Author Topic: Rigol DS1000Z series (ds1054z, ds1074z, ds1104z and -s models) Bugs/Wish List  (Read 200974 times)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1000Z series (ds1054z, ds1074z, ds1104z and -s models) Bugs/Wish List
« Reply #475 on: February 13, 2017, 11:59:43 am »
showing  DS1054Z freezing.

That's a very old video - look at the date!

There was a freeze bug but it only affected a particular batch of 'scopes and it's been fixed now. You'll never see it.

PS: Would we really be recommending a scope that constantly froze?  :popcorn:

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'
Re: Rigol DS1000Z series (ds1054z, ds1074z, ds1104z and -s models) Bugs/Wish List
« Reply #476 on: February 15, 2017, 08:07:01 am »
I don't know if Rigol does anything about suggestions or wishes, but I noticed that some consistency could be gained with a simple rule:

Every one of the six MENU buttons should cycle/toggle something.

Right now, the only button which works this way is Cursor.

• Measure should cycle through the Source selections. (CH1 -> CH2 -> CH3 -> CH4 -> MATH).
  • Acquire should cycle through Acquire Mode settings. (Normal -> Peak -> Average -> High Res).
  • Storage should cycle through Storage Type settings. (Picture -> Traces -> Waves -> Setups -> CSV -> Param).
  • Cursor already cycles through Cursor Type settings. (Manual ->  Track -> Auto).
  • Display should cycle through Persistence Time settings. (Min -> 100ms -> 200ms -> 500ms -> 1s -> 5s -> 10s -> Inf).

The only one I don't have a clear answer for is for Utility. I think the best choice would be to cycle through Auto Options (I didn't even know this existed...), but that menu would probably have to be re-worked.

Similarly, the Trigger MENU button could cycle through the SOURCE settings. *This may be a bad idea because it has to switch the relays in and out.

Agreement? Objections?

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #477 on: February 15, 2017, 06:23:38 pm »
Being able to cycle through items instead of requiring the hand to be repositioned in order to operate the rotary encoder would be convenient. However, if consistency was a concern, Rigol might just remove the cycling behavior from the Cursor function, if it's the only outlier.  ^-^
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
[i stand corrected. filter bug is solved]

(can we update the bug list at some point?)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 04:39:04 pm by JPortici »

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
The "multi-channel waveform data download bug" as described here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds1000z-series-(ds1054z-ds1074z-ds1104z-and-s-models)-bugswish-list/msg862373/#msg862373

has been resolved with fw 00.04.04.SP3.

The "USB packetsize bug" is still present.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
apparently there was a new update some days ago. in the changelog it is mentioned "fixed bug about filter". it was not

see my post: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-rigol-ds1054z-oscilloscope/msg1178713/#msg1178713

And see everybody else's posts pointing out that it is:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-rigol-ds1054z-oscilloscope/msg1179107/#msg1179107

The following users thanked this post: JPortici

Offline kwassTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Is anyone reading this list thread interested in taking over the maintenance of it?  I have not been using my ds1054z much and don't have the time to test and describe the bugs reported.
-katie

The following users thanked this post: frozenfrogz

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
For adopters , does the latest firmware affect the responsiveness ?

Or at least you can "feel" that its more sluggish at certain operation that you spotted by accident or frequent operations that you used to do.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
not really, if anything it seemes that it takes less time to capture screenshots

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Ok , thanks !  :-+

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
For adopters , does the latest firmware affect the responsiveness ?

There's no concrete evidence that any of the firmwares have affected the responsiveness.

Suggestion:

If anybody here still has very old firmware it would be good to make some videos of it in operation and compare them with similar videos of the latest firmware (which I could make).

Connect up the test signal, enable one channel, move the trace up and down. Enable two channels, move the trace up/down. Enable four channels, move the trace up/down.

Even then it's quite subjective because a lot of the perceived response depends on how you use the controls. It's much better to 'twiddle' it, ie. make lots of small turns (which I've always done naturally which is maybe why I've never seen the response as a deal breaker).

If you do long continuous turns with no pauses then it's possible to get no response at all until you release the knob. If you're that sort of person who naturally does that then it probably feels much worse than it is.

I made a blurry video to show this:

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
I started a new thread for everything related to the latest firmware (from 00.04.04.03.02 onward), because this thread can no longer be maintained by the OP.
Please continue there and I will try to keep up with covering whatever issues will come along.

@Mods: Can we lock this thread to prevent forked replies?
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

The following users thanked this post: Fungus, ebastler

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
I started a new thread for everything related to the latest firmware (from 00.04.04.03.02 onward), because this thread can no longer be maintained by the OP.
Please continue there and I will try to keep up with covering whatever issues will come along.

Thanks, frozenfrog! Maybe you could ask Katie to also put a link referring to the new thread in the original post here?

The following users thanked this post: frozenfrogz

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Maybe a separate new thread for "wish list".

(Not that I believe Rigol reads this, can anybody yell Rigol to take a look?)

Offline kwassTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor

Thanks, frozenfrog! Maybe you could ask Katie to also put a link referring to the new thread in the original post here?

Done.
-katie

The following users thanked this post: ebastler, bitseeker, frozenfrogz

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf