Author Topic: Rigol DS1000Z series (ds1054z, ds1074z, ds1104z and -s models) Bugs/Wish List  (Read 201031 times)

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
@kwass

Can you point me to were in the manual it say's that?  I looked from the decode section and could not find anything that specifically says that.

Thank you
Sandra
(Yes, I am a Woman :p )

Offline kwassTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
@kwass

Can you point me to were in the manual it say's that?  I looked from the decode section and could not find anything that specifically says that.

Thank you

It's at the top of page 7-5 (page 165 in the PDF) here:
http://www.batronix.com/pdf/Rigol/UserGuide/DS1000Z_UserGuide_EN.pdf

Press DataSrc to select “Trace” or “Memory” as the data source
-katie

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
Interesting
In that copy you linked to Jan 2014 has it as you say.
I have the Jun 2014 copy and References to Memory in the Datasrc are removed from everywhere except the Storage Menu.

Sandra

• Frequent Contributor
Interesting
In that copy you linked to Jan 2014 has it as you say.
I have the Jun 2014 copy and References to Memory in the Datasrc are removed from everywhere except the Storage Menu.

So they seem to have made a half-heated attempt to backtrack on their original intention of allowing decoding from memory.   I wonder if they don't see this as a big deal for users that buy the decoding option.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 05:50:08 pm by kwass »
-katie

Offline DanielS

• Frequent Contributor
So they seem to have made a half-heated attempt to backtrack on their original intention of allowing decoding from memory.   I wonder if they don't see this as a big deal for users that buy the decoding option.
I could imagine decoding from memory being extremely useful when combined with segmented memory to record I2C or SPI packet bursts.

Offline etl17

• Contributor
But to be fair, when you inspect each recorded segment the decoding works.
What would be the most interesting use case for decoding from memory would be the ability to search for specific values / events.....

• Frequent Contributor
But to be fair, when you inspect each recorded segment the decoding works.
What would be the most interesting use case for decoding from memory would be the ability to search for specific values / events.....

True, but there are a couple of major limitations with this approach.

- I2C doens't work because the start byte will be missing.

- It's really hard to navigate through memory when you only see a tiny bit of the decoded sequence at a time.

- The even table export function is useless (with a full memory decode you could search for sequential events and do other processing)

One nifty feature that I have used is the ability to trigger off a particular, decoded byte.  If you happen to have data with a unique byte marking the data of interest this somewhat mitigates the limited decode issue.

-katie

Offline Horstelin

I think I found a new Bug:

(DS1054Z,  SW 00.04.02.SP4)

Just using Channel 4 (all others off) the hardware frequency counter was showing 120 Hz instead of a hundred until... you turned another channel on. Weirdly I can't reproduce the error after a restart of the Scope:

:wtf:

• Frequent Contributor

Just using Channel 4 (all others off) the hardware frequency counter was showing 120 Hz instead of a hundred until... you turned another channel on. Weirdly I can't reproduce the error after a restart of the Scope:

I just saw this too (feeding it 1000Hz into Ch 4 with just Ch4 on, but the counter showing <15Hz)  but can't reproduce it now.  It appears that you have to have previously used a certain option (or options) prior to trying this for the bug to show.  I tried lots of tests directly after a power on and can't make it happen again.  It's going to be hard to list this as a bug unless/until we can come up with a scenario to recreate it.
-katie

Offline DanielS

• Frequent Contributor
Messed around with my DS1054Z some more since I got it. I think I am going to bump the severity of that zero offset calibration up a notch or two from "don't care" to "nag" since it messes up all the non-self-referenced vertical measurements.

Just for kicks, I tried doing a self-calibration with 50 ohms terminators on the inputs instead of nothing. That appears to have cut the DC offset errors roughly in half on both of my DS1054Zs. Offsets still jump around a bit when enabling and disabling channels though.

Offline BlueBill

• Regular Contributor

:wtf:

I recall only channel 1 has a hardware frequency counter.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
You can select the channel you wish but I think you also have to have the trigger set to the same channel too.

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
As well as if the signal level isn't high enough the counter doesn't register the correct value from what I've observed
Sandra

Offline DanielS

• Frequent Contributor
Another wish-bug: the scope always defaults to the Chinese "keyboard" input method so, every time I want to enter a name, I need to remember to switch it to plain English first. My UI language is set to English, why in heck would I want my keyboard to default to Chinese when the UI is set to any latin-alphabet language in the first place?

It would also be nice if the base file name for automatic save and print file numbering could be edited, even if the changes themselves were only temporary.

• Frequent Contributor
Another wish-bug: the scope always defaults to the Chinese "keyboard" input method so, every time I want to enter a name, I need to remember to switch it to plain English first. My UI language is set to English, why in heck would I want my keyboard to default to Chinese when the UI is set to any latin-alphabet language in the first place?

That sounds like a bug, but I don't see that happening on my scope.  Can you give a more specific example along with your firmware version.

It would also be nice if the base file name for automatic save and print file numbering could be edited, even if the changes themselves were only temporary.

There's something like this on the wish list already.  I'll augment it with your suggestion.
-katie

Offline DanielS

• Frequent Contributor
That sounds like a bug, but I don't see that happening on my scope.  Can you give a more specific example along with your firmware version.
I don't see how much more specific I can be: turn the scope on, start trying to enter a file name (Storage->Save), realize it defaulted to Chinese, switch it back to Latin entry mode, finish doing whatever it is I was doing, turn the scope off, next time I power it on and need to enter a file name, the input method is back to Chinese.

I haven't updated the firmware yet - still on SP3.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 04:16:24 pm by DanielS »

• Frequent Contributor

I don't see how much more specific I can be: turn the scope on, start trying to enter a file name (Storage->Save), realize it defaulted to Chinese, switch it back to Latin entry mode, finish doing whatever it is I was doing, turn the scope off, next time I power it on and need to enter a file name, the input method is back to Chinese.

I haven't updated the firmware yet - still on SP3.

From the top of this thread:

This list is for software version: 00.04.02.SP4 only, with the current hardware (possibly only board 0.1.1).

I think that they changed the entry system in SP4 which is why I couldn't understand/see the problem you stated.
-katie

Offline rosbuitre

• Regular Contributor
Hi
Today I received my new DS1074Z
First mistake I see an entry showing a Board Version 0.2.2, in another 0.1.1 ???
happened to anyone?, does other weird things that go up after
SP3 was installed, install the new SP4 and the same error

Regards
Osvaldo

My instruments: DMM Keysight 34461A / Tektronix DMM916 / Fluke 12, Rigol DS1074Z, Deer DE-5000, Siglent SDG805 / SDP3303D, Dayton Dats2

Offline rosbuitre

• Regular Contributor
Another error?
With the two channels and pressing auto, OK
Disconnect channel 1 and 2 becomes unstable, disconnect the 2 and 1 OK, and 1V.
Only channel 2, auto and 500mV ???

Regards
Osvaldo

My instruments: DMM Keysight 34461A / Tektronix DMM916 / Fluke 12, Rigol DS1074Z, Deer DE-5000, Siglent SDG805 / SDP3303D, Dayton Dats2

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Another error?
Trigger is set to CH1.  :palm:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rosbuitre

• Regular Contributor
Another error?
Trigger is set to CH1.  :palm:

Tomorrow what I see  |O |O and what the board version, which can be?

Regards

Offline DanielS

• Frequent Contributor
From the top of this thread:

This list is for software version: 00.04.02.SP4 only, with the current hardware (possibly only board 0.1.1).

I think that they changed the entry system in SP4 which is why I couldn't understand/see the problem you stated.
Well, I just tried saving a file, had to switch the keyboard from Chinese to regular in "Storage->Save->New File" first as usual, turned the scope off, turned it back on, saved another new file, and the keyboard defaulted to Chinese with SP4 as well. So, my DS1054Z with SP4 still forgets that I do not write Chinese between reboots.

New wish-list item: downloading screen caps from the LXI web interface - simply add a page where the current screen output can be grabbed by refreshing the page, then the user can save that image whichever way they want. The LXI interface is already there, already has full access to scope functions including screen caps and already has a web server providing LXI device information pages. Adding a page to see the current screen output with manual refresh should be close to trivial.

Offline Dave Turner

• Frequent Contributor
If the FPGA(s) etc are approaching maximum capability, then perhaps we should consider trade-offs.

What might be sacrificed for the requested improvements?  >:D

OK I'm teasing a little because no-one truly want's to lose a capability - but!!!

Offline DanielS

• Frequent Contributor
If the FPGA(s) etc are approaching maximum capability, then perhaps we should consider trade-offs.
The majority of tweaks on the list are UI-related and I seriously doubt the FPGA is involved with the UI itself beyond triggering, accumulating waveform data and calculating measurements/stats/events that require full sample rate processing. Same goes for the LXI, USB and related features - much too expensive to do in RTL.

Things like correcting the input DC offsets are mostly a software thing too, albeit with reuse of existing FPGA functions and other hardware: software puts the input muxes on enabled channels to GND, reads the FPGA's DC value measurements, adjusts input bias until all active channels read as close to zero DC as possible, restores the input muxes' original settings, done. The 1000z already does it during Self-Cal, but that is hopeless when offsets vary depending on channel combination or sometimes, even with the order in which they were enabled. Many scopes do this sort of quick-cal whenever channels get turned on/off or a vertical scale gets changed. If Rigol wrote their self-cal routines well, this "feature" should cost little more than a single function call to the relevant existing function that iteratively zeroes off currently enabled channel(s). They might want to use the previous calibration values as a starting point to skip the part of self-cal where inputs get railed though - the current self-cal routines appear to start from scratch every time.

Offline Dave Turner

• Frequent Contributor
DanielS -  I  stated 'FPGAS etc' to include all forms of reprogrammable media as opposed to hardware limitation.

Whilst admittedly teasing a little I'm also serious. What might be omitted to allow for extra facility in another direction?

Would it be possible to reprogram the scope to be more suited for different scenarios? I don't know, but the concept is interesting.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf