather strange. Depending on what combinations of channels are on at the same time, the traces are either perfectly overlapping, or having a small offset between them that is otherwise not present when looking at only a single channel at a time and comparing those.

In any case, i also think that after an auto-cal the traces should be centered around the center line, with no offset in either direction. Same goes for the channel marker on the left side of the grid. The marker seems to be pointing at the bottom of the trace, not the center.

Greetings,

Chris

• Frequent Contributor

In any case, i also think that after an auto-cal the traces should be centered around the center line, with no offset in either direction. Same goes for the channel marker on the left side of the grid. The marker seems to be pointing at the bottom of the trace, not the center.

I've noted this too.
-katie

Offline mamalala

• Supporter
Just wanted to add:

In case the offset problem is due to some component variations in the scopes that the auto-cal routine can't catch, it would be great if there would be a way to manually set the offset calibration. I.e. the channel marker is pointing exactly at the center line, and one uses one of the knobs to adjust the offset of the trace while the marker stays in place, and then that offset can be stored as cal-value, if needed for each V/div separately. And that for all four channels, of course.

Greetings,

Chris

• Frequent Contributor
Just wanted to add:

In case the offset problem is due to some component variations in the scopes that the auto-cal routine can't catch, it would be great if there would be a way to manually set the offset calibration. I.e. the channel marker is pointing exactly at the center line, and one uses one of the knobs to adjust the offset of the trace while the marker stays in place, and then that offset can be stored as cal-value, if needed for each V/div separately. And that for all four channels, of course.

Good idea!
-katie

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
Wish List Items:
A) Full screen X-Y mode, the current display is tiny.
  • Increase X-Y display to full screen in square format;
  • add option to hide original source channels;
  • add persistence selection specifically for X-Y display (with zero persistence, some levels of persistence, infinite persistence with persistence reset button (so scaling and moving X, Y channels would not reset persistence, reset only via button)).

B) Decoders should allow DATASRC to be either Trace or Memory.  This is documented in the manual but apparently only Trace is implemented, so this might be a bug.
C) When displaying a math function allow the underlying channels to be hidden.
D) Compress and move the waveform to the bottom of the screen when Measure All is on as is done, optionally, for FFT display.  Also for measurement history.
:-+

Offline fonak

• Contributor
  • !

Good catch, I'll add it to the list.  I think that the larger font sizes are still a work in progress which is why they didn't even mention this in the last firmware release.

I'll note that too.

Wish List Items:

M) Selectable digital Low and High pass filter for measurement channels like in the DS1052E.

N) Automatic measurements end cursor for FFT (e.g frequency and amplitude of the first harmonic and other useful measurements ).

P) Too small coupling icon on the channel selector bars.

W) Selectable items for History Graph ( selection menu like in large font mode for automatic measurements).

Could you please explain this further?

I'll work on adding these in, but some seem excessive to me, like automatic measurement on the FFT display.  This isn't a spectrum analyzer!

1 image is equal to 1000 words :) (see atachment)

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
- Would be very useful to be able to put a user / project name on the display so when an image of the display is saved you have a reference for documentation.
- Be able to display a message from software on a PC. Ideally it would also have a Yes / No / Close button attached. I have a background in production testing and was often asked "Why can't I have a message on the scope screen to let me know?".

Offline fonak

• Contributor
  • !
Just wanted to add:

Greetings,

Chris

In atachments there are screens of my self-calibrated scope ( 1mV/Div range, all imputs are disconnected, FW, 00.04.02.SP4 ).

Thanks mamalala for this idea

• Frequent Contributor

1 image is equal to 1000 words :) (see atachment)

Got it!  Thanks for the nice picture!
-katie

Offline DanielS

• Frequent Contributor
Much simpler than that: I suspect the offset comes from the analog ground switch. Simply have a manually-initiated offset auto-cal where the user must either disconnect all channels (the inputs still get pulled to ground by the input attenuator) or put terminators on inputs for lower noise. After that, the scope can use those values to compensate its analog-switched ground until the next user-initiated calibration.

Offline mamalala

• Supporter
Much simpler than that: I suspect the offset comes from the analog ground switch. Simply have a manually-initiated offset auto-cal where the user must either disconnect all channels (the inputs still get pulled to ground by the input attenuator) or put terminators on inputs for lower noise. After that, the scope can use those values to compensate its analog-switched ground until the next user-initiated calibration.

That's the thing, i'm not certain that this is an issue with the  signal itself or if the issue is with their cal routine. At least on my unit it just looks as if they simply set the 0-point at the lowest value they see in the signal. Only in the 10 mV range the trace/signal on the screen even goes below the center line as well. In all other ranges it literally sits right on top of it. But then, looks can be deceiving, so...

Greetings,

Chris

• Frequent Contributor
- Would be very useful to be able to put a user / project name on the display so when an image of the display is saved you have a reference for documentation.
- Be able to display a message from software on a PC. Ideally it would also have a Yes / No / Close button attached. I have a background in production testing and was often asked "Why can't I have a message on the scope screen to let me know?".

I've added these.
-katie

• Frequent Contributor

That's the thing, i'm not certain that this is an issue with the  signal itself or if the issue is with their cal routine. At least on my unit it just looks as if they simply set the 0-point at the lowest value they see in the signal. Only in the 10 mV range the trace/signal on the screen even goes below the center line as well. In all other ranges it literally sits right on top of it. But then, looks can be deceiving, so...

For the record, I have no complaints about the zeroing after a cal.  Here are 4 screen shots taken 24 hours after calibration, showing all 4 channels at 1mv/div (note the probe is set to x10) and ground coupled (no probes attached).

« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 01:16:44 am by kwass »
-katie

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor

For the record, I have no complaints about the zeroing after a cal.  Here are 4 screen shots taken 24 hours after calibration, showing all 4 channels at 1mv/div (note the probe is set to x10) and ground coupled (no probes attached).

Channel 4 is the only one that looks close to normal on yours.

I don't have a major issue with this, I have other gear. That said will voltage measurements match between channels? My guess would be no not exactly.  Could be out by a couple mV.

Offline Kohanbash

• Regular Contributor
    • Robots for Roboticists
I asked and it was reported to Rigol as a change that the Measurement select buttons on the left side for Horizontal and Vertical measurements be set up as a toggle. IE: Push once for on and again for off. It didn't make this upgrade version.

Oh well, maybe later.

I've incorporated this into the wish list.

+1

I have been using the DS1074z-s for a while and not having this feature has been most my regular annoyance with this scope.
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

Offline mamalala

• Supporter

Yea, your traces are all offset into the positive direction as well ;)

Greetings,

Chris

ETA: Attached is an edited version of the first of your screenshots, that's how i think it should look like instead.

ETA2: Also, note how it mangles the rendering of the waveforms, depending on which is "in front" (i.e. selected). The one from channel two is rather thin and above the center line, while the one from channel four is thicker and goes below the center line. Yet you can barely see anything from channel four in the second screenshot, where channel two is selected. One would expect to see way more of the blue channel four below it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:59:51 am by mamalala »

Offline poida_pie

• Regular Contributor

-Katie

Yes, impliment decoding from memory. This is most useful.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
Those offset calibration shots at 24 hours are not bad at all considering the input frontend is discrete. You can hardly complain about what looks like maybe half or three-quarters of a millivolt...
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
Those offset calibration shots at 24 hours are not bad at all considering the input frontend is discrete. You can hardly complain about what looks like maybe half or three-quarters of a millivolt...

The offset is there immediately after a cal.

Offline DanielS

• Frequent Contributor
I think most people who point at the 1000Z's offset calibration are remarking about how calibration actually fails to actually make channels line up with their reference markers. Most of us would expect the references to line up with the averaged noise line, exactly like kwass' ch4 picture. All of his other channels are off by a few mV.

Adjusting the analog input bias until the ADC's average output reads 0 or mid-scale is easy, which is why we are surprised that Rigol's firmware appears to be failing at it.

I wish I could investigate a bit from my end but I have not received my 1054Z yet. Allied finally has some in stock but my account manager appears to be MIA so I am unable to complete the order. (Or maybe he is giving me the silent treatment for demanding either a pre-updated scope or an explicit authorization to upgrade the firmware with Allied's blessing.)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Does a push of the V/div button set each to 0 V as in most other DSO's?
Does this zero them exactly?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf