Author Topic: Rigol DS1000Z Series Triggering/Averaging/Data Acquisition - Count Averages  (Read 1678 times)

Offline PeLaTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi there,

I am about half way through adapting a python script that I had written for a Tektronix DPO3000  to work with the DS1000Z series. It automatically sets up the scope to certain parameters, acquires, averages, transfers data, oversamples and plots.
I am using the pyvisa library and just send the commands specified in the programming guide. So far so good.

I noticed what appears to be a severe limitation for my application:
When I set up a certain number (let's say 512) of desired averages on a Tektronix scope (ACQuire:NUMAVg 4) and set the scope to averaging, I query the scope every now and then (ACQuire:NUMACq?) to find out whether the desired number of averages have finished acquiring, so that I can initiate the data transfer.
When I try the same thing on the Rigol, I send :ACQuire:AVERages 512 to set up 512 averages and set the scope to averaging. However I could not find any way to determine whether the averaging is complete, i.e. 512 averages have been acquired... and for my application I need to know that.

I have read the programmers manual up and down and have looked in lots of places on the net but could not find a way to get this to work.

Hence my questions: Has anyone managed to do that in the past? Does anyone have a good idea on how to achieve that?

Thanks in advance!
Peter

• Contributor
Update: After a good night's sleep, I found a way to display the number of "counts" for a given item on the screen in statistics mode:
            :MEASure:STATistic:MODE DIFF
            :MEASure:STATistic:ITEM NPULSES,CHANNEL1
The item type does not have to be NPULSES, it can also be any(?) other statistics item.
This will display the current value, average value, deviation and most importantly, the COUNTS. That's exactly the value I need.

However, I haven't yet found a way to ask for the counts in a command... there has to be a way!

Anyone?

• Contributor
Alright. I've tried absolutely everything I can think of. Can't be done. Filing it as a bug.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf